Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

1999 GSR burning a lot of oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 GSR burning a lot of oil

Hi guys, 1st post but I've made good use of this forum over the years. I'm a novice mechanic by anyone's definition but this site helped me feel like a half decent one. I've followed guides on here to change sensors, radiators, master cylinders and vtec solenoids, I've never done anything too serious mechanically. But I still wanted to let you guys know I appreciate the help for doing what I've been able to do myself!

Anyways the biggest problem with my car (1999 GSR) is that it burns a lot of oil. For every tank of gas I put in it, I probably burn about a quart to 1.5 quarts of oil. The car runs amazing though. It pulls hard, showing no sign of any issues when getting on it. and my dad did a compression test on the cylinders and said they were in acceptable parameters.

So why do you guys think I'm burning so much oil? One of my friends said it might be the valves? Is that possible?
Old 07-25-2017, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1999 GSR burning a lot of oil

Common causes of burning oil include (but are not limited to) failing piston rings and failing valve seals. You mentioned the compression test was acceptable. If after the car sits overnight & you start it up in the morning, give it a few revs on the throttle, if you see blue smoke, probably oil related; I'm not sure what the best test is for checking valve seals, however it sounds like replacing them might be in your future.

Just my $0.02.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure that it is not leaking oil too/as well?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Doesn't leak a drop. I park it in the same spot in a fairly clean under ground parking. No stains under neath in 2.5 years I've owned it. It's been burning this much oil since I've owned it too, forgot to mention.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AYB18c
Common causes of burning oil include (but are not limited to) failing piston rings and failing valve seals. You mentioned the compression test was acceptable. If after the car sits overnight & you start it up in the morning, give it a few revs on the throttle, if you see blue smoke, probably oil related; I'm not sure what the best test is for checking valve seals, however it sounds like replacing them might be in your future.

Just my $0.02.
I've never noticed blue smoke when driving it, but a friend of mine said he saw a big puff of black/blue smoke when I got on it one time.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blades99gsr
Doesn't leak a drop. I park it in the same spot in a fairly clean under ground parking. No stains under neath in 2.5 years I've owned it. It's been burning this much oil since I've owned it too, forgot to mention.
So the question becomes how much $$ do you want to put into it/how long you plan on keeping it. If your oil consumption hasn't changed in the past 2.5 years, then stay diligent about checking/adding oil as necessary. Low oil pressure/volume can lead to blowing up engines, but as long as you don't let it run dry you should be fine. Also you say it pulls hard & the compression is acceptable, so why fix it if it's not broke?

On the other hand, the likely way you'll fix the underlying problem is by rebuilding the engine, piston rings & valve seals & such....which will be to the tune of anywhere from $2500-$5k depending on the shop you go to/how much work you do yourself/what you plan on replacing. While this will maintain the longevity of your engine, how long are you planning on keeping it?

Of note, the other problem with burning oil through the exhaust is over time you can run into issues with gumming up your 02 sensors or catalytic converter. Usually you'll get CEL codes if either of those two happen, and they're both cheaper replacements than rebuilding your engine.

So ask yourself: Why are you fixing your burning oil problem? If it's b/c you plan to keep the gsr for 2.5, 5, or 10 more years, then go for it. If it's just because it's in the back of your mind bothering you, if the car's running well & you don't mind adding oil, then is it really worth it?
Old 07-26-2017, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never noticed blue smoke when driving it, but a friend of mine said he saw a big puff of black/blue smoke when I got on it one time.
Black smoke could be tuning related, running rich?
Old 07-26-2017, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46
Black smoke could be tuning related, running rich?
I'm losing a quart of oil every 200 miles. It's definitely burning oil.

Originally Posted by AYB18c
So the question becomes how much $$ do you want to put into it/how long you plan on keeping it. If your oil consumption hasn't changed in the past 2.5 years, then stay diligent about checking/adding oil as necessary. Low oil pressure/volume can lead to blowing up engines, but as long as you don't let it run dry you should be fine. Also you say it pulls hard & the compression is acceptable, so why fix it if it's not broke?

On the other hand, the likely way you'll fix the underlying problem is by rebuilding the engine, piston rings & valve seals & such....which will be to the tune of anywhere from $2500-$5k depending on the shop you go to/how much work you do yourself/what you plan on replacing. While this will maintain the longevity of your engine, how long are you planning on keeping it? I want to fix it because I probably spent about $500 on oil in the 2.5 years I've owned it, would rather fix it then keep spending money on oil if cost effective. It's just a lot of added costs of operation when you factor in premium gas too.

Of note, the other problem with burning oil through the exhaust is over time you can run into issues with gumming up your 02 sensors or catalytic converter. Usually you'll get CEL codes if either of those two happen, and they're both cheaper replacements than rebuilding your engine.

So ask yourself: Why are you fixing your burning oil problem? If it's b/c you plan to keep the gsr for 2.5, 5, or 10 more years, then go for it. If it's just because it's in the back of your mind bothering you, if the car's running well & you don't mind adding oil, then is it really worth it?

Well like I said the compression test was fine so that would rule out piston rings wouldn't it? There is no way I would consider 2.5-5k for rebuild. But if the piston rings are okay, is a valve seal job that big of cost?

Last edited by blades99gsr; 07-26-2017 at 11:41 PM. Reason: more to add
Old 07-26-2017, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems the edit function is broken for me. But just wanted to add, that in the 2.5 years I've owned it I've spent over $500 oil. Add that to needing premium gas too makes it a little more expensive to run then I'd like. So if I could fix the problem for a decent price it would be great.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm losing a quart of oil every 200 miles. It's definitely burning oil.

Why not both?

Well like I said the compression test was fine so that would rule out piston rings wouldn't it? There is no way I would consider 2.5-5k for rebuild. But if the piston rings are okay, is a valve seal job that big of cost?
Compression ring =/= Oil scraper / Wiper ring =/= Oil control ring
Old 07-27-2017, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, you can ask us how much we think it will cost, or you can call around to some local shops and explain your problem to them. I don't know where you're located, if you've got shops around that know Hondas, or if you've got a connection at a shop, or anything for that matter.

You're asking us how much stuff will cost, well, location and availability matters. Also what you plan on doing/replacing makes a difference.

Once you have an idea of how much things will cost you can look at the cost-benefit of long term ownership of the car. Also we don't know your situation, is this your DD, your only car, or a 3rd car that you just play with? Are you employed with a high salary or living paycheck to paycheck? These are all questions only YOU can answer. Only You can make the determination of whether something is worth the $$ or not. We've given you our best guess as to what the problem *may* be and what repairs *may* be entailed. But we can't diagnose a vague problem without actually examining the engine, we can only give suggestions.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mileage on engine? You said you did a compression test, what were the numbers?
Old 07-27-2017, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Have a leakdown test done before you start thinking about a rebuild, that will show you where the leaks are and you can better decide how much money you want to spend. Valve stem seals are cheap and easy, hopefully it's that.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

try a can of engine restore 4 cyl formula sold at wallmart and auto stores it will help from experience, even helped restore compression on a B series that had broken piston ring lands, its a band aid but should help, its about $10
Old 07-31-2017, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stillare
Mileage on engine? You said you did a compression test, what were the numbers?
156000 miles, they were all like 180s-200s

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
Have a leakdown test done before you start thinking about a rebuild, that will show you where the leaks are and you can better decide how much money you want to spend. Valve stem seals are cheap and easy, hopefully it's that.
There is no way I would consider a rebuild. I'm hoping it's valve related too. You say it's cheap and easy? Any ballpark of a price I'd pay a shop to do the job?

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
try a can of engine restore 4 cyl formula sold at wallmart and auto stores it will help from experience, even helped restore compression on a B series that had broken piston ring lands, its a band aid but should help, its about $10
Can't hurt! I've read people say it doesn't help for valve seals, researching it right now. I'll give it a try anyways though.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, cheap and easy compared to a rebuild, I tend to only think of things in terms of parts cost since I do most things myself. To get to them most of the valvetrain has to come out so I'd imagine it would be a couple hours of labor to pay for but the seals themselves aren't particularly expensive.

Also is the car smoking? My old B18B1 with 260k miles smoked like a chimney over 4000rpm and the oil pan gasket leaked like a waterfall and it wasn't losing anywhere close to as much oil as you are. After you've been driving for a while and the car is up to temp, put it in neutral and rev it up near redline for a second then run around the back and see if there's blue smoke. If it only smokes at high RPM then it's probably something in the block.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, cheap and easy compared to a rebuild, I tend to only think of things in terms of parts cost since I do most things myself. To get to them most of the valvetrain has to come out so I'd imagine it would be a couple hours of labor to pay for but the seals themselves aren't particularly expensive.

Also is the car smoking? My old B18B1 with 260k miles smoked like a chimney over 4000rpm and the oil pan gasket leaked like a waterfall and it wasn't losing anywhere close to as much oil as you are. After you've been driving for a while and the car is up to temp, put it in neutral and rev it up near redline for a second then run around the back and see if there's blue smoke. If it only smokes at high RPM then it's probably something in the block.
I've had a friend tell me he saw a puff of blue/black smoke when I got on it one time while he was driving behind me. I've honestly never noticed anything behind me though. I have tinted windows but I've stuck my head out the window and looked back before and not noticed anything. With the amount of oil I'm losing wouldn't it be more likely I'm losing oil constantly? Half of the last tank of gas I used was just highway cruising at about 4000 rpm (had to drive out of town for a wedding) and I still burned the same amount of oil as I usually do.

Also this just came to mind...

When I bought the GSR in 2014 I got the timing belt and water pumped changed right away before I even put it legally on the road. Is it possible they fucked something up installing the new timing belt to cause me to lose all this oil? I find it hard to believe the guy would sell me the car burning that much oil and not tell me about it. I mean their are ****** in this world, but this guy seemed like a decent human.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump? Motormouth93? Wouldn't mind my last question being answered if possible.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had a friend tell me he saw a puff of blue/black smoke when I got on it one time while he was driving behind me. I've honestly never noticed anything behind me though. I have tinted windows but I've stuck my head out the window and looked back before and not noticed anything. With the amount of oil I'm losing wouldn't it be more likely I'm losing oil constantly? Half of the last tank of gas I used was just highway cruising at about 4000 rpm (had to drive out of town for a wedding) and I still burned the same amount of oil as I usually do.

Also this just came to mind...

When I bought the GSR in 2014 I got the timing belt and water pumped changed right away before I even put it legally on the road. Is it possible they fucked something up installing the new timing belt to cause me to lose all this oil? I find it hard to believe the guy would sell me the car burning that much oil and not tell me about it. I mean their are ****** in this world, but this guy seemed like a decent human.
It would take a serious **** up during that job to cause the oil burning, I can't even think of how that would happen. And who knows, there are some real shitbags on Craigslist, people will try to hide every problem with a car that they possibly can.

And also, there's not much we can do to help if you aren't providing any new information. Your compression test results seem fine so there's a pretty good chance that it isn't piston ring related. It's hard to be 100% sure of anything so at some point, after you've done your due diligence, you just have to start trying ****.

If I were you, I'd replace the PCV valve first since a new one is less than $10 from Autozone. It's kinda hard to get to on a GSR so if you're going to check it you might as well replace it. After that I'd wait a bit to see if the oil consumption changed at all. If it didn't, I'd confirm the compression test results and probably check the exhaust for smoke again, then buy a set of valve stem seals and change them out.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:29 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

locate leak and report back
verify you're burning oil
perform leakdown
perform compression test
take pics of the color smoke coming out the back of your car
Old 08-07-2017, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It would take a serious **** up during that job to cause the oil burning, I can't even think of how that would happen. And who knows, there are some real shitbags on Craigslist, people will try to hide every problem with a car that they possibly can.

And also, there's not much we can do to help if you aren't providing any new information. Your compression test results seem fine so there's a pretty good chance that it isn't piston ring related. It's hard to be 100% sure of anything so at some point, after you've done your due diligence, you just have to start trying ****.

If I were you, I'd replace the PCV valve first since a new one is less than $10 from Autozone. It's kinda hard to get to on a GSR so if you're going to check it you might as well replace it. After that I'd wait a bit to see if the oil consumption changed at all. If it didn't, I'd confirm the compression test results and probably check the exhaust for smoke again, then buy a set of valve stem seals and change them out.
I'll buy a new PCV valve as soon as possible. Looking like Tuesday will be the best time. You say it's hard to get to on a GSR? Is it possible to get to with just regular tools? I don't have access to a host or anyway to get under the car. Also if I need to can I change valve stem seals myself with regular tools? If possible do you have any video links to doing the PCV and valve seal job? Like I said, I'm a novice, but I'm pretty good at following directions.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not necessarily that hard, it's just kind of a pain to reach since it's under the intake manifold. I've never personally done it on a GS-R motor though.

As for the valve seals, you need a valve spring compressor to put the springs back on and feeler gauges to set the valve adjustment afterwards but that's about it as far as special tools go. Feeler gauges are a couple of dollars to buy and you might be able to get a suitable spring compressor from a parts store rental for free. Watch a few videos of the process to see if it's something you think you can do.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSwpXaqjPDA

It's not necessarily that hard, it's just kind of a pain to reach since it's under the intake manifold. I've never personally done it on a GS-R motor though.

As for the valve seals, you need a valve spring compressor to put the springs back on and feeler gauges to set the valve adjustment afterwards but that's about it as far as special tools go. Feeler gauges are a couple of dollars to buy and you might be able to get a suitable spring compressor from a parts store rental for free. Watch a few videos of the process to see if it's something you think you can do.
Welp, I don't have pliers like those. I think my dad might at his work shop. Going to have to wait till the weekend to get my hands on them. I'll update to how it is after I change pcv.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be a leak too. Try putting cardboard underneath overnight to see if it catches any drops. It might be hard to see on pavement.