Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil overfill, smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil overfill, smoke from exhaust

When this happened to me, I couldn't find a post on the net that said exactly what I wanted to hear, so i'm putting this one up in case there's ever someone like me looking for what I needed to find.

I don't know if this has happened to anyone, but on a routine gas stop, i checked my oil and when i opened the hood I was surprised to see a huge oil spill all under my hood. The lid was off, the thing was open and the oil had been coming out and it had spilled all over. I checked the dipstick, and it still read as being above the max, so i thought that that had to be inaccurate after seeing all that oil that had come out, so i added 2 quarts.

About 2 days after when I got on the freeway and on high RPMs, my car wouldn't accelerate, it would decelerate. From fifth, to fourth, to third, to second...no power. Till it got to zero mph. I put first gear again and a huge cloud of white blueish smoke went all over and around the car...I had overfilled the engine.

I wasn't exactly sure what happened, so I just towed it to the dealer. Right there, got it drained, inspected, etc. Smoke till coming out of tailpipe. I didn't wanna pay for their services, so I towed it back home on no oil. At home i put in the proper oil, and every hour i would let it run for maybe 5 minutes and let my car smoke. The smoke was the result of the excess oil burning left over from the overfill. I test drove it. One day i found air bubbles on my dipstick. As i would drive it, it would smoke a lot and a lot of liquid out of tailpipe...but it all turned out to be water.

Anyway....i was worrying a whole lot. The point is, if you overfill your engine with oil, just drain it, run it and burn that oil. Hopefully it isn't too big. After all this, I had an oil change and it seems to be like new. (honda civic coupe 03)

It's just one big mess....
Old 06-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil overfill, smoke from exhaust (weiom04)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by weiom04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The lid was off, the thing was open and the oil had been coming out and it had spilled all over. I checked the dipstick, and it still read as being above the max, so i thought that that had to be inaccurate after seeing all that oil that had come out, so i added 2 quarts.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're driving the car, then stop and check the oil, remember it's not going to read the same as if the car had been sitting all night.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:16 AM
GDD4LIFE

Default Re: Oil overfill, smoke from exhaust (rodrez)

dude check out your head cause when you overfill your engine the oil froths up in there and burns causing all that smoke. It's really bad for it.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil overfill, smoke from exhaust (weiom04)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by weiom04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The lid was off, the thing was open and the oil had been coming out and it had spilled all over. I checked the dipstick, and it still read as being above the max, so i thought that that had to be inaccurate after seeing all that oil that had come out, so i added 2 quarts. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Despite seeing the oil all over the place. Why didn't you just wait 10-15 minutes and check the dipstick again? It reads differently if you let it idle/sit compared to having it JUST running. Just because you THOUGHT it was inaccurate doesn't mean very much. The proof comes from hard facts, if the dipstick shows its over max, well, my educated guess would be its over max. I certainly wouldn't add 2 MORE quarts if it was already over max.

Glad to hear the car is okay though.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Oil overfill, smoke from exhaust (HypeR0070)

yea, man...unfortunately it was a very stupid mistake (out of panic, not knowing how long the lid had been off, out of the oil spill mess, etc)...a mistake that took minimal thought , but in the end...it was a mistake and an experience. Just hoping someone reads this in case they did the same thing.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Oil overfill, smoke from exhaust (HypeR0070)

Another thing: My car has 6,000 miles. When I read the dipstick after letting the car sit for a while, it still read over the max limit on the dipstick. I had not yet changed the oil in my car, and I hadn't added any oil since I bought it. I also thought it was an inaccurate reading because i didn't think the dealer gave me the car with excess oil.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:12 AM
Electrician

6,000 miles, same motor oil, same filter, you don't know how to check levels on the dipstick. Hrmmm...mayeb you should take public transportation?

J/K man, read your owners manual. CHANGE your oil, get a new filter, read how many quarts your motor takes.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:19 AM

Default Re: (Dimi)

new hondas don't really require oil change every 3k miles. Mine says it needs it every 5k, or 10k, depending on whether u drive your car in a severe or normal fashion, respectively...

Since i fit more into the normal category, i wasn't going to change it till maybe 8k miles...or 9.

oil change hss already been made

i had it w/ public transportation