Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

2001 gsr oem build

Old 03-11-2019, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2001 gsr oem build

Originally Posted by mesonerz
ok thank you for the info. I was always under the impression that itr cams were a good upgrade and the only cams that didn’t require any other changes to the valvetrain like after market cams require.
ITR cams wouldn't do very much for you on a stock GSR intake/exhaust setup. Swapping over to ITR valve springs and retainers are recommended when running ITR cams.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
ITR cams wouldn't do very much for you on a stock GSR intake/exhaust setup. Swapping over to ITR valve springs and retainers are recommended when running ITR cams.
i know I was trying to keep it oem. I used to have a 94 gsr sedan and I was running a header, test pipe, apexi world sport cat back, cold air intake and the skunk 2 intake manifold and I really liked that setup. I just thought I’d pick up the cams because they are getting harder to come by and the itr cams would compliment that setup if I ever decided to go that route.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Talking about my old gsr made me want to look at some pictures of her. Here she is for nostalgia

Old 03-11-2019, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Talking about my old gsr made me want to look at some pictures of her. Here she is for nostalgia

That's my style right there! lol
Old 03-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by danteisme
That's my style right there! lol
yeah I really miss that car. My gsr coupe is nice but there is something special about the sedan. I like your build thread, keep up the good work. I can’t wait to see how those retrofit headlights turn out.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ITR cams are still fun with the stock GSR head, and you shouldnt have any issues keeping the stock valve train AND the stock rev limit. They are just more fun with the upgrades. i still have the stock intake manifold on my gsr but i have the ITR valve springs. Still at the stock rev limit.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ITR cams are still fun with the stock GSR head, and you shouldnt have any issues keeping the stock valve train AND the stock rev limit. They are just more fun with the upgrades. i still have the stock intake manifold on my gsr but i have the ITR valve springs. Still at the stock rev limit.
i would buy these cams but im not sure if they are legit itr cams, cant really tell from the pictures. plus it loos like they have a decent amount of scoring on them. i could be wrong about the scoring im no expert. i just always read the oem itr cams are a good upgrade on any b series.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know I was trying to keep it oem. I used to have a 94 gsr sedan and I was running a header, test pipe, apexi world sport cat back, cold air intake and the skunk 2 intake manifold and I really liked that setup. I just thought I’d pick up the cams because they are getting harder to come by and the itr cams would compliment that setup if I ever decided to go that route.
If that's the route you want to take, consider replacing the valve springs as well. The GSR runs dual valve springs on the intake side and a single spring on the exhaust side. Type R has dual springs on both intake and exhaust sides. Also wouldn't hurt to change out the LMA's to the revised spring type ones.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
If that's the route you want to take, consider replacing the valve springs as well. The GSR runs dual valve springs on the intake side and a single spring on the exhaust side. Type R has dual springs on both intake and exhaust sides. Also wouldn't hurt to change out the LMA's to the revised spring type ones.
ok thank you for the info. I still have ALOT of other parts I want to buy. But I’m happy with the performance of the stock motor for now, hence for now lol. I really want to keep it original but I know myself and it probably won’t last long. If anything I’ll keep it looking stock on the outside and add all the bolt ons under the hood at some point.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So let me ask some opinions on here. My axle back muffler needs to be replaced. It’s not noisy yet but it’s pretty rusty. I was thinking of going with a usdm itr muffler and mid pipe along with a TODA 4-2-1 replica header from 1320 and a test pipe. Opinions welcome.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a JDM ITR muffler/midpipe waiting to go on my car, so i cant comment as to how it sounds just yet. I've seen some videos on youtube and it sounds perfect to me.

JDM Ohio Direct seems to have them often, and for a good price. Thats where i picked mine up from. @GreatWave installed one on his car recently.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a JDM ITR muffler/midpipe waiting to go on my car, so i cant comment as to how it sounds just yet. I've seen some videos on youtube and it sounds perfect to me.

JDM Ohio Direct seems to have them often, and for a good price. Thats where i picked mine up from. @GreatWave installed one on his car recently.
I also watched a bunch of YouTube videos and that combo sounds perfect to me as well. Plus I wanted to keep it as oem as possible. I’ll def check out jdm Ohio. I placed an order with hmotors last night and they were sold out. That new California muffler law has the oem exhausts in big demand.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We're sold out of itr exhaust right now, but we have more coming in about a month!!

Edit: I have a JDM ITR exhaust on my car (guess where I bought it), and it sounds great. Quiet at idle and you hear more engine than exhaust. I honestly think it runs better compared to the no-name 2.5" I used to have.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Find a set of the 2001 spec ITR cams they make more HP. the 99" to 2001" cam was re designed and made better power than the older R cams.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Find a set of the 2001 spec ITR cams they make more HP. the 99" to 2001" cam was re designed and made better power than the older R cams.
that’s good information, thank you. I’ll keep a look out for some
Old 03-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the ones I have, same profile as the civic type r’s of that era If I recall.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

thats the ones I have, same profile as the civic type r’s of that era If I recall.
Yep, same as the CTR. They picked up an extra 5 degrees of duration over the 97-99 type r cams.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes they have the same spec as the CTR. I regret selling mines! I purchased a brand new ITR head in the box! it comes complete with the 2001 spec cams! I put Skunk2 cams at the time and sold the ITR spec cams but I wish I held on to them cause brand new 2001 spec cams are like a unicorn to find lol
Old 03-13-2019, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well since I have everyone on this thread what’s the opinion of the oem jdm itr 4-1 header? That’s the header I’d really like to go with but I’ve heard the have a tendency to scrape plus they are hard to come by and expensive when they can be had. I was looking at the TODA replica by 1320, seems to sit really nice under the car. But I really wanted to try and keep everything oem.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well since I have everyone on this thread what’s the opinion of the oem jdm itr 4-1 header? That’s the header I’d really like to go with but I’ve heard the have a tendency to scrape plus they are hard to come by and expensive when they can be had. I was looking at the TODA replica by 1320, seems to sit really nice under the car. But I really wanted to try and keep everything oem.
You cant go wrong with the JDM version ITR header, It has a true 2.5'' collector. and has weld on skid plate provisions. If the engine will remain 1005 stock its the best OEM manifold to choose from. But if you want something better the 1320 Toda rep is a great option. Its actually the header I have currently, I have had allot of different exhaust manifolds over the years, from the JDM ITR, DC, SSR street sweeper, Skunk2 Alpha, Alpha V2, ect. the list goes on and you know what? I like the toda rep from 1320. dollar for dollar its the best bang for your buck. Ground clearance is the best! fitment is perfect. Gives better clearance from the radiator fans and better ground clearance than the Skunk2 Alpha V2. If you get worried about cops weld on a DC carb plate like I did recently, I have tricked dozens of cops already those stupid retards! lol jk but no I have fooled them with this and other manifolds I have welded DC carb plates too.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot for the input and the pictures. That’s a really good idea about welding on the carb plate. Luckily in NY it’s not that strict yet but I’m sure it will get there. Thats why I really like the itr header because of the heat shields. Looks stock but there’s actually a decent header hiding underneath. If I can’t source an itr header for a decent price I’ll go with the TODA/1320.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot for the input and the pictures. That’s a really good idea about welding on the carb plate. Luckily in NY it’s not that strict yet but I’m sure it will get there. Thats why I really like the itr header because of the heat shields. Looks stock but there’s actually a decent header hiding underneath. If I can’t source an itr header for a decent price I’ll go with the TODA/1320.
Yea I used to live in the Bronx in Castle Hill, CA is way different they like to mess with you depending on how you talk to them and who pulls you over, back a few years ago when I had my LHT JRSC setup I had a rare B series Buddy Club Tri Y header, I had tabs welded on to bolt on the JDM ITR heat shield it came out pretty legit.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I used to live in the Bronx in Castle Hill, CA is way different they like to mess with you depending on how you talk to them and who pulls you over, back a few years ago when I had my LHT JRSC setup I had a rare B series Buddy Club Tri Y header, I had tabs welded on to bolt on the JDM ITR heat shield it came out pretty legit.
Yeah that is straight pimp. It’s funny you brought this up because I was wondering if anyone had ever welded tabs to an aftermarket header to retain the head shields and the oem look.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok quick update and quick question. First the update. Got some jdm goodness from jdm Ohio today. I’ve never heard of them before the other day. But for the first time doing business with them it was a great experience. Super fast shipping and the strut bar is in excellent condition. Will definitely do business with jdm Ohio again.

Now for question. It was warm out today so I went out the garage to look at the gsr and I noticed it has nice oil leak out of nowhere. Trying to locate source of the oil. Any ideas where it’s coming from? Valve cover gasket?
looks like it’s starting from somewhere near the valve cover and working it’s way down onto the B18C1 stamp and part of the tranny housing and down to the ground. Sorry for the crappy pictures but it’s dark AF in the garage and the gsr is on jackstands so I can’t move it to a brighter location.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice strut bar, I love mine too, I got mine from ICB motorsport it was in great condition and they have a few for sale most of the time.

The oil leak in that location is usually the cam plug, oil tends to drop down to that area as you noted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 gsr oem build