Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

1990 integra rs engine swap. (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 integra rs engine swap. (Help)

Hey guys. Im new to the forums. Im new to attempting this thorough mechanic work as well. This is my first engine swap. I bought a integra with a bad motor. The engine threw a rod and put a pretty goodsize hole in the bottom of the motor just above oil pan right behind the ac compressor. I have purchased a new b18b1 motor to put into the integra. I am currently in the middle of breaking down the old motor for 2 reasons. 1 i beleive the head is still good. So i can either keep it or sell it. 2 to learn. I want to learn as much as possible because just doing an engine swap is just the beginning. I plan to buy an h22 and build the motor up myself and eventually swap again. If anyone has some god information for me or would like to pm me i woupd really appreciate any tricks and tips you could help me with. Thankyou
(my phone will not let me post pictures)
Old 10-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: 1990 integra rs engine swap. (Help)

Transfer all the bolt ons from the old engine like injectors, alt, distributor, harness. And I would service the replacement engine with a new oil, water pump, timing belt set, new plugs and gaskets all around! its much easier when the engine is out!
Old 10-29-2018, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Im glad you mentioned that. Thats going to be a big help. How hard is it going to be to replace timing belt? Always heard about them but never attempted one. Also any information or pictures you could give me on a pgm-fi fuel injection system? And last but not least. Would it be beneficial to put an air to fuel gauge on the new engine if i plan on running it pretty hard?
Old 10-31-2018, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Hippycrippler56
Thanks. Im glad you mentioned that. Thats going to be a big help. How hard is it going to be to replace timing belt? Always heard about them but never attempted one. Also any information or pictures you could give me on a pgm-fi fuel injection system? And last but not least. Would it be beneficial to put an air to fuel gauge on the new engine if i plan on running it pretty hard?
Its not hard at all to do the Timing belt. These 3 vids are for the B20 CRV but it is exactly the same process and I actually brushed up on the tension method when I did my Timing belt on my Type R a while back.

The key behind this system is the constant monitoring and assessment of engine, atmospheric and riding conditions, and the use of this data to control the quantity of fuel injected into the engine. In technical terms, PGM-FI is an n-alpha mapped injection system. That means the basic variables are the engine speed (n) and the throttle angle (alpha). Based mainly on these two measurements, the system looks to its fuel mapping for the fuel delivery figure corresponding to the n and alpha of the moment.

Next, the engine makes adjustments as needed to this basic fuel delivery figure according to additional variables such as intake-port pressure, engine coolant temperature, intake-air temperature and atmospheric pressure. This process of recalculation of fuel delivery specs is repeated many times per second to ensure the correct mixture is being delivered to meet the existing conditions, and to provide optimal performance and remarkably crisp throttle response over a wide range of operating conditions. This system uses various throttle bodies, digitally controlled injectors and 3-D control maps to meet the differing needs of various models. However, basic operation of the Honda PGM-FI system remains the same for all.

Yes Using a AFR even on a stock ECU/engine setup is one of the best things to have! familiarize your self with proper AFR values from the stock parameters as learning what the AFR at different conditions should be is very good. This gauge is imo the best monitoring tool to have in the cabin it can be the difference of you blowing up the engine because you did not see the engine running extremely Lean for example. I really like my Innovate MXT-L AFR gauge, very fast response unlike the AEM unit.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've pulled the engine out of my 1991 RS a few times. I have always removed the engine from the top, but it can be difficult to get the proper angle. If you can find information on removing the engine by dropping it out from underneath it will probably be easier. If you go from the top like I did, do yourself a favor and remove the exhaust manifold, it adds a lot more room!

As for an H22 swap into a DA chassis, I looked into that years ago. It would be fun, but there is a lot of work and custom parts needed to make it fit. If you're on a budget, stick with a B-series. Or if you want a challenge you can do the H22, but with the money you'll invest it would probably be better to do a K swap. That's my opinion anyway.