Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

California legal turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California legal turbo kit?

I have a 1997 integra and I was wondering if they make California legal turbo kits. If so what brands or kits are they
Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: California legal turbo kit?

yes! you need to make sure you get a gredy kit. ( the only one i know of) it has the carb sticker and a few other connections that make sure you are not recirculating exhaust to atmosphere without going to through the cat. just need to check around...

i have also heard it depends on what REF you get. some of them are against the whole forced induction thing and some dont care as long as you have paperwork and the correct stuff.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cracker1252
yes! you need to make sure you get a gredy kit. ( the only one i know of) it has the carb sticker and a few other connections that make sure you are not recirculating exhaust to atmosphere without going to through the cat. just need to check around...

i have also heard it depends on what REF you get. some of them are against the whole forced induction thing and some dont care as long as you have paperwork and the correct stuff.
Only issue here is that the CARB approved Greddy kit doesn't include an intercooler, and adding one violates the CARB approval. So, you get to chose between low boost and hot intake air or no longer being smog legal...

No need to go to a ref either. A CARB approved part can just be installed, and the local shop doing the smog check should accept it as is, assuming the car still passes the sniffer test. No different than installing a CARB approved header or CAI.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm not even sure if that kit is still made. the good carb kit is from edelbrock. MUCH better pieces than the greddy kit and it comes complete with an intercooler and a bad *** little disco potato turbo

the disco potato for those of you who don't know is an ultra fast spooling small ballbearing turbo
Old 03-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might be wrong,but as far as i know,any turbo on a non turbo car in Cali is illegal. One of my friends had greddy and got stopped and got a ref ticket. He went to ref it and showed that its a 50 state legal mod,and they still made him pull it off.
Some people get lucky,but i would call and see if its legal where you live first before you end up paying Cali on some BS crap.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

when i modified my jrsc which made it ilegal and got a reff ticket i wanted to go with a gready turbo cause it was the only turbo kit iv heard of that was street legal here in c.a, on my research when i wanted to go turbo i found the kit to be discontinued and not legal in c.a anymore. so instead of getting another jackson supercharger i found a ATI pro charger which is like a belt driven turbo so even though at the reff it wont be legal it still comes with a carb sticker and will still be fun and give some good hp. ill be running a full race setup so no cat and no fmu so if i get reffed its not so bad, i just remove the kit and its so easy to remove and install so that makes it allot easier than a turbo kit that gets taped in the oil pan and involes the ex manifold to be removed and all that fun stuff.