Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

4 quarts instead of 3.8= bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 quarts instead of 3.8= bad?

a friend put in too much oil in my car, he put in 4 quarts instead of the recommended 3.8. should i be concerned and let some oil out or is .2 quarts nothing to worry about?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: 4 quarts instead of 3.8= bad? (p1ccoloz)

i am not a machanic, but i think that is fine! a little more should be better than a little less
Old 08-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4 quarts instead of 3.8= bad? (p1ccoloz)

If it's not past the high mark, it should be ok. When you put too much oil in, you eventually run into the problem of putting too much pressure on your gaskets and seals (or so I hear). 0.2 quarts (even if above the high mark) shouldn't matter. You won't explode your engine, but don't get in the habit of overfilling, because over time it starts to affect stuff.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:31 PM

IM A TECH AT WISONVILLE HONDA AND 4 IS FINE. ITS NOT GOING 2 HARM ANYTHING IT WILL PROB BURN OFF THE EXTRA SO ITS ALL GOOD!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: (spoonedtypeR)

how much oil do you reconmend to put in a 94 integra ls
Old 08-03-2005, 12:46 PM

dont you guys have manuals?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: (kb12)

i could have sworn the reccomended amount of oil was 4 qts on the nose anyways... i always put 4 qts on the nose. but .2 really isnt going to do anything that will get burned off most likely an if not it wont do anything if he put 5 qts then id worry about it, i had a boy over fill his EG once but he had a stock lawn mower motor in it the little econo no vtec junkers that make like 90 horses an he over filled it by like a qt or more even an he seemed to be fine, but then some dick cut him off an the things been off the road ever since cuz of the accident
Old 08-03-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: (allmotor dc4)

my boy just changed his oil and put 4.5quarts in there i belive do you think he should drain some out or leave it
Old 08-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SuperTomcat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperTomcat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my boy just changed his oil and put 4.5quarts in there i belive do you think he should drain some out or leave it</TD></TR></TABLE>
i would drain it. i wouldn't drive with half a quart over.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SuperTomcat)

Put in as much oil as it takes to reach the proper level on the dip stick, using the manual's information as a starting point. Simply adding a specific amount of oil without actually checking the level isn't the best idea.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:00 PM

vtec cars(b18c1/5) = 4
non-vtec(b18a/b) = 3.8.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: (crx_88_si)

VTEC cars- 4.2 quarts
non - 4 quarts or 3.8 LITERS
dont worry youre fine
Old 08-03-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: (Mrob91GS)

err i meant liters..
Old 08-03-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: (Mrob91GS)

dealers always use the amount specified in the manual. Did you notice when you get a dealer oil change it's always overfilled? That's because all the oil doesn't leave the engine for example, there's always oil left in the cylinder head.

capacities are only supposed to be used as a guide, after you change your oil move the car to a flat surface and add oil according to the dipstick. My 99 gs takes 3.5 qaurts and it reads full!

overfilling your engine if bad! The crank can make the oil foam and when it's picked up for the pump, there'll be a pressure drop. That means there'll be less protection for your bearings. Also, too much oil increased crank pressure so you're stressing your seals.

Here's a tip, when racing, fill your oil to the lowest mark on the stick. You'll consume less oil and the crank case will be under less pressure which means more power.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my ls motors always taken 4qts

ive always thought ls,rs,gs,b20=4 quarts
b16,b17,b18c1/5= 4.2 quarts due to haveing to fill the hydrolic vtec system

my buddies civic takes 3.5 i think
Old 08-03-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: (Stewie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stewie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dealers always use the amount specified in the manual. Did you notice when you get a dealer oil change it's always overfilled? That's because all the oil doesn't leave the engine for example, there's always oil left in the cylinder head.

capacities are only supposed to be used as a guide, after you change your oil move the car to a flat surface and add oil according to the dipstick. My 99 gs takes 3.5 qaurts and it reads full!

overfilling your engine if bad! The crank can make the oil foam and when it's picked up for the pump, there'll be a pressure drop. That means there'll be less protection for your bearings. Also, too much oil increased crank pressure so you're stressing your seals.

Here's a tip, when racing, fill your oil to the lowest mark on the stick. You'll consume less oil and the crank case will be under less pressure which means more power.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

why not just put in the same amount you took out (some drain pans have measuring labels.)
Old 08-03-2005, 03:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx_88_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not just put in the same amount you took out (some drain pans have measuring labels.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is a good idea, but you still have to check the level before you change the oil to make sure it's at the correct level.

THis is the reccomended way to change transmission fluid on leak free trannys
Old 08-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I measured mine once after verifying it to be at the correct level on the dipstick... It came out to be like 3.6 or 3.7 quarts.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got another question do yal drin yals oil with the engine warm or cold? and how long do yal let it drain. because when i do my oil change i let it drain for like 15 mins and then just throw 4 quarts in start the motor up and let it run to get the oil in the filter all the way , let it sit for 30 mins and check and in the middle of the top dot.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rkrone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am not a machanic, but i think that is fine! a little more should be better than a little less</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am a mechanic and the opposite is in fact the case! Too much oil can be very harmful to the engine...

I agree with Stewie..except for the racing bit, cars like Honda's (which seem to burn oil as standard!!) - particularly the JDM models - tend to burn more oil when they're being driven hard so really it's not a good idea to let the oil go below the min, and anyway if the crankcase breather system is working properly there should be no problem with pressure building up as long as the oil isn't exceeding the max mark.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx_88_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

why not just put in the same amount you took out (some drain pans have measuring labels.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

There may have been oil burned / leaked since the last oil change, so this won't be accurate in most cases.

The best way to fill oil is:

Fill to the max level on the dipstick
Start the car, let the oil light go out and knock off the engine
Wait a few minutes and dip the oil
Top up if necessary

This is the best way because the manufacturer's guidelines are just that - guidelines.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:43 PM
say it

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stewie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's a tip, when racing, fill your oil to the lowest mark on the stick. You'll consume less oil and the crank case will be under less pressure which means more power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, that's a great idea so when your car is experiencing a high-G load (as in turning on a circuit at speed), you can help your engine starve for oil, and increase the chance of catastrophic failure!
Old 08-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (artifex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by artifex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah, that's a great idea so when your car is experiencing a high-G load (as in turning on a circuit at speed), you can help your engine starve for oil, and increase the chance of catastrophic failure! </TD></TR></TABLE>

damn...thanks for the correction

maybe stewie only races in a straightline
Old 08-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

Default Re: (artifex)

youre supposed to use 4 quarts. unless youre such an incredible cheapass that you dont change the filter, then i think its like 3.8 quarts. never change oil when the engine is cold. thats basically it. oh yeah, you gotta put a little oil on the rubber gasket on the filter.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (benb18a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by benb18a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> you gotta put a little oil on the rubber gasket on the filter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and don't forget to pour a little oil into the filter itself before putting it on.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Re: (Cliffjumper2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cliffjumper2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn...thanks for the correction

maybe stewie only races in a straightline </TD></TR></TABLE>

unfortunately, that's the truth. I don't have a car that's track ready.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by artifex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, that's a great idea so when your car is experiencing a high-G load (as in turning on a circuit at speed), you can help your engine starve for oil, and increase the chance of catastrophic failure! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I do agree that it's not a good idea to run the bare minimum amount of oil if you your doing any circuit track racing fortwo reasons.

1. The amount of oil you have in your engine affects the oil temperature. In cases were the car is going to experience a long amount of hard driving, a lower oil level will probably contribute to faster burn-off do to the increased heat.

2. If your going to be doing laps, common sense would tell you, you shouldn't go out on the bear minimum because if you consume any oil you'll be below the safe level

It was obvious to me that my tip would apply to people who want a slight edge in conditions where the car was going to be under maximum throttle for a short period of time. I already stated why this would be beneficial.

I'm not sure that I agree with you that running the lowest possible amount of oil will have a significant contribution to oil starvation. If half a quart give or take is holding you back from oil starvation, in my opinion, your cutting it to close. Do you have proof that would suggest otherwise?

BTW, if you can't respond to my posts in a mature manner, please don't respond. This thread is for people to learn not flame contest. If that's the kind of stuff your looking for, I suggest you go to the itr forum. They like that stuff there.

edit: fixed quote

Modified by Stewie at 10:14 AM 8/4/2005

Quick Reply: 4 quarts instead of 3.8= bad?