Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

2001 gsr oem build

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2001 gsr oem build

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
nice strut bar, I love mine too, I got mine from ICB motorsport it was in great condition and they have a few for sale most of the time.

The oil leak in that location is usually the cam plug, oil tends to drop down to that area as you noted.
cam plug. Got it. Thank you for the info. I have some parts I’ll be ordering so I’ll add that to the list.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mesonerz

cam plug. Got it. Thank you for the info. I have some parts I’ll be ordering so I’ll add that to the list.
I got the skunk2 cam plug - metal with O-rings, more of a permanent fix for the cam plug issue, but a new oem honda part will work for the short term if needed, they tend to leak in the longer term though.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Ok quick update and quick question. First the update. Got some jdm goodness from jdm Ohio today. I’ve never heard of them before the other day. But for the first time doing business with them it was a great experience. Super fast shipping and the strut bar is in excellent condition. Will definitely do business with jdm Ohio again.

Now for question. It was warm out today so I went out the garage to look at the gsr and I noticed it has nice oil leak out of nowhere. Trying to locate source of the oil. Any ideas where it’s coming from? Valve cover gasket?
looks like it’s starting from somewhere near the valve cover and working it’s way down onto the B18C1 stamp and part of the tranny housing and down to the ground. Sorry for the crappy pictures but it’s dark AF in the garage and the gsr is on jackstands so I can’t move it to a brighter location.

Most common area like mentioned is the Cam cap plug, The O ring for the distributor is another common area it will leak from and also the Vtec solenoid gasket is also notorious for leaking eventually, all 3 are super easy to and cheap to replace! I like to use a very small bead of Honda bond on top of the vtec solenoid gasket as a extra measure of sealing, its not required as the gasket should do the sealing but if you have a after market unit like the Skunk2 vtec solenoid this is a must or at least in my case I went through 2 gaskets because the housing was pinching the seal when installed, the OEM gasket does not fit properly in the SK2 solenoid. So I just did some minor modification to the seal and put some Honda bond on the edge and installed it back with no leaks. Valve cover gromits can also leak as well as the valve cover gasket.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Most common area like mentioned is the Cam cap plug, The O ring for the distributor is another common area it will leak from and also the Vtec solenoid gasket is also notorious for leaking eventually, all 3 are super easy to and cheap to replace! I like to use a very small bead of Honda bond on top of the vtec solenoid gasket as a extra measure of sealing, its not required as the gasket should do the sealing but if you have a after market unit like the Skunk2 vtec solenoid this is a must or at least in my case I went through 2 gaskets because the housing was pinching the seal when installed, the OEM gasket does not fit properly in the SK2 solenoid. So I just did some minor modification to the seal and put some Honda bond on the edge and installed it back with no leaks. Valve cover gromits can also leak as well as the valve cover gasket.
Thanks for the info. I have the valve cover gasket kit on order so I can put my new valve cover on. I’ll replace the other gaskets and oring as well. Ive been waiting for the warmer weather so I can start putting in the wrench time. Nothing worse then turning wrenches in a freezing cold dark garage lol.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the skunk2 cam plug - metal with O-rings, more of a permanent fix for the cam plug issue, but a new oem honda part will work for the short term if needed, they tend to leak in the longer term though.
i watched a couple YouTube videos on how to replace it and they all seem to be using aftermarket cam plugs. If the oem is prone to failure then I’ll be ordering a aftermarket one as well.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Went to harbor freight this morning and took advantage of their parking lot sale and super coupons.

pretty stoked about the new tool chest. Digging the lime green lol
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The harbor freight carts aren't bad at ALL for the money. I got the 4 drawer one just over a year ago when it was on sale, zero complaints. The drawers still roll great!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer
The harbor freight carts aren't bad at ALL for the money. I got the 4 drawer one just over a year ago when it was on sale, zero complaints. The drawers still roll great!
they had some in the store already assembled and they weren't bad at all. for the price and what i need it for i also have zero complaints. im still waiting for it to come in to my local store so i can take delivery. ill post up some pics when i get it home and assembled
Old 03-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update, got my rear itr strut bar with moldings and templates.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update, got my rear itr strut bar with moldings and templates.
I want a rear itr bar so bad, I have the front one, but in desperate need for the rear. That looks great, nice find. Any suggestion on where I could locate one ?
Old 03-19-2019, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I want a rear itr bar so bad, I have the front one, but in desperate need for the rear. That looks great, nice find. Any suggestion on where I could locate one ?
sent pm
Old 03-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some goodies into today. Oem fog light kit and type r shift boot(there’s a reason why I got the shift boot, more on that to come). Thanks to AFHKparts for the parts, really good prices and super fast shipping.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looking forward to the next phase of upgrades, thanks for the pm tip on the rear upper strut bar I hope to place an order on one soon. I did an alacantara black and red stitch ebay shift boot which I really like, the ITR one should look good too.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looking forward to the next phase of upgrades, thanks for the pm tip on the rear upper strut bar I hope to place an order on one soon. I did an alacantara black and red stitch ebay shift boot which I really like, the ITR one should look good too.
you’re welcome about the rear strut bar. I can’t wait to actually install all these parts I’ve been ordering. I feel like a parts hoarder lol.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you’re welcome about the rear strut bar. I can’t wait to actually install all these parts I’ve been ordering. I feel like a parts hoarder lol.
I don't know about you guys, but I love getting parts for my cars. Just seeing the boxes delivered to my house is enough to get me excited, then opening them up and finally installing them on the car, it's such a rush, lol. It makes any ordinary day feel like Christmas. or like a kid in a candy shop ? lol
Old 03-23-2019, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know about you guys, but I love getting parts for my cars. Just seeing the boxes delivered to my house is enough to get me excited, then opening them up and finally installing them on the car, it's such a rush, lol. It makes any ordinary day feel like Christmas. or like a kid in a candy shop ? lol
i feel the same exact way lol. For me researching and finding the parts and waiting for them is half the fun. The other half is when I get to install them, makes the wait worth it. It’s a good thing I have a budget or I’d definitely be a parts/car hoarder lol.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i feel the same exact way lol. For me researching and finding the parts and waiting for them is half the fun. The other half is when I get to install them, makes the wait worth it. It’s a good thing I have a budget or I’d definitely be a parts/car hoarder lol.
prior to my integra purchase I had a 2002 Honda S2000, I hoarded spare parts over 9 years of ownership, my entire basement was filled with spare parts. I never used any of them in the 9 years of ownership, I kept waiting for things to break and they never did, lol. I eventually sold the parts when I sold the car. I know how crazy it can get .
Old 03-26-2019, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so ive been trying for the last couple months to source oem itr header/b pipe and muffler. not an easy task and looks like it may not happen. in the event i cant find these items ive decided on the 1320 toda style header. any thoughts on a cat back exhaust. i want something as close to oem as possible and not that loud. i was thinking the apexi ws2(had this on my db8 and really liked it) or the tanabe medallion. any thoughts on these or any other recommendations?
Old 03-26-2019, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ITR header is nothing special and still heavy, the 1320 Toda rep is a much better choice and probably even cheaper than the ITR used, I do like the JDM ITR 4-1 but the 1320 Toda rep will still outperform it easily.

As for exhausts my absolute favourite is the Mugen, I have it on my car and I've had it on other cars, I won't look at any other because it is that good. Expensive and hard to find, but many used ones are usually in really good condition. Apexi WS is a pretty good second choice.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ITR header is nothing special and still heavy, the 1320 Toda rep is a much better choice and probably even cheaper than the ITR used, I do like the JDM ITR 4-1 but the 1320 Toda rep will still outperform it easily.

As for exhausts my absolute favourite is the Mugen, I have it on my car and I've had it on other cars, I won't look at any other because it is that good. Expensive and hard to find, but many used ones are usually in really good condition. Apexi WS is a pretty good second choice.
youre definitely right about the price of a used ITR header. I can get the 1320 TODA for about half the price. I was trying to keep it as oem as possible but oh well lol. When you say the Mugen are you referring to the twin loop? I’ve watched some videos of the twin loop and it’s definitely a nice exhaust. I talked to jdmohio today and they said they should have some itr exhaust parts in about a month so I’ll wait, if not that will give me plenty of time to decide on a exhaust.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some more parts in today. Some ITR carbon trim pieces. And some assorted under the hood goodies.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I finally had a day off and nice weather at the same time so I was able to put in some wrench time. Got a lot done.
Got my tool box put together. Very happy with it.

say good bye to those old nasty headlights

say hello to some new headlights

replaced my cam seal with a skunk 2 unit

put on my new valve cover, oil cap, ground wire,valve cover nuts and itr strut bar

installed my rear itr strut bar
Old 04-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Struts bars looking good
Old 04-13-2019, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks great, it was in dire need of a new valvecover , lol.

That engine is a bit varnished up, it likely ran conventional oil most of its life. Mostly cosmetic, though the piston rings don't like it. Running a high quality synthetic oil will help to clean it up over time. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 04-13-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks great, it was in dire need of a new valvecover , lol.

That engine is a bit varnished up, it likely ran conventional oil most of its life. Mostly cosmetic, though the piston rings don't like it. Running a high quality synthetic oil will help to clean it up over time. Just a suggestion.
i agree. I started running synthetic in it. Now I’m going to go through the engine bay and start getting rid of those rusty bolts and brackets.

Quick Reply: 2001 gsr oem build