Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review

*Edit* I think i blew my engine (or something because it just wont run anymore) so i was never able to get my ticket cleared yet. So i dont really know what would happen when i go to court because i never got my front windshield signed off yet. So if anyone has been to court and passed this can you please add your comments to Page 3 and on? Thanks.

Now there has been some talk on here about getting a Exhaust ticket and not knowing what to do with it. Well i got one of these tickets and was like "finally i got the damn ticket now i could take the test." Now alot of you probably just go down to the court and just pay the ticket off. I say dont! You have no reason to pay whatever it is you have to pay to have your exhaust. Instead make it legal

First you have to have one of these:

Then you need to get one of these:

You dont need the defective windshield part just the first one. You need a 2175 violation (theres another one but i cant remember the number) off the top of my head.

Then you need to call 800.622.7733 and shedule an appointment to be able to take the test. (i couldnt take pics of the actual test being done because they wouldnt allow it, sorry)

I went to take my test and i put my silencer on and done whatever i could do to keep my exhaust quiet. But to no avel it didnt help and i failed pretty damn bad. (i scored a 101db when the max is 95db (+/- 1.5))

Damn what am i going to do i thought. So i did what any normal human being would do, i put a stock one on that i got from a kid at school.

Now it looks like this:

You know you like that tilt

Then you go back to the state ref and take there test again.

With 2.25 pipping on a GSR motor with a STOCK muffler and cat. i scored a nice little number of 93db and pass

After you pass they give you this little sticker:

Now you have a sticker that says your exhaust is legal This sticker can not be removed and it is on your ticket so it has all your info on it so cops cant say **** about that its not yours. And it also has the same violation number that a cop would give you anyway.

Now some might be wondering what this test is. Basically what they do is take your car and rev it a little bit higher then 1/2 of your redline. I have a 94 GSR with a redline of 8200 so they reved it up to 4720rpm. While the car is reving they have there little noise tester saw how loud you are.

And that is how you could get your exhaust legal.

I went to the state ref thats in Monteray Park (ELACC (East LA Community College)). Now get your exhaust legal people and worry not about cops.

Modified by Luserkid at 6:50 PM 6/2/2004
Old 05-17-2004, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (Luserkid)

omg a stock exhaust was reading 93 decibles? that is freaking high? whats the deal? so what aftermarket exhaust would be under a stock one?

good info by the way..
Old 05-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (degooser)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by degooser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">omg a stock exhaust was reading 93 decibles? that is freaking high? whats the deal? so what aftermarket exhaust would be under a stock one?

good info by the way.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea i was pretty shocked too. But i read somewhere that for every 2 or 3 db's the sound level doubles. So really 93 could be normal and 95 would be double that.

The only exhaust that i know of thats legal is a Greddy Exhaust. Anything with a CARB number as well but there crap.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how do you know get out of the ticket? Do you go to court and have them throw that violation out and then you don't have to pay the fine?

The usually keep the ticket when you go to pay it off, do you get some other cert to show your exhaust is legal?
Old 05-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heh you'd be suprized,
my 93 dx with completely stock motor/exhaust was pretty darned loud.

ppl kept asking me if I had exhaust.

tho i have a cx now and its REALLY quiet.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yea i was pretty shocked too. But i read somewhere that for every 2 or 3 db's the sound level doubles. So really 93 could be normal and 95 would be double that.

The only exhaust that i know of thats legal is a Greddy Exhaust. Anything with a CARB number as well but there crap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that is just plain weird...i wonder where they got the baseline number to work with...

they should have gottent he loudest stock exhaust and used that as a baseline..ie domestics and what not..
Old 05-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

holy ****....

I worked a nasa event and 95db was the limit and most race cars were running that.........or lesss.......and your oem rear end and stock cat blow a 93db.....I winder what my no cat, straight through under the gas tank to a ricer mufferl will blow?
Old 05-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

goOd ****
Old 05-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So how do you know get out of the ticket? Do you go to court and have them throw that violation out and then you don't have to pay the fine?

The usually keep the ticket when you go to pay it off, do you get some other cert to show your exhaust is legal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have never had a ticket kept from me. I have a whole box filled with old tickets from when i was a dumbass. They always give it back to me after i pay it.

But if i get another ticket i would show the cop the sticker and if he still says no good and gives me a ticket ill just have the court drop it.

Also the ref test thing is free.... but it takes a hour out of your day to do it, so you might and might not lose money (if you work that is).
Old 05-17-2004, 04:38 PM

thanks for the proof of what I've been preaching on this board for days and days! to you!!!
Old 05-17-2004, 04:52 PM
crazy eyez killa

I do the decibal tests for my local SCCA region, and I rarely see anything over 93 db except for full race cars... we test from 25 feet away i think

Old 05-17-2004, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (YOUR MAMA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YOUR MAMA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do the decibal tests for my local SCCA region, and I rarely see anything over 93 db except for full race cars... we test from 25 feet away i think

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That might be why. The state ref test at like 2 ft from the pipe and at a 15Degree angle.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:47 PM
* B A N N E D *

im confused. so ur not making an aftermarket muffler legal, ur just tossing on a stock one?
Old 05-17-2004, 06:01 PM

I'm pretty sure its for every 10db, the noise level is twice as loud.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (NateTL17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NateTL17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm pretty sure its for every 10db, the noise level is twice as loud.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its 3
Old 05-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice
Old 05-17-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (DrunkeNmonk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DrunkeNmonk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im confused. so ur not making an aftermarket muffler legal, ur just tossing on a stock one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he is, very genious I think I am going to do this with a Apexi N1 Exhaust. It's going to be sweet
Old 05-17-2004, 07:20 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (EG2 SiR)

i'm pretty sure that the decibel scale is a logarithmic scale. which would mean that one decibel is 1 and 2 decibels would be 10 times louder etc. so on up the scale don't have the physics book with me but it think that's it

Old 05-17-2004, 07:27 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (itrhopeful)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itrhopeful &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm pretty sure that the decibel scale is a logarithmic scale. which would mean that one decibel is 1 and 2 decibels would be 10 times louder etc. so on up the scale don't have the physics book with me but it think that's it

</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.americansaferoom.co...s.HTM every 3 points, the sound energy doubles.

It is based on a lagarithmic scale as you stated.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pretty cool.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wasn't testing suppose to be from 50 ft away?
i thought i read that in sportcompact a few issues back when they were doing the tickets and exhaust thing ??
Old 05-17-2004, 07:32 PM

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (CTRwannaB)

just found this GREAT info:

http://www.vfaq.com/BADSM/CHP-Exhaust.html
Old 05-17-2004, 07:35 PM

fucken cal
Old 05-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (bossman032)

Damn good writeup.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review (DrunkeNmonk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DrunkeNmonk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im confused. so ur not making an aftermarket muffler legal, ur just tossing on a stock one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont hurt yourself trying to figure it out. But my Aftermarket is legal

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itrhopeful &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm pretty sure that the decibel scale is a logarithmic scale. which would mean that one decibel is 1 and 2 decibels would be 10 times louder etc. so on up the scale don't have the physics book with me but it think that's it

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are close it is every 3 and sound gets louder.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CTRwannaB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wasn't testing suppose to be from 50 ft away?
i thought i read that in sportcompact a few issues back when they were doing the tickets and exhaust thing ?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if it was then they really fucked me over because i dont think i have 50 ft arms. And from my elbow to my middle finger is about how far this thing was from my car.

Quick Reply: [FAQ] Cali Exhaust Noise Violation Ticket Review