Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Integra gen3 pas. Side axle stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra gen3 pas. Side axle stuck

axle is free from everything. I have it tied up so its level. Already broke a 20" screwdriver prying it out. But so far nothing's working. Any suggestions?

(Edit. Sorry if thread is misplaced)
(Edit , victorious, it came off fighting,unfortunately the seal did not survive)

Last edited by Nine16; 12-17-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: Integra gen3 pas. Side axle stuck

brick, blunt end of an axe, sledge hammer are all worthy choices.
i hold a ratchet extension up against it and wail on that.
2 or 3 solid hits usually does the trick.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Best to use a pry bar to pull the axle from the trans. They sell them at your local auto store in a 3 size package, using a screw driver of any size will not be strong enough, a few yanks with the pry bar it will come right out.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^That. Use a big pry bar. Wedge it in place between the axle and transmission and kick the end of the prybar to knock the axle loose. That's what worked for me anyway on my Integra...

Edit: just saw you already got it.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Best to use a pry bar to pull the axle from the trans. They sell them at your local auto store in a 3 size package, using a screw driver of any size will not be strong enough, a few yanks with the pry bar it will come right out.
Thank you for the response. I ended up getting a nice sized pry bar and pryed it out from the top. Came out on the first push.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jeema
^That. Use a big pry bar. Wedge it in place between the axle and transmission and kick the end of the prybar to knock the axle loose. That's what worked for me anyway on my Integra...

Edit: just saw you already got it.
It was a relief when that thing finally popped out. I'm in the middle of doing my first clutch job right now and that has been one of the easier challenges lol. A friend helped me drop the tranny right before it started raining tonight. Forecasted rain for the next week or so...
Old 12-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm convinced the factory workers over stretch the c-clips when they install them on the axles, or they were simply made that way. It's also notable if you ever try to disassemble the axles and replace the boots. When you get them apart you'll notice the clips are sprung out further than they should be. In theory, if more than half the c-clip wire cross-section is past the engaging groove, it ain't coming out, or at least not easily.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 90Acura
I'm convinced the factory workers over stretch the c-clips when they install them on the axles, or they were simply made that way. It's also notable if you ever try to disassemble the axles and replace the boots. When you get them apart you'll notice the clips are sprung out further than they should be. In theory, if more than half the c-clip wire cross-section is past the engaging groove, it ain't coming out, or at least not easily.
They were made that way...any easier and you'd have axle shafts popping out of differentials or locking in place. It's much safer to have an axle thats harder to pop out than one that slides out with the pop of a screwdriver.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
They were made that way...any easier and you'd have axle shafts popping out of differentials or locking in place. It's much safer to have an axle thats harder to pop out than one that slides out with the pop of a screwdriver.
Yea thats whats common with those shity refurbished axles they sell at orielys or autozone there pretty much hit or miss and for me its been a hit every time i used one, the third axle that poped out on me on the freeway was the last straw, i always got one refurbished from the dealer after that but now i use drive shaft shop level 0 replacement axles! there reasonably priced and worth the investment and are made with better materials.

Nothing more scary then loosing throttle responce completly on the freeway in the fast lane!
Old 12-23-2015, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Yea thats whats common with those shity refurbished axles they sell at orielys or autozone there pretty much hit or miss and for me its been a hit every time i used one, the third axle that poped out on me on the freeway was the last straw, i always got one refurbished from the dealer after that but now i use drive shaft shop level 0 replacement axles! there reasonably priced and worth the investment and are made with better materials.

Nothing more scary then loosing throttle responce completly on the freeway in the fast lane!
Same here... Had one lock up on me while on the freeway as well.. Inboard shaft popped out enough to lock up the axle shaft. I've just learned to rebuild my own axles since then. It's not hard at all.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep found that out when I put the new set ring on and it was stretched out the same.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not when you need a 30,000 pound press to separate cv axle joints, which was specifically what I was referring to, although shaft to transmission joints have been known to be ridiculously tight also.

No they're not meant to be made that way. Again as I said before, an c-clip overstretched during installation will cause the problem. There is supposed to be some slop obviously to create the locking mechanism, but too much is a problem. Do an experiment: Overstretch your c-clips, reinstall your axles, and then try to get them out again.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not when you need a 30,000 pound press to separate cv axle joints, which was specifically what I was referring to, although shaft to transmission joints have been known to be ridiculously tight also.

No they're not meant to be made that way. Again as I said before, an c-clip overstretched during installation will cause the problem. There is supposed to be some slop obviously to create the locking mechanism, but too much is a problem. Do an experiment: Overstretch your c-clips, reinstall your axles, and then try to get them out again.
Yea it does depend on how much there stretched buy again it's one of those reasons we used to pull off the new aftermarket c clips and put in the oem clip. Usually this would solve the issue but I still don't trust the axle itself. From the materials to the hardware.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No need to do an experiment... I dont have the same problems you experience with c-clips or axle shafts. There's no reason for me to even touch the c-clip when re-installing the shaft. I dont even see why you would need a press to seperate axle joints in the first place. I also can't see how a c-clip could overstretch and still lock in place where it belongs. If you open the c wider, you're going to have to compress it back in order for the inboard shaft to slip into the diff opening. As a result, the metal in the clip has fatigued and no longer able to spring back to that overstretched state it was in before.

Regardless, you're free to feel the way you do about c-clips and the theory behind Acura factory workers altering them during production. For sake of this thread, it doesn't really matter.