Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How To Recalibrate the Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Recalibrate the Speedometer

After looking around and finding nothing to help i made up my own way to reset the needle on my speedo meter, from when i made the mistake of taking it off to put on some indigo gauges.

First off you'll need Two Jackstands, and a fancy scanner that can read the output from your speedo sensor in real time(Electric Type) Cable will be discussed later.

Its actually pretty simple the hard part is finding someone with the scanner the one i ussed was a snap-on and retails for over 2k but anyhow.

(1) Jack the car up on jackstands
(2) Ensure the car wont fall off by rocking it a few times back and forth
(3) Take out your gage cluster window so you can get to the needle, but leave it wired up for the next step
(4) Hook up the sensor to the service port and follow the instructions to get the input from the speedo sensor
(5) Now simpley get your speed up so the sensor is putting out an even output say 20mph
(6) If the needle isent already off the guage take it off now and wait a few seconds and then carefully watch your scanner and make sure you put the needle on, pointing at the same mark the scanner shows.
(7) Rev up and down a few times to check your in sync otherwise repeat step 5-6 and try again untill your sarisfied with the results.

This wont acount for different tire sizes but it gets it pretty damned close.

*If you have a cable driven speedo or dont have accease to a nifty scanner like i do you can try doing it this way altho i havent tried it. The idea sounds good.

(1) Remove the window to your gauge cluster so you have accease to the needles
(2) Get a friend with a good speedo, or better yet a handheld gps ($99 one will do just fine, it needs to show you, your speed)
(3) find yourself a nice deserted stretch of road - preffibly a parking lot and straight
(4) Take off your needle and have your friend and yourself get going to say 15 or 20 mph and sync up speed wise and press the needle onto the gauge
(5) If your ussing the GPS method get up to speed 20mph and press the needle into place.
(6) Test it out with your buddy or Gps unit to check your results for good measure

Lastly this idea just came to me while writing this up

if your speedo is say 7 or 15mph off like mine was, you can propably move the needle out to say 45mph and then if your 15mph faster then actuall hold the shaft for the needle with a needle nose pliers and DONT allow it to move, take off the needle and then reset it to where your speed is actuall. As allways CHECK EVERYTHING!!!!!!

I recomend ussing one of those speed carts the cops place around town to give ppl a heads up about there speed.

Hope this helps someone out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter (civic_rice)

does this actually work and not throw off your speedo???
it might be worth it to get a speedo that is old just to try it..

im in serious need of getting out a ticket so im not at risk of losing my liscense and im about to get some tires that are too big for my car and possibly do this so i can get the ticket dropped....
Old 05-19-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter (TurboBumblBee)

good ideas, my gsr speedo was off 5 mph and i just set it with a friend driving next to me on the high way!
Old 06-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter (96teggyls)

I was thinking.......
What about people with a hondata cant they just datalog and set it like that??
I guess that would work too right?
Old 06-03-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter (vtec69)

I dont know to much about hondata to know, The speedo goes thro the ecu so I dont see why not. My proplem was the speed sensor was right on but the speedo was showing something else, So I came up with my idea.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter (nocturnaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont know to much about hondata to know, The speedo goes thro the ecu so I dont see why not. My proplem was the speed sensor was right on but the speedo was showing something else, So I came up with my idea.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cause when I datalog i shift at like 7200 on the dash and the hondata says im at 8k so i trust the hondata more than the dash
Old 06-03-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter (vtec69)

As you should the dash cluster is notorious for being off significantly
Old 06-30-2005, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter (nocturnaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">*If you have a cable driven speedo or dont have accease to a nifty scanner like i do you can try doing it this way altho i havent tried it. The idea sounds good.

(1) Remove the window to your gauge cluster so you have accease to the needles
(2) Get a friend with a good speedo, or better yet a handheld gps ($99 one will do just fine, it needs to show you, your speed)
(3) find yourself a nice deserted stretch of road - preffibly a parking lot and straight
(4) Take off your needle and have your friend and yourself get going to say 15 or 20 mph and sync up speed wise and press the needle onto the gauge
(5) If your ussing the GPS method get up to speed 20mph and press the needle into place.
(6) Test it out with your buddy or Gps unit to check your results for good measure
</TD></TR></TABLE>

OMG, I thought I was the only person to do this. GPS's work good for this. Got my EG cluster working 3mph over (on purpose). Stupid lead foot...

good writeup

sorry to bringback from the dead
Old 07-13-2006, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter (JUN1OR)

good
Old 10-21-2006, 12:09 AM

Default Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter (profroopchan)

Don't mean to bump an old, archived, FAQ thread for nothing. My problem is, I drove to Cedar Point in my car (notorious for pulling MI cars over, and my car is easy to spot) where there are many devices that show speed, as well as driving by many of the devices on the shoulder that are supposed to show speed. I always seem to be going slower than than what my speedo reads when driving by these devices, yet I was riding along side my roommate in his stock Explorer Sport Trac, and we were reading exactly the same speed. Anyone with an answer? I have tested my speedo with other cars as well, and I always seem to be going what their speedo indicates.

-Shane
Old 10-21-2006, 01:22 AM

Default Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter (nighttrain33)

this should be way ilLegal &gt; peronally i DGAF so should this really work and be done with ?
Old 10-21-2006, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter (20CiViCSi00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 20CiViCSi00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this should be way ilLegal &gt; peronally i DGAF so should this really work and be done with ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

That attempt at a sentence should be illegal.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:55 AM

i replaced the guts of my Si Cluster with my stock DX cluster. i have been consistently 5mph over speed, but i was wondering if that had something to do with the fact that i have Honda Fit steelies on my EK? i've been about 5mph off with the police road mph thingies so i was thinking about trying your idea here...
Old 10-21-2006, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

most people make the mistake of putting their needle back on with the car off.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:20 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't mean to bump an old, archived, FAQ thread for nothing. My problem is, I drove to Cedar Point in my car (notorious for pulling MI cars over, and my car is easy to spot) where there are many devices that show speed, as well as driving by many of the devices on the shoulder that are supposed to show speed. I always seem to be going slower than than what my speedo reads when driving by these devices, yet I was riding along side my roommate in his stock Explorer Sport Trac, and we were reading exactly the same speed. Anyone with an answer? I have tested my speedo with other cars as well, and I always seem to be going what their speedo indicates.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The speed radar "signs" almost always read a bit low. Every car I have ever owned has indicated a slightly higher speed than the roadside radar devices do.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:27 AM

Default Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The speed radar "signs" almost always read a bit low. Every car I have ever owned has indicated a slightly higher speed than the roadside radar devices do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Gotcha. Well this eases my worries a bit. Not that I was too worried, but I wasn't sure since my speedo was always reading faster than the police radars. That's kinda stupid though. Why even have them, if they read incorrectly. Probably to trap us into thinking we are going slower than we are, and then we'll speed up even more.

-Shane
Old 10-21-2006, 10:43 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gotcha. Well this eases my worries a bit. Not that I was too worried, but I wasn't sure since my speedo was always reading faster than the police radars. That's kinda stupid though. Why even have them, if they read incorrectly. Probably to trap us into thinking we are going slower than we are, and then we'll speed up even more. </TD></TR></TABLE>
They're doing you a favor. If your indicated speed never exceeds the local speed limit, or even if indicated speed is a few MPH over, you're sure to never be speeding. You'd have to really be hauling *** to get pulled over.

From my experiences both in Michigan and in Sandusky, most Michigan drivers are pretty awful so I'm not surprised the OH fuzz targets them
Old 10-21-2006, 10:47 AM

Default Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From my experiences both in Michigan and in Sandusky, most Michigan drivers are pretty awful so I'm not surprised the OH fuzz targets them </TD></TR></TABLE>

Um, yeah. This is why some days I dread driving the whole ten minutes to/from work. Just about every day someone does something stupid. And I'm the silly ricer? I don't think so. I don't even remember the last time I instigated a race or even participated when I was challenged. Or on my days off I just get so pissed at how some people actually passed their road test. I am getting angry just thinking about it, and now I have to drive 45 minutes to a wedding with my girlfriend

-Shane
Old 10-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good info!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter

I do realize that this thread was originally intended to correct the speedometer 'needle' problems when installing an aftermarket gauge cover or possible JDM package,,, and now 4 years later!!

However, I thought I would shed a little light and maybe a new direction for those that are still stuck with no resolve or merely just wanting to FINALLY remove that slight deviation so that you can be "right on" and stop the worry when in need of absolute speed measurement! I have been using this devise on my motorcycle for years without any variation once initially set.

The Yellow Box by Black Robotics - www.yellr.com

Yellow Box Speedometer Recalibration

Acknowledged as the world's best speedo recalibrator due to it's advanced features
and tiny size, the Yellow Box corrects the speedometer and odometer of any
vehicle that uses a hall-effect speed sensor to generate the speedometer signal.

Features of the Yellow Box v4 -- Model No. YB4

# Corrects both the speedo and odometer by the same percentage/correction ratio

# Speedometer correction range; -50% to +100% (1:2 to 2:1 ratio range)
# Fine correction adjustment; 0.5% steps
# KPH-MPH and MPH-KPH speedo conversion

# Bright LED displays switch settings and test modes
# System testing on power-up, inbuilt input and output tests
# High-speed microprocessor accuracy, instant response, no speedo lag
# Fully digital, exact, instant adjustment

# Conveniently powered from speed sensor power
# Power supply voltage; 5 to 16 volt
# Very low power consumption (20mA)

# Tiny size; 37 x 62 x 14mm, weighs only 32 grams
# Rugged water and vibration proof encapsulation
# Strong mounting hole and connector strength
# Compatible with most modern motorcycles, cars and trucks
# Legendary reliability and 10 year replacement warranty!

Check their website for specials. I hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to: Reset the Speedo meter

Dears,
My Speedometer hand showing turbulant Up & down Nos while driving, Why? what causing this and How to solve it?
thanks for Tech. valid comment
parsapours@aol.com