Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 12-02-2003, 09:42 PM   #1
Teg4e
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Premium Gas at Exxon vs. Sheetz

Is there a difference in the 93 at a Exxon/Mobil/Texaco/Shell (brand-name) vs. a Sheetz (cheapo) gas station? It's like 15 cents cheaper, but I'm not gonna risk my turbo motor on the stuff without some reassurance.

P.S. sorry if this has been covered....
Old 12-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #2
Tetronious
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Tetronious
Default Re: Premium Gas at Exxon vs. Sheetz (Teg4e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teg4e
Is there a difference in the 93 at a Exxon/Mobil/Texaco/Shell (brand-name) vs. a Sheetz (cheapo) gas station? It's like 15 cents cheaper, but I'm not gonna risk my turbo motor on the stuff without some reassurance.

P.S. sorry if this has been covered....
i always get mine at Exxon or Mobil. Anytime I got Sheetz gas with any other vehicle the gas mileage dropped regardless of the octane. Im not about to get it there.
Tetronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:38 AM   #3
Teg4e
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Premium Gas at Exxon vs. Sheetz (Tetronious)

I was thinking more about the quality of the gas, like if it's as resistant to detonation and burns as clean.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:54 AM   #4
Johnyquest
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

I don't know to be honest, but I think it all comes from the same wells. I've ran cheapo a few times too, and I also got nervous... But she held together on me, so who knows.
Johnyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:01 AM   #5
RedTegLS
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Premium Gas at Exxon vs. Sheetz (Johnyquest)

I know for a fact that there are gas stations that get gas cheaper becuase they take whatever is left from each tanker that rolls into town. I mean in a 20 min time frame I watched 3 different tankers pull in to a no name stations and unload fuel!
Sold:<U>1995 Integra LS</U> T3/T4 Turbonetics-Tial 38mm WG-Blitz BOV-RC 550's-Walbro 255-Greddy type 31 FMIC-Custom ECU-3" Thermal-3" High flow cat-FlamencoT Oil lines-Eibach Pro Kit-TurboXS MBC @10psi
[B]225 whp 188 ft/lbs @ 8psi[/B]
Not on a dynojet [img]http://images.honda-tech.com/set1/smile/emthup.gif[/img]
RedTegLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #6
MaxBoost
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to MaxBoost
Default Re: Premium Gas at Exxon vs. Sheetz (RedTegLS)

You turbo guys can't really notice but take it from me an all-motor guy..

If I run 93 Mobil/Shell/Chevron Gasoline in my 12.2:1 Motor, I wouldn't ping. It would run pretty good, w/o any problems or sounds..

With Exxon or Amoco it would ping slightly.

When i switched over to the cheapy brand (in miami they're called Weststar, Marathon, American, Citgo) and my car would ping like a ****, especially with citgo and weststar..

I tested this extensively before because I wanted to make sure that it wasn't just a bad tanker that an individual gas station got, or just a cheasy gas station. And almost all the time, the big shot gas stations never gave me problems and the little ghetto ones did..
[b]Daily Driver[/b] - 2007 Civic Si Sedan w/ Navi
[b]Coming Soon[/b] - K24 EG Hatch!

MaxBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:53 AM   #7
Teg4e
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Premium Gas at Exxon vs. Sheetz (MaxBoost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBoost
You turbo guys can't really notice but take it from me an all-motor guy..

If I run 93 Mobil/Shell/Chevron Gasoline in my 12.2:1 Motor, I wouldn't ping. It would run pretty good, w/o any problems or sounds..

With Exxon or Amoco it would ping slightly.
Interesting stuff... I really can't believe you'd ping with Exxon over Mobil, though, because they're the same company now.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:58 AM   #8
rocket256
Honda-Tech Member
1995 Honda Civic

hey bro, i dont know if this will help you out but; here goes! ok when going to get gas look at the pump. most of them have a lil white tab on it. in that lil white tab is all the gas lables. meaning 89,91,93 etc.... ok; if you put 93 in your car before you pump it look at the lil tab for 93. under the 93 is going to be 0 (+) or (- ) any number. so if a that gas pump the 93 has a +2. that means that the 93 octane is reading 95. and this goes for all pumps. but not all gas stations have them. ie (lil white tab). try to make sure that you look at that before you put your gas. if someone could post a picture of this (lil white tab) it would help a lot of people understand what im trying to explane.
rocket256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 05:48 PM   #9
Teg4e
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Premium Gas at Exxon vs. Sheetz (rocket256)

cool, I've never heard of that.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:57 PM   #10
Johnyquest
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

I was thinking about somthing today when I went to the gas station that sort of pissed me off, tell me what you all think:

All these new stations now, instead of having 3 hoses, have one hose, with a button you press to buy 87/89/93. Now, that's a pretty big mother ******' hose coming off that pump, maybe 1" diameter; and it's pretty long too. So, here's the deal. If the last person pumped 87 into their mom's camry, and you pull up with your turbo honda, and need 93, the first gallon or two (however much that LARGE hose holds, which is definatley a significant amount- you get of whatever the last person pumped, but your PAYING for 93-- not to mention the danger this can cause you, if, lets say, your real low on gas, and your poor, and you only pump $2 worth of gas-- you probably just paid for a gallon of premium and got a gallon of 87 instead!! Now, the worst part about this **** is that the NEXT person, who rolls up after you-- gets that whole hosefull of 93 that YOU paid for when they go to pump their 87! WTF?
Johnyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:07 PM   #11
Teg4e
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Premium Gas at Exxon vs. Sheetz (Johnyquest)

that's a good point, i never thought about that. most people are buying 87 at the pump, meaning you're likely to 87 out of that thing, not 93. The exxon's have individual hoses for the different grades though. The Sunoco (which has 94) is the push button type though....

submit to reddit

Tags
87, 89, 91, 93, arlington, difference, exxon, gas, gasoline, honda, premium, quality, sheetz, shell, tech, va