2001 gsr oem build - Page 3 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

2001 gsr oem build

Old 03-15-2019, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001 gsr oem build

Originally Posted by zeroptzero View Post
nice strut bar, I love mine too, I got mine from ICB motorsport it was in great condition and they have a few for sale most of the time.

The oil leak in that location is usually the cam plug, oil tends to drop down to that area as you noted.
cam plug. Got it. Thank you for the info. I have some parts I値l be ordering so I値l add that to the list.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mesonerz View Post

cam plug. Got it. Thank you for the info. I have some parts I値l be ordering so I値l add that to the list.
I got the skunk2 cam plug - metal with O-rings, more of a permanent fix for the cam plug issue, but a new oem honda part will work for the short term if needed, they tend to leak in the longer term though.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok quick update and quick question. First the update. Got some jdm goodness from jdm Ohio today. I’ve never heard of them before the other day. But for the first time doing business with them it was a great experience. Super fast shipping and the strut bar is in excellent condition. Will definitely do business with jdm Ohio again.

Now for question. It was warm out today so I went out the garage to look at the gsr and I noticed it has nice oil leak out of nowhere. Trying to locate source of the oil. Any ideas where it’s coming from? Valve cover gasket?
looks like it’s starting from somewhere near the valve cover and working it’s way down onto the B18C1 stamp and part of the tranny housing and down to the ground. Sorry for the crappy pictures but it’s dark AF in the garage and the gsr is on jackstands so I can’t move it to a brighter location.

Most common area like mentioned is the Cam cap plug, The O ring for the distributor is another common area it will leak from and also the Vtec solenoid gasket is also notorious for leaking eventually, all 3 are super easy to and cheap to replace! I like to use a very small bead of Honda bond on top of the vtec solenoid gasket as a extra measure of sealing, its not required as the gasket should do the sealing but if you have a after market unit like the Skunk2 vtec solenoid this is a must or at least in my case I went through 2 gaskets because the housing was pinching the seal when installed, the OEM gasket does not fit properly in the SK2 solenoid. So I just did some minor modification to the seal and put some Honda bond on the edge and installed it back with no leaks. Valve cover gromits can also leak as well as the valve cover gasket.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr View Post
Most common area like mentioned is the Cam cap plug, The O ring for the distributor is another common area it will leak from and also the Vtec solenoid gasket is also notorious for leaking eventually, all 3 are super easy to and cheap to replace! I like to use a very small bead of Honda bond on top of the vtec solenoid gasket as a extra measure of sealing, its not required as the gasket should do the sealing but if you have a after market unit like the Skunk2 vtec solenoid this is a must or at least in my case I went through 2 gaskets because the housing was pinching the seal when installed, the OEM gasket does not fit properly in the SK2 solenoid. So I just did some minor modification to the seal and put some Honda bond on the edge and installed it back with no leaks. Valve cover gromits can also leak as well as the valve cover gasket.
Thanks for the info. I have the valve cover gasket kit on order so I can put my new valve cover on. I値l replace the other gaskets and oring as well. Ive been waiting for the warmer weather so I can start putting in the wrench time. Nothing worse then turning wrenches in a freezing cold dark garage lol.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the skunk2 cam plug - metal with O-rings, more of a permanent fix for the cam plug issue, but a new oem honda part will work for the short term if needed, they tend to leak in the longer term though.
i watched a couple YouTube videos on how to replace it and they all seem to be using aftermarket cam plugs. If the oem is prone to failure then I’ll be ordering a aftermarket one as well.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Went to harbor freight this morning and took advantage of their parking lot sale and super coupons.

pretty stoked about the new tool chest. Digging the lime green lol
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The harbor freight carts aren't bad at ALL for the money. I got the 4 drawer one just over a year ago when it was on sale, zero complaints. The drawers still roll great!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer View Post
The harbor freight carts aren't bad at ALL for the money. I got the 4 drawer one just over a year ago when it was on sale, zero complaints. The drawers still roll great!
they had some in the store already assembled and they weren't bad at all. for the price and what i need it for i also have zero complaints. im still waiting for it to come in to my local store so i can take delivery. ill post up some pics when i get it home and assembled
Old 03-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update, got my rear itr strut bar with moldings and templates.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update, got my rear itr strut bar with moldings and templates.
I want a rear itr bar so bad, I have the front one, but in desperate need for the rear. That looks great, nice find. Any suggestion on where I could locate one ?
Old 03-19-2019, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I want a rear itr bar so bad, I have the front one, but in desperate need for the rear. That looks great, nice find. Any suggestion on where I could locate one ?
sent pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: