Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Brake problem

Old 05-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake problem

Searched and couldnt find anything exactly like what I have. My 90 teg gs has intermitant braking problems. Sometimes there is really good brake pressure, and sometimes the pedal will go to the floor and I have to keep pumping it to stop completely. Could this be from a dirty wheel sensor? Any suggestions would be great.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: Brake problem (stealth civic)

Wow, that's really dangerous. Stop driving.

Wheel sensors? Not sure what you mean by that. Anyway, did you try bleeding the system?
Old 05-07-2004, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's not the wheel sensors. It's either air in the brake system or a bad master cylinder. I'm guessing if you bleed your brakes it'll help for a short time but won't really fix the problem. You probably need a new master cylinder.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im going to check the ABS rings on my axles sometime this weekend. The pedal doesnt just drop to the floor, but it slowly geeps drpressing until right before i stop, then it bottoms out. Maybe i will also flush the brake fluids, i guess there could be moisture in the system. Wont a bad master cylinder ba associated with leaking or low brake fluid. My fluids are fine, not losing any as far as I can tell, and dont see any leaks.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:32 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's not the wheel sensors. It's either air in the brake system or a bad master cylinder. I'm guessing if you bleed your brakes it'll help for a short time but won't really fix the problem. You probably need a new master cylinder.</TD></TR></TABLE>i second that
Old 05-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealth civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im going to check the ABS rings on my axles sometime this weekend. The pedal doesnt just drop to the floor, but it slowly geeps drpressing until right before i stop, then it bottoms out. Maybe i will also flush the brake fluids, i guess there could be moisture in the system. Wont a bad master cylinder ba associated with leaking or low brake fluid. My fluids are fine, not losing any as far as I can tell, and dont see any leaks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dang, my 94 GS-R does the EXACT same thing, sometimes it feels fine and other times it will sink. I flushed my brake fluid in March, and I'm thinking my friend may have pushed the brake pedal too hard (pushed down too far) causing dirt on the piston to get into the seals. I need to replace my MC I know.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealth civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... Wont a bad master cylinder ba associated with leaking or low brake fluid. My fluids are fine, not losing any as far as I can tell, and dont see any leaks.</TD></TR></TABLE>The way most MCs fail is the leak bypasses the piston seal. It doesn't leak OUT, it leaks back into the reservoir.

It sound like it's NOT your ABS in any way at all. Besides, your ABS would throw a code if a wheel sensor were messed up.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake problem (JimBlake)

Thanks for the help, Ive had a new MC layin around for awhile, maybe Ill replace it sometime soon.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:57 PM

late reply - my MC leaked out and ran down the inside of the fire wall - either way it sounds like the MC