Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

95 Integra Engine swap

Old 03-29-2019, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Integra Engine swap

I have a 5-speed 95 Integra ls and am new to the Honda scene. I want to know what b-series is best for performance to swap my engine to B18c, B20? Or should I keep my original b18b and if so what mods would I do to whichever choice gives me max performance power?

Last edited by teggy_ryder; 03-29-2019 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Fix title
Old 03-29-2019, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 95 Integra Engine swap

if you have a daily driver, the b18c1 (GS-R) is perfect IMO, it has a low vtec point at 4400 , 8k rpm redline, so lots of useable powerband. I like the dual stage intake manifold personally on a daily driver. Not much about this engine I don't like. Slap on a header, test pipe and decent exhaust and it has all you need.

If you want something with more top end power the b18c5 Type R motor with single stage manifold is great, if you want boost then a purpose built b20 is great.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I use the GSR b18c1 would I use the GSR tranny? I saw threads saying if you use a b16 tranny it gives you shorter shift ratio and is better but are they still compatibile if not what adjustments need to be made to this conversion
Old 03-30-2019, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by teggy_ryder
I have a 5-speed 95 Integra ls and am new to the Honda scene. I want to know what b-series is best for performance to swap my engine to B18c, B20? Or should I keep my original b18b and if so what mods would I do to whichever choice gives me max performance power?
Save the time and money and just invest on a turbo kit for the LS engine you have if you are new to the scene skip all the BS and just boost the engine you have, contact GoAutoworks for there recommendations for a kit suitable to your needs. The vtec engines wont feel that much more different N.A. You will have a little more power but that's it! eventually you will want to go boost! I just drove a friend of mines 98 LS that has what he said the cheapest Turbo kit he could find on EBAY ($650) and slapped it on with a base map and street tune for 9psi about 250HP and wow that thing felt so fun! He did this for fun to see how well and how long the ebay kit last and so far itr runs strong but I don't ever recommend these cheap kits, get a quality kit. And this is coming from a guy who drives a built supercharged B18C5 Integra Type R 350+HP with 12psi. Then you still have the option to convert the top cylinder head with a GSR or B16 or Type R vtec head! giving you the advantage of Vtec. Or even just put a Vtec head and tune and run around with a LSvtec engine setup, its not that complicated and theres tons of writes or just have a friend or shop help do it. But a simple turbo kit on that LS is going to be super fun compared to any N.A GSR or B18c5 swap with bolt ons. GL.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teggy_ryder
If I use the GSR b18c1 would I use the GSR tranny? I saw threads saying if you use a b16 tranny it gives you shorter shift ratio and is better but are they still compatibile if not what adjustments need to be made to this conversion
You'll end up at a higher RPM on the freeway. GSR is about 4000RPM at 80 MPH. My USDM TypeR is about 4400 RPM at 80 MPH (I am very happy with this combo, but I'm always in VTEC on the freeway). Shorter gears = more shifting and faster acceleration. Just look for a gear calculator online and plug the different transmissions gear ratios in (should be in the FAQ). The differences could be overall final drive, or each separate gear ratio.

As much as I enjoy boost, I wouldn't recommend jumping right into forced induction for someone new to the Honda scene. Trial by fire?
Old 04-01-2021, 04:13 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Save the time and money and just invest on a turbo kit for the LS engine you have if you are new to the scene skip all the BS and just boost the engine you have, contact GoAutoworks for there recommendations for a kit suitable to your needs. The vtec engines wont feel that much more different N.A. You will have a little more power but that's it! eventually you will want to go boost! I just drove a friend of mines 98 LS that has what he said the cheapest Turbo kit he could find on EBAY ($650) and slapped it on with a base map and street tune for 9psi about 250HP and wow that thing felt so fun! He did this for fun to see how well and how long the ebay kit last and so far itr runs strong but I don't ever recommend these cheap kits, get a quality kit. And this is coming from a guy who drives a built supercharged B18C5 Integra Type R 350+HP with 12psi. Then you still have the option to convert the top cylinder head with a GSR or B16 or Type R vtec head! giving you the advantage of Vtec. Or even just put a Vtec head and tune and run around with a LSvtec engine setup, its not that complicated and theres tons of writes or just have a friend or shop help do it. But a simple turbo kit on that LS is going to be super fun compared to any N.A GSR or B18c5 swap with bolt ons. GL.
Very good advice! All common sense approaches.