Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

92 Integra Gsr stumble/hesitation/misfire under 2500rpms

Old 08-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 92 Integra Gsr stumble/hesitation/misfire under 2500rpms

New Problem PLZ help next post down v v v v

Okay i need your help and yes ive done days of research before i posted but this is my last resort. I just rebuilt my motor (B17a1) all stock oem and im having a problem accelerating and revving below 2500 rpms.. When cruising around in any gear the car just bogs down and want accelerate period until 2500 rpms and then it acts like normal an accelerates like its suppose to at anything above 2500 rpms.. It also does it when sitting in neutral and just revving the throttle at anything below 2500 rpms.. The car is really impossible to drive and starts to shake and bulk everywhere an feels like the motor gonna fall out. So my question is what could it be????

I've already:
-checked my timing everything is in line haven't jumped a tooth
-looked for vacuum leaks haven't found any known ones
-set ignition timing
-did a valve lash adjustment
-check spark plug gap (.052) burning white
-the only CEL im getting is code 22 for vtec pressure switch so vtec doesnt work but that a whole different issue i hope. i just need the hesitation fixed so i can drive it i dont need vtec for awhile until motor broke in..

To me it kind sounds like its misfire or something i just really need someone else advice and help to send me in the right direction so any help is well appreciated.. I just spent $2000 getting this thing rebuilt and for it not to be running right and acting like this is a headache I havnt driven it in 7 months cause the timing belt went and i just put all this money in to the rebuild so Thanks To Any Help!!!

Last edited by LS Turbo300; 08-23-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: New problem
Old 08-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: 92 Integra Gsr stumble/hesitation/misfire under 2500rpms

OKAY!!!! New problem!!! Just went to recheck my ignition timing and was gonna advance it a lil bit to see if that took the hesitation away well this is the order things happen in.. Started the car letting it warm up and then i jumped the ecu connector under glove box hooked timing light up an still waiting for car to warm up completely, pulled on the throttle cable to give it a little gas to see if i could hear any denotation before i advanced the timing a bit more and the cars idle started surging so i figured if i cut the car off an back on the surging would go away an i could assume checking the timing well i turned the car off and went to turn it back on and now the car want START!!!! So i noticed the ecu connector was still jumped so i unplugged it thinking that why it wouldnt start but that didnt work.. The check engine light stays on when ignition is on but it doesnt read any codes when i jump the ecu... Did I fry my ecu???

eeerrrr this car is driving me crazy but im determined to fix it so please help thanks!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 Integra Gsr stumble/hesitation/misfire under 2500rpms

****Bump

247 views and nobody can help

PLZ Help!!! I need this thing running by sunday
Old 08-24-2012, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

alright. clearly we need to get the car running before more diagnostics can be performed. or possibly it is part of the same problem.
so, im assuming that the car does crank, but wont turn over, yes?
if so, check for spark. do not just use a screwdriver or ground out the spark plug. this puts absolutely no load on the ignition system. buy an HEI tester. theyre dirt cheap and simulate the load placed on the ignition system inside the combustion chamber. also, make sure the spark is consistent, and not random.
if you have spark, move onto fuel. a gaugewould be ideal, but you can at least check and see if youre getting fuel to the rail. if you are, check for injector pulse.

please report back with your findings
Old 08-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay well this morning i went out there and got the car to start on the first try but just a min ago i got done getting the air out the coolant system and cut the car off and now it want start again so idk what it could be the motor turns over it just want start completely up some times.. So what could this be???

Also when it started this morning i went ahead and messed with the ignition timing and i found that the only way to keep the car from bogging, hesitating, an bulking every below 2500 rpms is when the timing is advanced above 18 degrees before TDC.. It runs pretty strong with it advanced 4 or 5 degrees above 18 degree before TDC and any thing below it likes to hesitate..

So my question is what can cause hesitation an bogging below 2500rpms when the timing is set below 18 degrees before TDC??? I know stock timing is 16 degrees before TDC so why does it run like crap when its below 18 degrees???

Thanks to all, will continue trying to problem solve while waiting on feed back!!!

Last edited by LS Turbo300; 08-24-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 08-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay i figured it out the fuel pump isnt priming every time i go to start the car and the main realy doesnt click every time either.. I was out there a min ago and didnt here the fuel pump priming or the relays clicking when i turn the key to the ON position so i let it sit for a few mins and it tried it again and the fuel pump primed, main relays clicked and the car started right up.. So what could be causing the main relays and fuel pump not to prime every time??? Bad ground???
Old 08-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this happen to my GSR. Take the vtec solenoid off, take it art and clean the WHOLE thing, spray into the pressure switch's little hole and clean it out. Put it all back together, put it on and hopefully that cures it! GL
Old 08-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the pressure swtch wont have anything to do with the priming circuit.
op, remove the main relay and open it up. look for any solder joints with any fractures. look closely. if you find any, reflow the solder, or replace the relay with a known working unit
Old 08-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay I looked at the main relay last night and i did see one visible crack and im pretty sure the relay is the problem and some of the solders were warn down like there was no solder therebut right now i really cant do anything right now bc i had to drop the transmission this morning to get it fully rebuilt Monday and should get it back Wednesday and plan on having it running next Saturday morning after school ends next week..

But what kind of cleaner should i use to clean the vtec solenoid and vtec pressure switch hole??
Also any more input on why my car likes to bog an hesitate on anything below 18 degrees before TDC on the ignition timing????

Thanks for all reply's taking every ones advice and seems to be helping me figure this thing out still stumped on bogging an hesitation below 2500rpm on regular timing????
Old 08-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

fix/replace the relay. see if that cures the hesitation. it is highly probable
Old 12-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to bump super old thread but I'm having the same issues with an 96 LS Integra. OP did you have any luck with the main relay? I started having the issue after replacing the distributor but during the troubleshooting process I also swapped the main relay with another used one. Both the relay and the dizzy that I put in were used (I know, not trying to break the bank while troubleshooting).

Things I've tried:

-Ignition Timing
-Cap/Rotor
-Advancing/Retarding timing (issue changes, but doesn't fix it)