Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (fourthgenhatchB17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fourthgenhatchB17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. Rio Hondo College in Whittier, CA

2. 89 Civic hatchback DX with 1992 B17A1. Converted to obd-1, CARB legal DC header, low mileage Carsound cat, greddy SP cat back, JDM EF9 air box and pipe.

3. Everything went super smooth. There were 2 guys there (one main guy, one assistant) and both were friendly and informative.

They did check my ECU code and did jump my "CEL connector" to see if the CEL would actually come on. I passed my first time. I recommend running through a full tank with GM fuel system cleaner/decarbonizer prior to test. </TD></TR></TABLE>

2nd time with this same REF. Experience was quite different.

1. Rio Honda College in Whittier.

2. '89 CRX Si with first gen B16a, DC header for Del Sol, JDM P30 intake manifold with vacuum nipple added to look like USDM, 95 GSR throttle body, 99 SI fuel rail, brand new Magnaflow cat, USDM P30 ECU, JDM ef9 air box and pipe, 2 1/4" piping with stock like muffler. Car also has a wire tuck as well as a jumper harness.

3. The car passed the emissions with flying colors, but he failed me the first time due to not having the "datalink connector" that belongs under the dash near the ecu. This connector is NOT the same as the "check engine" one, which of course I had. He said all 92+ Hondas have them and my CRX needed it since the ECU was newer than 1992. I wasnt expecting this since he passed my 89 hatchback with a B17 (ecu is a 92+) and it didnt have this said connector! I mentioned this to him and he didnt seem to care. It seems that this REF is still learning and is inconsistent with what he looks for. I will NOT go back to this station for my future REF needs.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (slammed_93_hatch)

1. Las Positas College, Livermore

2. '91 CRX Si with a JDM B16a1, USDM Del sol P30 ecu, DC del sol headers, AEM short ram del sol intake, Skunk 2 IM, d-series throttle body bored to b-series size, conversion harness by rywire, magnaflow catalytic converter, stock exhaust.

3. Total of 4 times it took me to get my sticker. First I failed for having an intake for civic si when I'm trying to convert to del sol (duh!), it doesn't make much sense but rules are rules. The other two tries I couldn't pass emissions. I had to replace my cat and run some CRC guaranteed to pass. Brought down my NO at 15 mph from 1424 to 813, and HC's down too. I did not need to replace purge solenoid, canister, or fuel regulator. Also I did not wire up the service harness, and thank God the conversion harness was not a problem. Went in with a good attitude and didn't get mad when they told me I'd have to come back. I would definately return to this ref station.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (west nile)

El Camino College

1992 Si Honda Civic Hatchback with JDM B18C GSR Swap, USDM P72 ECU...all stock

Ref there is nice! Not a dick or anything...They don't ask questions, knows what they're doing...run the car...checked the connections(wiring and such), checked the head and the block, checked my ecu..they didnt asked for anything not even the reciept of my swap from HMO. Passed with flying colors...they also complimented who did my swap!

Many thanks to Luserkid...

BARD wohooooo!!!

Modified by grayegcivic at 2:16 PM 1/29/2007
Old 02-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Rcp
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (grayegcivic)

Old 03-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (Rcp)

1. Fremont, WyoTech Institute

2. 1993 Honda Civic Cx Hatch with JDM B18C GSR swap, USDM P72 ECU with Hondata S300 with AEM CAI airbox, stock headers and new Autosound/Magnaflow CAT and Apexi WS2, Mugen Fanswitch, and Spoon Radiator cap.

3. guys seemed knowledgable but they were hella ****. They failed me for incorrect cat o2 sensor location. missing cap on EVAP purge valve and missing tee for IABV valve to FPR. But ultimately failed for GROSS polluter. HC = 146 PPM and NO = 2204 PPM. so gonna have to replace my cat hopefully it will pass at Alameda.

4.After 10 tries and many different changes i finally passed at Evergreen Valley college, San Jose. This took changing my ECU with Hondata tuned for AFR at 14.7. SEAFOAMing the hell out of my car and using something called CLEAN POWER in the gas.

5. Alameda Review guys were pretty cool just put my car directly on the dyno when i got in but failed anyways.

6. Evergreen is recommended only because they don't have ramps so all you guys with front lips can actually try to get BAR'ed, Wyotech aborted my test as soon as he saw my lip and cancelled my appt which wasted my hr waiting to get tested.

Modified by vietfella at 6:54 AM 6/11/2007
Old 05-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW

Sothwestern College
Chula Vista, CA

passed with flying colors..didnt ask for paper work just told me to have copy of reciept for motor in car just in case cops ask for it....ref asked me what i did to the car...i told him acura integra gsr motor...ref replies" Good Choice how do you like it?" recommend soutwestern ref station
Old 09-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (cbryde1212)

this need a bump. lookin for some ref station in the 909 area. and can somebody post their specs. pass and fail. i would like to know where i stand with a hatch with a 99 gsr. i will tell the ref that my motor is a 95 so he can run as obd1 instead of obd2. if someone has the specs. for the HC,CO,CO2,O2 and NOX. can u please post it up. pass or fail. thankz. looking for the best place to go to in 909 area.. thankz..
Old 09-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (red-si-eg..)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by red-si-eg.. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this need a bump. lookin for some ref station in the 909 area. and can somebody post their specs. pass and fail. i would like to know where i stand with a hatch with a 99 gsr. i will tell the ref that my motor is a 95 so he can run as obd1 instead of obd2. if someone has the specs. for the HC,CO,CO2,O2 and NOX. can u please post it up. pass or fail. thankz. looking for the best place to go to in 909 area.. thankz..</TD></TR></TABLE>

what year hatch? comes to mind.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (4drgsr96)

mine is a 95 si. with a 99 gsr. its pass emission in texas with flyin colors but i know that cali is different thats why i want to know the specs so i can see where im at. thankz. plannin to move out there.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is my read out as of today. when and got a test run.
15 mph hc=52, co=0.05 no=19
25mph hc=28 co=0.02 no=12
what yall think. the only problem i have now is that the motor is a obd2 but im runnin it as a obd1 with a stock p72. what will i need to do to get my car to pass. thankz for the help..
Old 10-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump need to know a cool place to go to in the 909 area
Old 11-08-2007, 07:33 PM

what kind of motor? IM IN THE CHULA AREA AS WELL AND I OWN A 94 EG CX WITH PLANS OF HAVING MY JDM B16A pass the ref... any suggestions?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (degooser)

1. Southwestern Community College Ref Station San Diego, Ca

2. 1992 Honda Civic VX OBD1 USDM GSR motor w/VAFC (hidden), DC 4-1 headers, magnaflow exhaust and AEM SRI

3. Guy was cool. I still remember his name, MIKE, he was an older guy. He was straight forward. it took me awhile to pass, but everytime he hoped i would pass. the day i finally passed, the first run i barely failed. he let my car run a little to get the cat hot to retest it. second time 10 mins later, i passed
Old 11-09-2007, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (jay_cue)

subscribed
Old 11-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Elcamino City College, CA

2. 1997 Honda Civic DX with JDM GSR engine.
-Sotck intake, exhaust, 99 Civic cat, USDM ECU
-Modded; CKF wires, Fake FTP sensor, Routed
Secondary o2 sensors.

3. Ref was cool. He seemed to be a dick at first but turned out to be human. Just as long as you don't BS with em he'll let you know what you need to do to pass and give some good info. This was my FIRST time and I passed with flying colors.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zerovandez)

1. San Jacinto College, CA

2. 1995 civic ex with B18b swap, headers, and short ram intake.

3. I was nice to the guys there but they were jerks. I failed on emissions and intake manifold. I went back a second time after passing a pretest and replacing the intake manifold. They passed me on the intake manifold but failed my on emissions. They said that’s what you get for getting one of those Japanese engines. Now I’m going to Huntington Beach. I haven't hered anyone say they went there though. Hope the guys there are cool.

(update) i passed 8th times a charme... the more i went the better the guys treated me. one thing i found out was that they would be willing to bar a b20

Modified by mike03,95civic at 3:14 PM 5/5/2008
Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW (dunce237)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dunce237 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what kind of motor? IM IN THE CHULA AREA AS WELL AND I OWN A 94 EG CX WITH PLANS OF HAVING MY JDM B16A pass the ref... any suggestions? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont think there are real suggestions but make sure that you have all smog equipment hooked up correctly. if everythings done right, there shouldnt be any problems in passing
Old 11-09-2007, 10:30 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (mike03,95civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike03,95civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. San Jacinto College, CA

2. 1995 civic ex with B18b swap, headers, and short ram intake.

3. I was nice to the guys there but they were jerks. I failed on emissions and intake manifold. I went back a second time after passing a pretest and replacing the intake manifold. They passed me on the intake manifold but failed my on emissions. They said that’s what you get for getting one of those Japanese engines. Now I’m going to Huntington Beach. I haven't hered anyone say they went there though. Hope the guys there are cool.

Modified by mike03,95civic at 8:26 PM 11/9/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya that guy is a dick, my freind used to go to school there and told me about him....said the guy that worked there bags on imports and calls muscle cars "real cars"

temecula ca (forgot the name its off of jefferson passed old town)

93 civic coupe with k24/k20 build. nitrous oxide systems wet shot. rbc intake mani. cheap fart can exhuast.

the guys seemed pretty cool.....i went there becuase i lost a bet with my freind as a joke......they popped the hood looked around and failed me when he saw the k-pro ecu sitting in the passenger side foot area....then asked if it was a standalone....
Old 11-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suicide_shift)

I just found out something else about the San Jacinto BAR... This guy had his civic BARed but I guess a while later he put on a intake that wasn't street legal and a cop pulled him over and gave him a fix it ticket. So he put on a legal intake went to the ref and the same guy I went to checked all of his motor and wrote him up on a bunch of stuff. This is after his car has already been BARed. Any way just thought I would warn every body about this place.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:49 AM

Default Re: (mike03,95civic)

This is one of the reasons I joined the site. I was having a problems with a customers car so I wanted to find a easy referee to send the car to. I had a what I thought was a bad time with a referee about a year ago at the San Jacinto referee. I kept have to fix other problems as I went back to him I can not recal his name. But it turns out once I started to listen to him and follow his advice he was correct. I thougt I knew what I was doing. I want to go to another referee. Because I do not want to give him the satisfaction of being the man, with the good answers. But since I have problem with,me I will not go back there(I do not want to look bad) If some one else wants to go there he is great at doing his job. What other referee would be good to go to?

1990 acura integra b18 jackson super charger
Old 02-19-2008, 10:58 AM

Default Re: (stank123)

1. Southwestern Community College, Chula Vista,CA

2.1995 Vx hatch with OBD1 converted 1999 LS

3.Really cool guy he knows alot about hondas. Hes been around for a while so you cant really lie to him, just make sure everything is stock or apears stock for the year of your car and make sure youll pass smog. Also the cool thing about this place is that you can see what they are doing. you can even stand next to the guy when he is doing the visual. BTW a GSR was being passes when i got there. So i highly recommended this place for those who are in the SD area and even for people in LA who want to take on the drive.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (akmao)

someone please pm me on how i can get a verification for my scu from . I got a ref inspection in the morning thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cheeksnme)

im taking mines in Monday at Southwestern college
Old 05-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default New experience

1. Wyotech in Fremont, CA

2. 1991 Civic Si w/ JDM B16A from an Integra Xsi w/ AEM CAI, DC header, custom 2.5" catback exhaust, full OBD 1 conversion.

3. At first I though the main guy there, Sorin, was going to screw me. The first report that he made up said that I needed a new Intake assy., I/M, fuel rail, ECU, header, and some evap stuff. I basically had the stock JDM I/M with a 91 Si intake arm and air box, P30 ECU, and no evap purge solenoid. I also failed the tail pipe test with 3x the limit on NOx. So I was like WTF?!?

Turns out, the purge solenoid and the intake assy. were the two main things he didn't like. He wanted me to put in the entire air intake assy. including the resonator from a 94 Del Sol VTEC into my car which obviously would not fit properly. I opted to get a CARB exempt AEM CAI for a 94 Del Sol VTEC of course.

For the evap. purge solenoid I found an old used one, "refurbished" it and did a little custom plumbing into the manifold since my JDM I/M didn't have the proper mounting or vacuum nipple.

For the ECU, I had to get a print out of a Honda parts diagram to prove that the P30 ECU was the correct one, since his info (from Alldata) said that the P28 was the correct ECU.

The second time I went in, he remembered me and pretty much everything that was wrong the first time around without looking at the car. I also had to fix a few little things like getting a new cat and fixing some exhaust leaks, but I ended up just barely passing the tail pipe test.

All in all, it was not a bad experience and the guy was cool the second time around. I think that he really just wanted to see a little effort put into making the car pass. In the end, I still had a slight high idle problem and the incorrect fuel rail but he didn't trip cuz he saw that I fixed pretty much everything else and I passed the tail pipe test.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:46 AM
Is Partying at your House

Default Re: New experience (pngfolife)

1.) Santa Rosa Junior College Smog Referee Station

2.) 1988 Honda CRX SI. JDM 89 B16, Skunk 2 IM, DC Sports Header, Skunk 2 Catback, 00 SI cat with 02 bung pluged, 4-wire 02, GSR throttle body, USDM P30 ECU, Rywire conversion harness, and a EVAP purge solenoid from a b16a3. Stock CRX intake arm and airbox.

3.) The guy that tested my car was from another station(Alameda). He was cool, tested the car and going over it with the students. One student was looking for the Data Link connector, and he told them 98% of the cars dont have them. Passed the first time.

Quick Reply: FAQ: REF STATION REVIEW