Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

94 integra ls overheating. Help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 94 integra ls overheating. Help please

What going on ht,

So my 94 integra ls is overheating. It happened yesterday after I took my cat and the rest of my exhaust off. I was driving open header to a parts store when I realized my temp needle was almost at H. I quickly parked my car and shut it off. At first I thought I had something to do with running open headers because whenever I revved the motor the temp needle would go down. Then I got home and thought that it could have been because the car fell off the jack and the jack got stuck in front of the bumper support. I asked my around for a new radiator and my cousin had one. The only thing was that he had a jdm type r full size radiator which I was told was the same. So I drove to pick it up and noticed that revving then motor was not as effective anymore. I then went back home and parked my car. Today morning I wake up to go to work and the car starts fine and the temp is a little over the C. As I was on my 15 min drive to work the car started overheating again. (I was steadily driving 65mph at 3000rpms) this is when I began to turn the car off as it started heating up as I was driving on the freeway. (I don't know why, I just did it) I finally made it to work. On the way home my the car started heating up again and then I started turning the car off again. About 5 minutes into my ride hon my car starts smoking so I pulled into a gas station and opened my hood just to realize, that my radiator cap had broken open. I grabbed a rag cleaned it all up and let it cool down then i took off once again. About 3 miles late I had to make another put stop and this time I decided to put water in the radiator. The water was sufficent to make it home. As soon as I get home I turn the car off and call my other cousin and my uncle. They came over and said that it was the radiator cap. So I went to autozone and bought a 1.8 non vtec Radiator cap. I come home put it on an drive to my friends house. Half way there the needle starts moving up fast so once again I turn the motor off and let it cool down all whole coasting does the freeway. I finally get there and just give it up. Later that night on the way home the car barely overheated but was on its way up. I then decide to change the radiator from my stock one to the jdm type r. I then filled the radiator up with anti freeze and still no change. After I finish I take the car out for another spin, just to see the temp needle rise pass the midpoint and almost reaching the H. I let the car sit for about 10 mins and watched the temp gauge, after 10 mins the needle was almost at the H and the white smoke started coming from the radiator cap .I don't know what it could be and this is my only car so I need it to get back and forth from work and college. Please help me!!! Thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 integra ls overheating. Help please

Did u bleed the cooling system from any air????
Old 08-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats up man, now before you start over thinking this ( which you already have) start with the very basics. First off, if the car is over heating, driving it and revving it to get the needle to come down is not going to it. Start by properly bleeding the cooling system like JDMjunkie stated.

second, once that is completed start your car and let it idle. Observe your needle and engine bay and ensure the cooling fan is coming on. make sure you have the heater cycling. the blower motor does not have to be on. If your fan is coming on, is it coming on with power, meaning is blowing some air.

If all that is checking out and car is at operating temps, with care, check your hoses. by this time they should be pretty much both hot. If not you have a stuck thermostate. A clogged radiator can have the same effect.

if this passes, chances are you have a blown head gasket. You did state smoke so it might be blown already.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I drained the old radiator and put new coolant in the new radiator and I let the car run with the radiator cap on and still it over heats. Should I then run it without the cap? The Smoke is coming from the radiator cap not the muffler.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol
Old 08-20-2013, 05:14 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If it is "smoke" coming from the rad cap you have a problem, my guess is it is steam, in which case you need to replace the rad cap, nothing should be coming from the rad cap.

Park car with front end up a little, [uphill in a drive way works] remove rad cap, [do this with engine cold, NOT HOT, start engine and let it idle untill at running temp., [gauge about 1/2 way point] at that point the thermostat should open and you should see coolant flow looking through rad cap hole, if so, watch for bubbles, if you see any bubbles before thermostat opens, you have a blown HG, if you do not see coolant flowing, thermostat is stuck closed, replace it.

If you have coolant flow, and bubbles, run engine untill there are no bubbles and rad fan has turned on at least 3 times, if rad fan does not turn on, check rad fan and circuit.

Your Integra should also have a bleeder valve on the upper rad hose fitting on engine. 94