Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

*** How-To*** Clean Your FITV aka Fast Idle Thermo Valve

Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: *** How-To*** Clean Your FITV aka Fast Idle Thermo Valve

I have noticed in recent weeks on cold mornings that upon first startup, the engine idle will be rather low, just above 1,000, and kind of struggle to get up higher. It takes several seconds of struggling, but then finally settles up around 1600-1700 RPM while it's cold, and stays rock solid until it starts coming down as coolant temperature rises. Could this be the FITV? Car has 324K miles and I've never cleaned it or the IACV - never had any reason to before this winter.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

patrick, i thought the car wasn't running? did you solve the problem?
as for your suspected fitv issue, here's what you do. before starting the car, remove the air cleaner boot. there will be 2 holes inside the throttle body bore. the top is iacv, bottom is fitv (if your car does utilize a thermal valve. otherwise there will only be one hole, for iac). place a piece of tape over the top hole. start the car. if the idle is smooth, the problem is iac related. if the problem stays the same, it is fitv related. because the only entries for air past the throttle plate are either the iac port or fitv port, by closing off either, you isolate the cause
Old 01-08-2013, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

No it's not running yet, distributor is on its way. I was just asking about an issue I've been having with cold starting for a couple of months now.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

alright. when you get it going, give the method i'd outlined a try
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up man. I done this today and no reving up and down up and down its great idle is about 1200 instead of like 900 but going to the idle screw on top cover by the plastic cap to idle it down some more but thanks a lot saved me a lot of money.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This has been very helpful, I totally overlooked the FITV when diagnosing the idle surge in my civic. Thank you.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the help, car kept jumping from 1k to 1.5k then back to 1k over and over when cold. cleaned the iavc and nothing cleaned this and reset it back now car runs perfect!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Wait so if I tighten it all the way down, it essentially closes off the FITV, and you lose it's function completely? So cold starting it will make it idle normally, at say 800 revs?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great write up, did tjis tne other day for a jumping idle and it calmed down but now im getting a lot of sputter at low rpms in all gears. Itll sputter for a good two seconds at the beginnning in every gear,sometimes longer before the fuel rips through the lines. Its getting worse, planning on checking plugs and replacing fuel filter, if I can find it, maybe I can clean the injectors as well, really not sure what else to chk. Oh and I followed tbese instructions and looked at the how to clean the iac valve and these parts look identical, am I missing something?

I really bit the bullet on this one but I wont give up, I wanted a DA and I got it, sure looks pretty in my driveway but itll look better on the street.

Last edited by MrAlexLopez; 03-11-2013 at 03:03 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazyhouse2011
Wait so if I tighten it all the way down, it essentially closes off the FITV, and you lose it's function completely? So cold starting it will make it idle normally, at say 800 revs?
i tightened mine all the way and it starts and runs fine at the notch on my rpm gauge
Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME IF I SCREW IT BACK IN ALL THE WAY, WILL IT JUST NOT USE THE FITV FUNCTION AT ALL? I.E. IT WILL JUST IDLE AT 800 REVS WHEN COLD?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by GeorgeA
i tightened mine all the way and it starts and runs fine at the notch on my rpm gauge
WHAT EXACTLY DOES THAT MEAN? DID IT JUST IDLE NORMALLY WHEN YOU COLD STARTED IT? DID IT GET RID OF THE JUMPING IDLE PROBLEM? THANKS PARTNER.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great info! My b16a started to idle at 1900-2500rpms even when it was warm.... Followed this write up step by step.....problem gone
Old 07-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This has been the most helpful thread I've ever found. Most people thought my idle issues were the IACV, so I cleaned it out and nothing changed. When we took out the FITV, the little screw mechanism was hardly in at all, and it was disgusting. Replaced some valve cover gaskets while we let the thing dry out, and put it back on, car fired up like brand new. Also cleared up the idle problems at temperature, moving in neutral and sitting at stop lights, so I don't have to feel like a douche bag. Gave me back the power I was losing from the vacuum leak, and best of all, I can drive my car at low RPMs again without the car jerking forward. It would do it even in fifth gear if I didn't have the gas pedal just right.
This write up is a 10.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great write up - thanks O.P.

I cleaned my IACV and that didn't solve my idle issue, which is: when I come to a stop light/sign the car's idle dips to around 100rpm then slowly comes back to normal. It also does it when changing from a 1st to reverse and back, really low idle.

I don't have a FITV, what gives? My engine is, as FAR as I can tell, JDM Gen. 2 B16A. I thought I'd DEFINITELY have one.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You've probably figured out your issue by now but if not, check for vacuum leaks. If your engine was supposed to have a fitv and doesnt, the delete may have been done poorly. Also check map and tips sensors, then down the line with spark plugs, fuel injectors, timing etc. And make sure your coolant lines and vacuum lines are all going to the right place.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tnx for the post,tomorrow i'll be cleaning FIV cause my idle is ****** high 1500-1600rpm when the engine is cold and it sucks fuel like crazy
Old 01-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 99 Civic EX 1.6 and it it idling way to fast. I here all about this fast idle thermo valve but my car doesn't have one! Not in the under the throttle body anyway! I've almost pulled the whole engine out looking for this thing please help!!!
Old 05-10-2014, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just finished a new stock race class b18 engine and had a persistent surge. Read this write up and went to the shop, re-worked the fitv valve. The plastic screw body was loose and rattling around. Cleaned all and adjusted 1 turn out.
Smooth 800 rpm idle! Thanks, Rob
Old 09-22-2014, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[IMG][/IMG]

Hello everyone I have a HONDA CIVIC 1.5 MOD.LSI 16V ENGINE D15B2, someone can explain me how can I adjust this screw on the throttle body?, or what are the parameters? or what is the use of accurate?
Old 10-20-2014, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pictures are down i was trying to refer a member to the how to do this but its almost useless without the pictures.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

????
Old 10-24-2014, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

THERE BACK !!!! Photo-bucket is a bitch... Definitely the best FITV DIY on H-T IMHO

Originally Posted by enzodolabella
????
Wasn't talking to you OP...

If your asking about idle adjustment screw.
Warm up your motor till the Temp gauge is center.
Turn off the car
Unplug the IACV
Restart the car
Adjust screw to the idle you desire
Turn off car
Replug in IACV
Unplug the battery for about 10 Minutes
Reattach battery
Start the car and let it idle for about another 10-15 minutes to let the car rewrite the fuel maps DONT TOUCH THE GAS!
And your golden....
Old 10-24-2014, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nave43, thanks for the reply, the problem I have adjusted this screw without disconnecting the IACV, what does that entail?
Old 12-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 92 tegra idles at about 1800-2000 constantly... its not just when its cold or until it warms up... as soon as I let off the gas it drops to where it should be (800-1000) then right up to about 2k. I am not very car savvy but I have been learning. So I am just curious if this would be the same problem in this post. most of the people with this posts issue describe a temporary idle issue that resolves itself after awhile.. mine never resolves.
Also, not sure if its related, my power steering is loud... I recently replaced the power steering pressure hose, the previous one was perforated with cracks... so maybe it's just loud because its under full pressure now.. not sure.

any insight would be appreciated!

92 b18a 1.8l hatchback

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *** How-To*** Clean Your FITV aka Fast Idle Thermo Valve