2001 gsr oem build - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

2001 gsr oem build

Old 10-17-2018, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 2001 gsr oem build

What’s up HT. Haven’t been here in a while. Got out of the Honda game for a while but just when you think you’re out it pulls you back in. So I picked up a new toy about a month ago. It’s a 2001 gsr. 139xxx miles. All matching vin tags, except for the hood. All original except for a kenwood stereo and a AEM cold air intake. For the year it’s pretty damn clean and has no rust. The leather has no rips or tears. All the interior pieces are there and in good shape. It even has a oem sunroof visor, sweet. It does have a few little things wrong like the driver side mirror needs painting and the passenger side headlights have some internal discoloring but doesnt effect light output, but outside of that nothing else. VTEC pulls nice and strong. The older I get the more I appreciate oem and the way Honda engineers intended the car to be from the factory so I’ve decided that I want to turn it back to as original as possible. The only modifications I’ll be making will be oem parts from the ITR. This might be a slow going thread as I work a lot and am trying to buy a house. I have done a few things so far. Got a oil change. I had all of the crappy tint the car came with from the previous owner removed. I had it professionally detailed and looks amazing. I installed led headlights( I know leds aren’t oem) and an oem shift ****. I have some other goodies on the way but I’ll post those when they come in. But I’ll def try to update it as much as possible. Any feedback is always welcome.

The day I picked her up

Definitely going to clean this engine bay up and bring it back to it’s oem glory.

You can see the discoloration of the passenger headlights.

Took her for a car wash, you can see the part of the mirror that needs painting.

Ditched the crappy aftermarket shift **** and went back to oem.

Last edited by mesonerz; 10-17-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001 gsr oem build

Very nice! id love to get ahold of a newer GSR myself and do the same! there's something special when you have a all original Honda or Acura! My 99 GSR is all but the complete opposite! looks 100% stock but is fully modified to the teeth including a rare Supercharger! id like to find a clone and make it all original and have a Ying Yang thing going on haha I did just pick up a 2000 Civic EK hatchback that's all pretty much stock besides the suspension and is in great condition inside but just needs a paint job, I use this as my daily but id like to restore the paint at least some day.

You should take off the strut bar, header heat shield and valve cover and restore them! not that hard just grab a OEM spray can from Autozone and re spray the strut bar the original color. Use Aircraft remover spray on the valve cover when you remove it and strip the old coating off, use VHT wrinkle black and do a few coats with at least one or 2 heavy coats for a good wrinkle finish. Use VHT high temp flat black for the header shield and other misc brackets like the AC bracket that's rusted up and the Power steering bracket. The engine will look 100% better! Replace some of the small 10mm bolts as well as the bumper screws that are all rusted and make it look much better!

And I personally think the OEM Type R front lip sets off the GSR's look! to me it gives it that extra edge but not over board!
Old 10-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr View Post
Very nice! id love to get ahold of a newer GSR myself and do the same! there's something special when you have a all original Honda or Acura! My 99 GSR is all but the complete opposite! looks 100% stock but is fully modified to the teeth including a rare Supercharger! id like to find a clone and make it all original and have a Ying Yang thing going on haha I did just pick up a 2000 Civic EK hatchback that's all pretty much stock besides the suspension and is in great condition inside but just needs a paint job, I use this as my daily but id like to restore the paint at least some day.

You should take off the strut bar, header heat shield and valve cover and restore them! not that hard just grab a OEM spray can from Autozone and re spray the strut bar the original color. Use Aircraft remover spray on the valve cover when you remove it and strip the old coating off, use VHT wrinkle black and do a few coats with at least one or 2 heavy coats for a good wrinkle finish. Use VHT high temp flat black for the header shield and other misc brackets like the AC bracket that's rusted up and the Power steering bracket. The engine will look 100% better! Replace some of the small 10mm bolts as well as the bumper screws that are all rusted and make it look much better!

And I personally think the OEM Type R front lip sets off the GSR's look! to me it gives it that extra edge but not over board!

you pretty much read my mind. I’m going to get rid of all the rusty bolts and screws. Paint all the rusty parts back to the original colors. I’ve found a few pictures online of what a oem gsr engine bay should look like so that’s where I’m getting my inspiration from. Also I’ll be pulling some oem parts from the ITR including the front lip which I agree really makes the gsr look sexy. But if there was one aftermarket part I’d love put on the car would be a Jackson racing supercharger, but good luck finding one. Is that the rare supercharger you’re running?

Old 10-19-2018, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mesonerz View Post

you pretty much read my mind. Iím going to get rid of all the rusty bolts and screws. Paint all the rusty parts back to the original colors. Iíve found a few pictures online of what a oem gsr engine bay should look like so thatís where Iím getting my inspiration from. Also Iíll be pulling some oem parts from the ITR including the front lip which I agree really makes the gsr look sexy. But if there was one aftermarket part Iíd love put on the car would be a Jackson racing supercharger, but good luck finding one. Is that the rare supercharger youíre running?

No I'm using a Legacy B series ATI Procharger Supercharger its carb legal as well! very rare and cost $5k new. The JRSC has allot of maintenance issues but can also be fun if the setup is right. But in your case don't modify it leave it stock and enjoy the sweet Vtec sound!!!
Old 10-27-2018, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some goodies today from HMotorsOnline. Oem jdm itr suspension

Last edited by mesonerz; 11-09-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome to the clan !! The Integra GSR has become my favorite daily driver, just picked up a 99 with 150k two months ago. Have to get around to getting some pictures of it, but we're both rocking OEM sunroof visors so hats off to ya. For now I'm fully stock, trying to tidy up the interior pieces and keep her running strong. Compared to my swapped 93 DX hatch that I just got rid of, the GSR is like night and day (in a positive way). I love how balanced the chassis feels through turns in comparison to my EG, so I'm getting more into improving the handling characteristics as opposed to the power, though I will be doing work there as well when I start getting the itch for more. My goal is to have a clean, mostly stock looking GSR that handles well and can catch a few people sleeping around the track.

Nice buy on the Type R goodies, I was eyeballing that set on HMO but ended up going with aftermarket suspension. Oh, and I second the Type R lip; even w/o the Hype R spoiler, the lip gives a nice little touch to the GSR, especially with the 98+ USDM front end. Keep a close eye on her and she will treat you well.

Last edited by lxrd_vtec; 10-30-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lxrd_vtec View Post
Welcome to the clan !! The Integra GSR has become my favorite daily driver, just picked up a 99 with 150k two months ago. Have to get around to getting some pictures of it, but we're both rocking OEM sunroof visors so hats off to ya. For now I'm fully stock, trying to tidy up the interior pieces and keep her running strong. Compared to my swapped 93 DX hatch that I just got rid of, the GSR is like night and day (in a positive way). I love how balanced the chassis feels through turns in comparison to my EG, so I'm getting more into improving the handling characteristics as opposed to the power, though I will be doing work there as well when I start getting the itch for more. My goal is to have a clean, mostly stock looking GSR that handles well and can catch a few people sleeping around the track.

Nice buy on the Type R goodies, I was eyeballing that set on HMO but ended up going with aftermarket suspension. Oh, and I second the Type R lip; even w/o the Hype R spoiler, the lip gives a nice little touch to the GSR, especially with the 98+ USDM front end. Keep a close eye on her and she will treat you well.
thanks man. Iíd love to see some pictures of your gsr. I used to have a 94 gsr sedan that I regret getting rid of and I missed all the things you mentioned about the gsr. Besides the nostalgia factor for me the gsr is a great car. Itís not my daily driver but itís a great all around car. I can drive it like a normal car and get civic like gas mileage or I can get a little silly and itís turns into a totally different animal. Plus they are becoming harder to find in nice condition. Especially in my area of southern ny most cars this age are rust buckets. I was going to go with some Tein basic z coilovers but I wanted to stay with oem as much as possible, I just have to source a rear itr sway bar and Iím all set, although I will be running a aftermarket rear subframe brace. But as I order more stuff Iíll post it. Itís definitely a long term project.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

type r suspension is always a plus

I agree, an oem type r lip will def improve appearance.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In for this build!
Old 10-31-2018, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For sure, gotta get around the uploading pics to my computer as I have so many on my phone right now. By the spring I should have a few parts stored ready to start my own thread (hopefully). And I know what you mean about rust buckets, I had to drive 2.5 hours away to pick mine up as the market for clean Hondas, from our generation, is terrible her in Jersey also.

In for this build though, best of luck to you sir !!
Old 11-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not that big of an update but got this back from the powder coater today. Looks brand new.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got my itr suspension put in. Big thank you to fellow HT memeber rtw-ef9 for all the help.

Look at the difference in rear lower control arms

You can see the difference in coils between the itr and gsr springs

Final product. Sits about an inch lower. Looks really good imo.

So after driving it a little bit I must say it rides a little more rough, not as cushy as the gsr suspension but it definitely handles way better and the stance looks really nice, not to low but eliminated some of the fender gap. Most importantly it’s oem. All in all I’m very happy with this setup. Next step itr rear sway bar and some sort of brace.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

VC looks sweet!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sub'd.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice, i did something similar last year albeit with a southern car that i use as a track beater
Old 02-26-2019, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update. Nothing crazy but I got some new headlights and some new tires. I sent the oem blades out to get refinished. I said it’s going to be a slow process lol. But I’ll keep updating as I get more parts

Old 02-27-2019, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice headlights. I'm assuming those aren't brand new oem lights right? I'm guessing they're used but they just look so clean.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmark1 View Post
Nice headlights. I'm assuming those aren't brand new oem lights right? I'm guessing they're used but they just look so clean.
I was just about to post about the headlights, they do look new, very clean!
Old 02-27-2019, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Always love the feel of the type r suspension.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
Always love the feel of the type r suspension.
This is a great build.

I wanted the Type R suspension when my GS-R factory parts were overly floaty. I ended up getting H&R OE sport springs with KYB AGX adjustable shocks, with ASR rear sway bar (24mm). Very close to the Type R setup, same drop (.75 -1.0 inch) , and exact same spring rates. Plus I can play with shock settings as roads dictate.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The headlights are brand new but not oem. i was able to source a set of bnib oem headlights but they were way more than i wanted to spend. I actually found these on rockauto. they are oem replacements and made by a company called eagle eyes. 200 bucks shipped to my house so im not complaining, the quality of the headlights are actually really good and look exactly like oem. i guess i will see how good they are when i install them.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as the type r suspension goes im not sure how i feel about it yet. new york roads arent the best and the type r suspension is definitely way more stiff/rough riding then the gsr suspension. ive never been in a type r so i dont know if they are that rough but if this was my daily driver i couldnt live with it.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thinking about buying these itr cams. Not sure though. They look like they are rough shape to me. Plus I’m having a hard time telling from the pictures if they are legit itr cams. I found a thread on here on how to tell apart the different oem cams but it’s still hard to tell. What do you guys think?
https://honda-tech.com/forums/sale-1...-cams-3334684/
Old 03-10-2019, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mesonerz View Post
Thinking about buying these itr cams. Not sure though. They look like they are rough shape to me. Plus I’m having a hard time telling from the pictures if they are legit itr cams. I found a thread on here on how to tell apart the different oem cams but it’s still hard to tell. What do you guys think?
https://honda-tech.com/forums/sale-1...-cams-3334684/
Why do you want ITR cams? you most likely wont benefit anything from them as well as make the engine run worse. I advise to leave the cams OEM, If your going to put ITR cams in you need the matching valve springs (dual springs) and retainers to begin with and if your going to replace internals I would look at a set of aftermarket cams depending on what your goal is. Putting cams in will change how the engine runs. You will need to adjust the tune at this point. Unless you plan to slap on a turbo kit then the ITR cams will be a good choice.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr View Post
Why do you want ITR cams? you most likely wont benefit anything from them as well as make the engine run worse. I advise to leave the cams OEM, If your going to put ITR cams in you need the matching valve springs (dual springs) and retainers to begin with and if your going to replace internals I would look at a set of aftermarket cams depending on what your goal is. Putting cams in will change how the engine runs. You will need to adjust the tune at this point. Unless you plan to slap on a turbo kit then the ITR cams will be a good choice.

ok thank you for the info. I was always under the impression that itr cams were a good upgrade and the only cams that didnít require any other changes to the valvetrain like after market cams require.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: