Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

94 ls restore or retire? Long post.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 ls restore or retire? Long post.

I've had my 1994 Ls Automatic Integra since I was 16, 7 years later it's got 224k miles on it I'm itching for something faster but budget is hindering.

The wife has given me the ok to take out a personal loan in lieu of a car loan to restore a car, I have a 79 Firebird no T-Tops needs a new motor also an automatic. My 94 Integra, or I could pick up a run to the ground 240sx and do an SR20det swap.

I'm not here to ask which car I should but rather if what I want out of my Intergra is feasible if I'd be better off getting a car loan for a Gsr or an ITR if I can find one in my price range.

What I would want done in order to keep my Integra (which I would love as I am so comfortable in the car and everyone knows me as the guy with the Integra. I need a new dashboard, A/C control, air vents, steering wheel. When I was younger and MUCH, MUCH more dumb I painted my interior blue and white, I was too lazy to remove the dash and painted it with brushes and latex paint. If its possible I would rather remove and clean the pieces up but I'm unsure how successful I would be in doing so. The A/C control area and vents above have to be replace as my dash was shattered by a hammer when some punks stole my cd player.

The motor needs some TLC 224k miles I'm unsure if rebuilding it with forged pistons and doing an LS-vtec would allow me to run enough boost to get it moving like we all want it to.

The automatic transmission has got to go If I were to keep the Integra. My understanding is its not too difficult to rectify the mistake of buying a slushbox.

Sitting with 224k miles I'm not sure what suspension upgrades would get me respectable handling numbers. The main reason I want to go with the Integra over the Firebird is the handling potential of the two.

There are cosmetic upgrades I would want to make fresh paint Jdm ITR front end newer taillights ITR wing but those are all minor. I'd also want fresh carpet but that's not as important as making sure it runs well.

So I suppose what I want to know is if I put the money into the engine/suspension given the age will I get my moneys worth? I'm expecting a 10-12k dollar range for a rebuild project or 15-18 for a car loan.

Cliffs: 1994 LS 224k miles automatic. Would an engine rebuild w/ possible ls vtec, suspension upgrades, auto to manual conversion, refinishing the interior be a superior way to spend the money over purchasing a used Gsr or ITR and hoping to talk the wife into letting me spend money on car toys later.

Minor Note: I would do as much of the wrench turning as possible I have access to a garage with air compressor a decent mechanical knowledge which is growing (in school for auto tech atm). Would find reputable shop for things that require a greater knowledge, know how and tool set than I have.

I appreciate any help and sorry for the long post.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

welll.......If you are going to do al the work yourself, that is if you have tha time....I would do it.....because then you have the satisfaction of doing it all by yourself and you know it was a damn good job
Old 06-29-2007, 05:46 AM

I would do as much on my own as possible. The auto to manual swap, a motor swap if that would be the most sensible route for boosted glory. Obviously cosmetic work and possibly internal engine work would be handled by those with better knowledge unless what needs to be done internaly can be handled by myself.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:43 AM

Default Re: 94 ls restore or retire? Long post. (Integrick)

I understand the satisfaction of building your own car to be what you want it to be, but in all honesty, if you are going to dump 10k into that LS, you'd be better off buying a GSR or ITR and then selling the LS (or keeping it as a daily if you buy an R).
Old 06-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 ls restore or retire? Long post. (Integrick)

In my opinion, it does not make financial sense to restore the LS. But hey, if it's the satisfaction you're after, go for it.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:30 AM

I say build the car up. =]
Old 06-29-2007, 10:58 AM

Looking for a reliable toy pretty much. Sick of having a slow car, I'm by all means not looking for an 10-11sec car but I'd like to have something that can run in the 13.3x's and still rip through the country roads on a nice day.

To those that support the idea of building up my old girl which route would make more sense rebuilding the ls motor and "frankenstiening" it (do people still call it that?). Or buying a gsr/ITR motor puting forged pistons etc in and then boosting it?

Speaking of boost, aside from all the actual turbo related goodies, manifold downpipe, test pipe, turbo itself, intercooler etc etc what would need to be done to a 224k mile motor for safe reliable boost or are we way passed that stage?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Re: (Integrick)

At the very minimum, I would rebuild the engine. There are many schools of thought with regard to building turbo motors. It really all comes down to budget. There are many who run stock blocks, and many who build fully built ls/vtec or GSR turbos. I would say that you need to figure out how much you can afford, what else you need/want to do to the car and how much you will have over to put into building an engine. If you have a budget, you will have to make compromises (not necessarily sacrifices) somewhere.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: 94 ls restore or retire? Long post. (Rainmaker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rainmaker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In my opinion, it does not make financial sense to restore the LS. But hey, if it's the satisfaction you're after, go for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not so sure about this. Apparently, the interior is basically ruined at this point, because it's painted, and also smashed by thieves. So I imagine the trade-in value would be quite low, if he could get anyone to even buy it in that condition. I'm guessing the only person who would buy this would be someone wanting to undertake a similar restoration project as he does, and that person isn't exactly going to pay blue-book value.

So if he's willing to do all the work himself, I imagine it probably would make financial sense to restore it, since the alternative is basically to sell it for scrap, part it out, etc.

It might take some time, but it shouldn't be that hard to fix up; he just needs to browse the for-sale forum here on honda-tech every day, and on Craigslist, and look for people parting out junked Integras, and buy the necessary interior pieces that way. The engine/transmission swap will probably cost more, and be more work, though that depends on what kind of engine he decides on. An older LS transmission should be available for dirt-cheap, for instance, if he's going the LSVTEC route, or just building up his LS engine.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 PM

The interior is in working condition most of the paint has been removed certain pieces are still stained blue. the ac control area was "repaired" with a bonding compound but looks kinda ghetto and is an eye sore. My roommates brother has agreed to buy the car for 1k. He's typical high school student with a grocery store job so I'd be selling the car to him in payments.

Bang for the buck which is superior buying a gsr motor forged pistons and some boost or rebuilding the ls motor with stronger parts and adding boost?

While we're at it since I don't have access to the kills crew right now (Was an old member here and can't remember the e-mail or password to my old account). Any opinions on a car that can see mid 13's in the 1/4 and show strong handling aggressive characteristics.

Modified by Integrick at 10:46 PM 6/29/2007