Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

91DA Couple of questions on recharging the AC system

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 91DA Couple of questions on recharging the AC system

For those that own second gens, originally they used R 12 refrigerants and are non exsistant correct? From researching, the R12s are bad for the environment and that the R134a is the one out there in stores avaliable. I understand that you need an adaptor (retrofit) on the factory port.

Do I need to remove the old R12 stuff out of the AC system in order to add R134a refrigerant? Can both R12 and R134a be compatiable in the AC system?

Btw the coolness in the car is not completely drained. But I feel its not as cool as it was before.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 91DA Couple of questions on recharging the AC system

absolutely not compatible. technically, a true retrofit should also include new o rings suited for r134. since the molecules of r134 are smaller than 12 and could leak past the older o rings. but most just run the old o rings. usually without issue
Old 08-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are mechanically inclined you can install a retrofit kit yourself. In most states it is not illegal for you do discharge R12 to the atmosphere if you are working on your personal vehicle at home (laws are different for shops because they deal with larger quantities). Just be sure to wear gloves and eye protection and ovoid getting any R12 on you! Install the retrofit kit and then have a shop pull a vacuum on the system and charge it. Like el crapitan said, you should change the o-rings as well, otherwise you will likely have to recharge the system every year or two due to small leaks.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone know how to discharge the r12? i really wanna get my ac system recharged too. Im tired of rollin around with my windows down. lol
Old 08-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vallejoda9
does anyone know how to discharge the r12? i really wanna get my ac system recharged too. Im tired of rollin around with my windows down. lol
Seems like we need to take to the shop. They have the equipment to discharge. Then we have to retrofit the valves and add the r134a stuff. Unless you can find a set of r12s around.

Anyone know how much shops charge for this type of work?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's like letting air out of a tire. Trace the lines from the A/C compressor, both the low side and high side lines have Schroeder valves. Uncap the valves and (while wearing gloves and eye protection!) use a long screwdriver to depress the pin and let the refrigerant out. The long screw driver is so you can stay a safe distance away. Drain the refrigerant out from both ports to be sure all the pressure is released.
Next unbolt the lines from the compressor (make sure you are still wearing protective gear in case any R12 is still in the system), remove the O-rings and install new R134a compatible ones, then reattach the lines. Next install your R134a retrofit kit.
After you have everything back together it's time to go to an A/C system certified shop. They will pull a vacuum on the system to remove any air and then charge the system with the exact amount of R134a. This should cost between $100- $200 depending on the labor rate for your area.
Having a shop do everything for you will likely be over $200.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Double Agent
It's like letting air out of a tire. Trace the lines from the A/C compressor, both the low side and high side lines have Schroeder valves. Uncap the valves and (while wearing gloves and eye protection!) use a long screwdriver to depress the pin and let the refrigerant out. The long screw driver is so you can stay a safe distance away. Drain the refrigerant out from both ports to be sure all the pressure is released.
Next unbolt the lines from the compressor (make sure you are still wearing protective gear in case any R12 is still in the system), remove the O-rings and install new R134a compatible ones, then reattach the lines. Next install your R134a retrofit kit.
After you have everything back together it's time to go to an A/C system certified shop. They will pull a vacuum on the system to remove any air and then charge the system with the exact amount of R134a. This should cost between $100- $200 depending on the labor rate for your area.
Having a shop do everything for you will likely be over $200.
Thanks. When I took it to the shop to vacuum the system, the tech asked how did I removed the r12 freon. I simply told him I pressed the pin on the valves. He looked very surprised. And said I shouldn't have done that. He explained why but I never thought of that. I had no idea for reals. So why do they still sell areosol cans then? I think that stuff is more out there than r12 stuff.

Anyway, All is done. thanks again
Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what we're here for man. Glad to hear everything worked! Yes, it's bad for the ozone layer, but believe it or not it is legal for you to vent R12 to the atmosphere in your driveway. It's illegal for shops because they deal with it in large quantities. The most you've done is hurt the feelings of a few hippies.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R12 is very illegal to release into the atmosphere... Its a 50K doller fine for doing it. Thats an EPA law not a state law, hope no one ratted you out.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, so after reading peoples' responses to my previous post I did some research, apparently I was very misinformed. Definitely illegal for anyone to vent R12 to atmosphere. So... my apologies! I wish I could remember where I heard otherwise!
I need a face-palm emoticon.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
R12 is very illegal to release into the atmosphere... Its a 50K doller fine for doing it. Thats an EPA law not a state law, hope no one ratted you out.
We shall see. It has been a couple of days since the work. I highly doubt it.

Double-agent-- No worries man. thanks for helping me out.