Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Car still "clicking" when key is turned, new battery.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car still "clicking" when key is turned, new battery.

New battery, and my connections are spotless, which makes me think that (assuming its not the starter) since it starts perfectly fine some mornings and not others, and then after the initial drive it will usually start right up just like before. the diff being that the engine is warm.

I was wondering if there is like a solenoid in the dash of something that kicks over and puts juice to the starter. If this were failing, it would maybe give the motor about half a crank and then stop. and then click (trying to kick over) and then finally start the car.
Is there any solenoid like that? or just the one on the actual starter motor?

Another theory I have is that my ignition is somehow briefly making connection to the starter giving it a half crank. Like a conductivity problem in the electronic connections of the ignition (not making connection when you turn the key. But how would this explain the loud click? Anyone have their ignition go bad with 130K?

Also, when I originally poster awhile ago, several of you said you had the same problem. Have any of you discovered fixes for it? thank you!

sohc
Old 02-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car still "clicking" when key is turned, new battery. (SOHCMAN)

Check the ignition harness..They are notorious for going out and causing problems..
Old 02-25-2004, 10:27 AM
vc

Default Re: Car still "clicking" when key is turned, new battery. (baGged93aCcord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by baGged93aCcord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the ignition harness..They are notorious for going out and causing problems..</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats "harness"?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:29 AM
90Ninja

Default Re: Car still "clicking" when key is turned, new battery. (baGged93aCcord)

Well if the starter is clicking then it can't be the relay, because if it's clicking that means it's getting power. The starter motor just isn't engaging. How new is the battery? Did it ever sit out in the cold or on cement? Check the battery with a voltmeter to make sure it has over 12.2 volts. It could be a bad connection on the starter itself or in the solenoid on the starter.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car still "clicking" when key is turned, new battery. (sh0rti)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sh0rti &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

whats "harness"?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its located in behind the steer shroud and is about 18 inches long and for some reason the connections are notorious for going out.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:40 AM

When ever you have an intermitent problem like yours, it is difficult to diagnos...

Does the battery drain when you experience the clicking?

Most likely the wiring between battery and starter, starter solenoid and ignition switch...

No miracles here, you need to look at all the wiring and see if you have voltage going throug...

Try having a friend start the car and wiggle the connections... That may indicate where the problem is...

fs
Old 02-25-2004, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's what happened when my starter went out. It started the car only sometimes.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (accordfreak)

When you say the harness is under the "steering shroud", you mean the black cover around the steering wheel area? or a diferent part of the dash?
thanks, SOHC
Old 02-27-2004, 09:57 PM
We sell parts.

Default Re: (SOHCMAN)

Does it click once or click multiple times?
Old 02-28-2004, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here is what u do. when it doesn't start just get jumper cables and try to start it with the help of another car. if it still does the same **** and u 12.2v from ur battery just disconect all the electric wires that go from the batery to the starter. clean them up and then put them together. check for wires that the cover might be ok but inside they are all fucked up. if this still don't work just go and put another starter man or get ur car to a diagnostic center and get that **** check out
Old 02-28-2004, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHCMAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCMAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you say the harness is under the "steering shroud", you mean the black cover around the steering wheel area? or a diferent part of the dash?
thanks, SOHC</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yuppers thats the one..Take that off and the ignition harness will be exposed..It is a common problem that people will sometimes over look.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:00 AM
BVH

Your problem is your starter. The contacts in the starter solenoid go bad and the car just clicks when you try to start it. If it was the electrical portion of the ignition switch which is located behind the column covers the car start and die if it was bad.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah man don't even touch that. bvh is right. u got problem with the starte. if it does a lot of clicks then it might might be a battery or something else but not any parts of the ignition swich so don't even touch that dude.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCMAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I was wondering if there is like a solenoid in the dash of something that kicks over and puts juice to the starter. If this were failing, it would maybe give the motor about half a crank and then stop. and then finally start the car.
Another theory I have is that my ignition is somehow briefly making connection to the starter giving it a half crank.
sohc</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is why i suggested the harness..but if its not turning over at all then the harness is not your problem and alb_accord and BVH are correct
Old 02-29-2004, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No doubt its the starter. They're all like that. Sometimes they work and sometimes they do. If it won't start then take a hammer and lightly tap the starter, then turn the key again it shud start up. But your gonna still hafta replace it.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:23 PM

sorry to come to class so late here but i'm hoping i can maybe lend some help to not only you but other as well with these tips. i'll do my best at explaining here because i know how expensive starters are and i'd hate to see anyone on H-T replace one when they might be able to fix the problem for a few dollars worth of parts. i knw this is the Accord corner but i'm assuming most Honda starters are similar. i have received much appreciated help from many people on various boards including H-T here and I just want to give back in return whenever I can with whatever knowledge I have. let me say that i'm not certified Honda technician and i only kow what i've read, done mysewlf or seen done with my own two fleshcams, but I honestly enjoy helping people otu with their Hondas and helping you all out whenever I can. hopefully this will work for you SOHCMAN.

it's your starter like they said. my tech friend at Honda House in town here explained to me how to fix it and this is my best explanation. i hope it helps you out because my starter caused me a world of headaches trying to diagnose what it's problem was and it ended up being something simple and stupid like most problems tend to be. i have learned through that experience to start with the dumb **** and work your way to the major things .

sounds like you have the same problem I had and this is what it was: the contacts have been worn down and the plunger isn't making contact with them anymore to complete the circuit which makes the starter motor turn. the plunger extending and retracting is the clicking noise you hear when you turn the key but nothing happens. you don't hear or notice this clicking when the starter is working because the engine is beginning to turn.

to make a short story long...when you turn your ignition key, this sends an electrical signal to the starter solenoid (one of the big bulges). this soleniod pushes a round copper metal plunger up to two copper contacts (which are "L" shaped and are attached underneath the two threaded posts which you bolt the two wires to on the outside of the starter)

so...the solenoid advances the plunger up and at the same time this also extends the toothed-spline out of the starter into the teeth of the ring gear on your flywheel or torque converter. the metal plunger in the starter makes a contact with the two copper terminals, completing a circuit which brings power to the elecetric starter motor. the starter motor is VERY POWERFUL (hence the reason you can drain your battery by making too many start attempts) and causes the toothed spline to turn and crank your motor over. if yo've ever tried to turn your motor by hand when working on it, you know how powerful the starter is and hwo easily it can suck the jiuce from your battery.

my Honda tech friend told me that over time the contacts become worm because the plunger is pressed against them when the starter is turning for the few moments when you start the car. eventually they wear down so much that the plunger doens't contact them and this is why tapping the starter with a hammer or something solid remedies the problem for a short time. however, replacing these contacts (or the whole starter depending on which type you have) is the only real cure.

i had the same problem on my 88 Civic sedan. i didn't feel like dumping $300CDN for a new Honda starter into my flat black home-painted winter beater. most Honda starters have caps on the back of the starter which can be removed to gain access to the motor and solenoid. this is where you will find the terminals. if i remember correctly they only cost a couple dollars each and if you have a few friends at your dealership in the shop and behind the parts counter like i do, they might be able to perform some magic for you and have them magically disappear from the shelves and appear in your pocket without even having to pul out your wallet like mine did

unfortunately i don't have a digi cam or a spare starter to show you how it's done but anyone with mechanical inclination and a decent processor in their coconut can figure it out as you go along. just remember exactly how you took it apart and that installation is reverse of removal. just rmember to REMOVE the starter from the car before working on it and DISCONNECT the battery before even touching the car with tools.

sorry i coulnd't be of more visual or verbal explanitory help. i replaced my contacts almost two years ago and the starter is like new on my beater. IMO provided the starter motor itself is in good shape the copper contacts replacement will breath many years of new life into your starter. a few dollars worth of replacement parts is better than spedning a couple hundred on a new starter.

this may or may not work for you but hope it does . if you need help with it, PM or email me and I can do my best to remember how i did it and walk you thru it

Modified by 519RACING at 7:37 PM 3/13/2004