No
61.68%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Is a 5-lug conversion worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is a 5-lug conversion worth it?

well while i have a lot of ppl putting in input, does anyone have a pic of a thunder grey metallic teg with the white CTR wheels? I think it would look sick
Old 07-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope! not worth it. just get good brake pads, rotors, ss-lines and your all good.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:29 AM

Hey the dark grey with white wheels deff looks sick. do it.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not worth another Type R getting stolen!!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Integra 11" kit $630: http://www.fastbrakes.com/ProductDet...DC+11+inch+kit

Or for $120 more you can go up to 12.2" rotors with 4-pot Wilwood calipers (requires 16" or larger wheels): http://www.fastbrakes.com/ProductDet...tegra+140+6163
thank you good sir
Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from TI

http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/...at=1098&page=1

BRAKE PACKAGE COMBO 3 (POWERSLOT/HAWK HPS/EARLS/CUSCO) #17219

Total package includes:

Powerslot Slotted Rotors (front pair)
Powerslot Slotted Rotors (rear pair)
Hawk HPS front pads
Hawk HPS rear pads
Earl's Steel Braided brake lines (front/rear)
Cusco Master Cylinder Brace

This package includes front and rear slotted rotors by PowerSlot. By upgrading to slotted rotors, you help evacuate gasses and dust, shed heat, and keep the brake pad surface clean. In wet and raining conditions, the rotors help push water off the braking surface for better stopping power.

By adding Hawk Performance HPS pads to your slotted rotor upgrade, you get the best combination of brake performance for your vehicle. Hawk HPS pads are the best choice for street driven as well as weekend autocross or track day events.

Reinforcing the brake master cylinder with the Cusco MC brace will keep the firewall from flexing during frequent and/or hard braking keeping consistant brake pedal feel.

Finish off the system with Earl's Steel Braided brake lines and you'll have a responsive brake system setup for your street/track vehicle. Details Price: $575.00!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:58 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loveO
Nope! not worth it. just get good brake pads, rotors, ss-lines and your all good.
Brake pads can make a difference in your braking performance. Not as big a difference as tires, though. If you're already using really sticky tires, then pads can be a nice upgrade, but if you're not, they won't give you any improvement.

Rotors won't make any difference in your braking performance. They will be more resistant to cracking when used on the racetrack, but they won't reduce your stopping distances. And they won't make any difference on the street.

Stainless steel brake lines won't give you better braking performance either. Some people recommend them to improve pedal feel by reducing the flex/swelling in the brake lines. Does your brake pedal feel spongey? Mine doesn't.

Originally Posted by Hatorade
This package includes front and rear slotted rotors by PowerSlot. By upgrading to slotted rotors, you help evacuate gasses and dust, shed heat, and keep the brake pad surface clean. In wet and raining conditions, the rotors help push water off the braking surface for better stopping power.

By adding Hawk Performance HPS pads to your slotted rotor upgrade, you get the best combination of brake performance for your vehicle. Hawk HPS pads are the best choice for street driven as well as weekend autocross or track day events.

Reinforcing the brake master cylinder with the Cusco MC brace will keep the firewall from flexing during frequent and/or hard braking keeping consistant brake pedal feel.

Finish off the system with Earl's Steel Braided brake lines and you'll have a responsive brake system setup for your street/track vehicle.
Wow, that's the most ridiculous post I've read! "rotors help push water off the braking surface for better stopping power" - LOL!!! Same thing about that brace and the brake lines - LOL!!!

Hawk makes a variety of pads, but the HPS is NOT their high performance pad; it's their OEM replacement pad for people who are concerned about noise and dusting. (Their HP+ pad is the one for the purposes mentioned here.)

Apparently this post was written by someone's marketing department, not anyone who has actually tried these parts!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

5 lug ftw..do it if you like it, Ftw
Old 07-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxtasy
Brake pads can make a difference in your braking performance. Not as big a difference as tires, though. If you're already using really sticky tires, then pads can be a nice upgrade, but if you're not, they won't give you any improvement.

Rotors won't make any difference in your braking performance. They will be more resistant to cracking when used on the racetrack, but they won't reduce your stopping distances. And they won't make any difference on the street.

Stainless steel brake lines won't give you better braking performance either. Some people recommend them to improve pedal feel by reducing the flex/swelling in the brake lines. Does your brake pedal feel spongey? Mine doesn't.
what about high temp brake fluid?

so in order of importance (for circuit racing)
#1 - tires
#2 - pads
#3 - rotors (for surface area)
#4 - SS brake lines
#5 - brake fluid

is that right?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would place fluid before pads.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from TI

http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/...at=1098&page=1

BRAKE PACKAGE COMBO 3 (POWERSLOT/HAWK HPS/EARLS/CUSCO) #17219

Total package includes:

Powerslot Slotted Rotors (front pair)
Powerslot Slotted Rotors (rear pair)
Hawk HPS front pads
Hawk HPS rear pads
Earl's Steel Braided brake lines (front/rear)
Cusco Master Cylinder Brace

Finish off the system with Earl's Steel Braided brake lines and you'll have a responsive brake system setup for your street/track vehicle. Details Price: $575.00!!!
complete waste of money, the wilwood kit is this price and not only upgrades the rotor size, you get larger, stronger calipers
Old 07-29-2009, 05:56 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about high temp brake fluid?

so in order of importance (for circuit racing)
#1 - tires
#2 - pads
#3 - rotors (for surface area)
#4 - SS brake lines
#5 - brake fluid

is that right?
Dogginator said he would place fluid before pads. I would even consider placing it before tires. The reason for high-temperature fluid isn't to make your braking distances shorter; it's to keep the fluid from boiling. (Although your distances will be a lot longer if your fluid boils.) Also, regarding fluid, it's important that the fluid be reasonably fresh, as well as high-temperature, since the boiling point goes down over time as the fluid absorbs moisture. Fresh fluid, preferably high-temp fluid, is essential for track use.

Pads and tires are both important, in different ways. I would go on the track with low-performance tires before I would go on the track with low-performance brake pads. It's not that the tires aren't important to braking performance; they are. But low-performance brake pads could fade and/or get used up quickly, so like the fluid, they become a safety issue, more so than a performance issue.

If you've never been on the track before, you'll want to get fresh fluid, preferably high-temp fluid. If you're using decent pads, i.e. stock or better for higher-performance cars, maybe something a bit better than stock for lower-performance cars, that's all you really need for your first few track events. And you can use whatever tires you use on the street. Once you start building experience, then you'll want to consider what to change, and tires and pads may both be on that list. If you have decent, fresh fluid, decent tires, and decent pads, then getting better tires will give you more of a performance upgrade than better pads. But if you're doing a lot of track driving, you probably have upgraded all three already.

The main benefit of bigger rotors isn't substantially shorter stopping distances, but heat management, i.e. avoiding ill effects like cracking or fluid boiling. Depending on what car you have, your stock rotors may be perfectly fine, even on the track. If you've done everything else and you're having issues with cracking etc, then you might consider bigger rotors. For street driving, they won't make any difference at all.

I've never found any need for stainless steel brake lines. In over 200 track events and 30,000 actual track miles, I've never had a spongey brake pedal. Ever. When race cars use SS lines, they replace them pretty often (every season or two), as there are maintenance issues with abrasion inside the lines. If you have a spongey brake pedal even with fresh fluid, you might consider them, or you might just want to replace your brake lines with new rubber lines. Again, no difference for street driving.

Last edited by nsxtasy; 07-29-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxtasy
Dogginator said he would place fluid before pads. I would even consider placing it before tires. The reason for high-temperature fluid isn't to make your braking distances shorter; it's to keep the fluid from boiling. (Although your distances will be a lot longer if your fluid boils.) Also, regarding fluid, it's important that the fluid be reasonably fresh, as well as high-temperature, since the boiling point goes down over time as the fluid absorbs moisture. Fresh fluid, preferably high-temp fluid, is essential for track use.

Pads and tires are both important, in different ways. I would go on the track with low-performance tires before I would go on the track with low-performance brake pads. It's not that the tires aren't important to braking performance; they are. But low-performance brake pads could fade and/or get used up quickly, so like the fluid, they become a safety issue, more so than a performance issue.

If you've never been on the track before, you'll want to get fresh fluid, preferably high-temp fluid. If you're using decent pads, i.e. stock or better for higher-performance cars, maybe something a bit better than stock for lower-performance cars, that's all you really need for your first few track events. And you can use whatever tires you use on the street. Once you start building experience, then you'll want to consider what to change, and tires and pads may both be on that list. If you have decent, fresh fluid, decent tires, and decent pads, then getting better tires will give you more of a performance upgrade than better pads. But if you're doing a lot of track driving, you probably have upgraded all three already.

The main benefit of bigger rotors isn't substantially shorter stopping distances, but heat management, i.e. avoiding ill effects like cracking or fluid boiling. Depending on what car you have, your stock rotors may be perfectly fine, even on the track. If you've done everything else and you're having issues with cracking etc, then you might consider bigger rotors. For street driving, they won't make any difference at all.

I've never found any need for stainless steel brake lines. In over 200 track events and 30,000 actual track miles, I've never had a spongey brake pedal. Ever. When race cars use SS lines, they replace them pretty often (every season or two), as there are maintenance issues with abrasion inside the lines. If you have a spongey brake pedal even with fresh fluid, you might consider them, or you might just want to replace your brake lines with new rubber lines. Again, no difference for street driving.
woah thx for the great info!

hitting up a trackday Aug 3rd so I'll def invest in brake fluid and pads first! this should be stickyed.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by idrivesideways
complete waste of money, the wilwood kit is this price and not only upgrades the rotor size, you get larger, stronger calipers
wilwood front and rear brake kit for $600? show me
Old 07-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Nak

a 5 lug conversion looks nice, but for purpose i don't think you would need the upgrade
Old 07-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you just want the ITR-style wheels, there are also 4-lug ITR replicas out there.
Dont forget, The 94-97 JDM type R's came in 4x100. So instead of replica's, you can pick up some jdm 4-lug type R's
Old 07-31-2009, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Swiftstar
Dont forget, The 94-97 JDM type R's came in 4x114.3. So instead of replica's, you can pick up some jdm 4-lug type R's
Old 07-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is worth it if you like driving 100 mph on the freeway like i do AND you like to future-proof your pick in rims.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 GSR 5 Lug Conversion

I was wondering about this, is it possible, how much would it cost, what would I need. Is there a peformance increase with it? I really just wanted to do it because my cuz has some s2000 rims laying around, and the staggered look would be fresh on a gsr, right now I have Brembo drilled rotors with only 400 miles on them so I don't know if it will be worth it, but I just want to know how much it would cost. Should I just get ITR parts?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Reject Papi

Default Re: GSR 5 Lug Conversion

sometimes you can find an itr 5 lug conversion here on h-t for around 800 bucks or so. i've seen them for less, but from what i've seen thats average.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the 5 lug brakes will out perform anything you can do with the gsr stockers. bigger rotors and bigger calipers. 800 is a pretty good deal but they are major theft targets
Old 08-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by idrivesideways
the 5 lug brakes will out perform anything you can do with the gsr stockers. bigger rotors and bigger calipers. 800 is a pretty good deal but they are major theft targets
but 5 lug isn't the only upgrade option.

Nope, not worth it at all. You can easily get ITR-spec brakes while still retaining your 4x100 hubs for way less money than the full 5-lug swap.
Integra 11" kit $630: http://www.fastbrakes.com/ProductDet...DC+11+inch+kit

Or for $120 more you can go up to 12.2" rotors with 4-pot Wilwood calipers (requires 16" or larger wheels): http://www.fastbrakes.com/ProductDet...tegra+140+6163

Last edited by follie gatts; 08-27-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that fast brake kit is SUCH a rip off, it's near the price of a full blown 5 lug conversion and anyone with even the slightest skills can create the same kit for half the money. i mean, i have one on the front of my car. total cost with ultimate pads $270
Old 08-06-2009, 05:01 PM

I'd pick a Wilwood 4 piston kit over 5 lug anyday.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Not worth it at all. But if you have money to wast then do it.

Quick Reply: Is a 5-lug conversion worth it?