Go Back   Honda-Tech > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 11-28-2003, 06:39 PM   #1
Jay J
Prince of Zamunda
1999 Lexus GS
My Garage

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Jay J
Default 1.5L Toyota SOHC toyota tercel check engine light problem

Well it's on my dad's daily freeway driver, which is a 92 Toyota Tercel. It has 175,000 miles on the original engine/tranny. It does burn some oil not that much and the fuel economy is about 45mpg. My dad had it since day 1 on my B'day in 91(DEC 23). All of a sudden while I was in the car with him after picking up a sink for the kitchen at home depot the car started to get a little raspy and shook at idle. Then a few seconds later the check engine light came on. I came home checked the plugs, service records, and wires(spark plug). Nothing is possible to be wrong. I checked the air filter and it was new. The CAT couldn't be a possibility either because the car had been smogged not a long time ago and passed with flying colors. What else can I check
Jay J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 06:40 PM   #2
Nikos
B*a*n*n*e*d
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 1.5L Toyota SOHC toyota tercel check engine light problem (neuspeed)

o2 sensor?
Nikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 06:41 PM   #3
Jay J
Prince of Zamunda
1999 Lexus GS
My Garage

Default Re: 1.5L Toyota SOHC toyota tercel check engine light problem (neuspeed)

The fluids are all topped off.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:43 PM   #4
Nikos
B*a*n*n*e*d
Garage is empty, add now

oxygen sensor
Old 11-28-2003, 06:46 PM   #5
Jay J
Prince of Zamunda
1999 Lexus GS
My Garage

Default Re: 1.5L Toyota SOHC toyota tercel check engine light problem (Nikos)

It's plugged into the cat right? How do I see if it's bad after taking it out
Old 11-28-2003, 06:52 PM   #6
Stripped Honda
RIP Old HT
Garage is empty, add now

jump the service connector and read the code ..... that will tell you everything .. if it is something on the engine i may have it i just changed a engine on another tercel and may have that part laying around ... let me know i am local ... i also have the code reader if you need help
Old 11-28-2003, 06:53 PM   #7
Nikos
B*a*n*n*e*d
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuspeed
It's plugged into the cat right? How do I see if it's bad after taking it out
Moat likely the oil leaking eventually killed it but you never know... So you need to test it. You will need a special tool to get it out.

here is sometinbg I found

Question: 1995 Toyota Tercel 4 cyl mileage: 91000. Dear Bob and Ken: My problem concerns my 1995 Toyota Tercel, 91000 miles, 4-speed manual transmission, most recent oil change was about 1800 miles ago, and no major repairs since purchasing the car at 40000 miles. I recently made a 1600-mile trip from Virginia to Colorado; I had the oil changed, fluids topped-off, and air filter replaced. Additionally, I had an emissions inspection done a few weeks before, and the results were excellent. Approximately half way through the trip and some very bumpy interstate driving in Arkansas and Oklahoma, my "Engine" light came on. I pulled over immediately to check under the engine, checked the oil level, belts, hoses, etc. and found no noticeable irregularities, except that the overflow container for the radiator fluid was empty. There was still plenty of fluid in the radiator itself, but I replaced the fluid/water mixture anyway. I noticed no odd smells or drivability difficulties, so I continued driving. I stopped overnight and the following morning, I checked my owner’s manual and it said that this light comes on due to a problem with the engine's electrical system. Being that the roads were rough, I suspected maybe a fuse had been knocked out, so I removed, inspected, then replaced all of the fuses. I started the car and the engine light was off. I continued driving, but after about 6 hours of interstate driving (70-80 mph) the light came on again. Still, I did not notice any smells, sounds, or drivability problems. I continued to drive as I was in the middle of nowhere and arrived in Colorado, still with the engine light on. I spoke with a technician about this before and his recommendation was that the oxygen sensor could be the problem. I have researched the function and possible problems of the O2 sensor and it seems like if that were the culprit, my exhaust would smell like "rotten eggs" OR produce a black smoke (depending on lean or rich mixture). Is this correct? Or could the sensor be malfunctioning WITHOUT a real problem with the mixture? What type of problems could develop with continued driving? Could there be another cause to the engine light coming on? Is there some way to check the sensor myself without having to take to a mechanic? Could the missing radiator fluid have caused something to go wrong (I have noticed no leaks in the overflow tank since)? Could the change in altitude cause something? I apologize for the length of this, but wanted to make sure to get all of the information here. Thank you in advance for your help!

Answer: You probably do have a faulty oxygen sensor. With 91000 miles on your car, it would be good practice to replace it anyway. If your problem persists, then scan the computer for fault codes. Oxygen sensors go out of range at times, but still work.

also to test the sensor you will need a voltometer

These are generic instructions for BOSCH O2 sensors

This is from Bosch information"
Test for a rich mixture as follows:
a. Disconnect the sensor lead to the control unit.
b. Run the engine at 2500 rpm
c. Artificially enrich the fuel mixture on electronic fuel injected engines by removing and plugging the vacuumn line to the fuel pressure regulator.
d. If the voltmeter rapidly reads .9 volts, then the oxyben sensor is correctly sensing a rich mixture. But, if the voltmeter responds sluggishlly, or if it stays below .9 volts, then the sensor should be replaced.
Test for a lean mixture as follows:
a. Induce a small vacuum leak.
b. If the voltmeter rapidly drops to .2 volts or below in less than a second, then the oxygen sensor is correctly measuring the lean mixture. But if the voltmeter responds sluggishly, of if it stays above .2 volts, the the sensor should be replaced.
Test dynamic performance as follows:
a. Reconnect the sensor lead.
b. Set the mixture to specification.
c. Run the engine at 1500 rpm.
d. The sensor output should fluctuate around .5 volts. If it doesn't, replace the sensor.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:00 PM   #8
Stripped Honda
RIP Old HT
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 1.5L Toyota SOHC toyota tercel check engine light problem (Nikos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos

Moat likely the oil leaking eventually killed it but you never know... So you need to test it. You will need a special tool to get it out.

here is sometinbg I found

Question: 1995 Toyota Tercel 4 cyl mileage: 91000. Dear Bob and Ken: My problem concerns my 1995 Toyota Tercel, 91000 miles, 4-speed manual transmission, most recent oil change was about 1800 miles ago, and no major repairs since purchasing the car at 40000 miles. I recently made a 1600-mile trip from Virginia to Colorado; I had the oil changed, fluids topped-off, and air filter replaced. Additionally, I had an emissions inspection done a few weeks before, and the results were excellent. Approximately half way through the trip and some very bumpy interstate driving in Arkansas and Oklahoma, my "Engine" light came on. I pulled over immediately to check under the engine, checked the oil level, belts, hoses, etc. and found no noticeable irregularities, except that the overflow container for the radiator fluid was empty. There was still plenty of fluid in the radiator itself, but I replaced the fluid/water mixture anyway. I noticed no odd smells or drivability difficulties, so I continued driving. I stopped overnight and the following morning, I checked my ownerÂ’s manual and it said that this light comes on due to a problem with the engine's electrical system. Being that the roads were rough, I suspected maybe a fuse had been knocked out, so I removed, inspected, then replaced all of the fuses. I started the car and the engine light was off. I continued driving, but after about 6 hours of interstate driving (70-80 mph) the light came on again. Still, I did not notice any smells, sounds, or drivability problems. I continued to drive as I was in the middle of nowhere and arrived in Colorado, still with the engine light on. I spoke with a technician about this before and his recommendation was that the oxygen sensor could be the problem. I have researched the function and possible problems of the O2 sensor and it seems like if that were the culprit, my exhaust would smell like "rotten eggs" OR produce a black smoke (depending on lean or rich mixture). Is this correct? Or could the sensor be malfunctioning WITHOUT a real problem with the mixture? What type of problems could develop with continued driving? Could there be another cause to the engine light coming on? Is there some way to check the sensor myself without having to take to a mechanic? Could the missing radiator fluid have caused something to go wrong (I have noticed no leaks in the overflow tank since)? Could the change in altitude cause something? I apologize for the length of this, but wanted to make sure to get all of the information here. Thank you in advance for your help!

Answer: You probably do have a faulty oxygen sensor. With 91000 miles on your car, it would be good practice to replace it anyway. If your problem persists, then scan the computer for fault codes. Oxygen sensors go out of range at times, but still work.

also to test the sensor you will need a voltometer

These are generic instructions for BOSCH O2 sensors

This is from Bosch information"
Test for a rich mixture as follows:
a. Disconnect the sensor lead to the control unit.
b. Run the engine at 2500 rpm
c. Artificially enrich the fuel mixture on electronic fuel injected engines by removing and plugging the vacuumn line to the fuel pressure regulator.
d. If the voltmeter rapidly reads .9 volts, then the oxyben sensor is correctly sensing a rich mixture. But, if the voltmeter responds sluggishlly, or if it stays below .9 volts, then the sensor should be replaced.
Test for a lean mixture as follows:
a. Induce a small vacuum leak.
b. If the voltmeter rapidly drops to .2 volts or below in less than a second, then the oxygen sensor is correctly measuring the lean mixture. But if the voltmeter responds sluggishly, of if it stays above .2 volts, the the sensor should be replaced.
Test dynamic performance as follows:
a. Reconnect the sensor lead.
b. Set the mixture to specification.
c. Run the engine at 1500 rpm.
d. The sensor output should fluctuate around .5 volts. If it doesn't, replace the sensor.

actually the o2 sensor is not a common problem with toyota's the usual problem is code 71 a egr system malfunction so i really recomend checking the code before wasting your money
Old 11-28-2003, 11:07 PM   #9
blackeg
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 1.5L Toyota SOHC toyota tercel check engine light problem (Stripped Honda)

im glad your tercel lasted 175,000 miles. mine crapped out with 139,000, but now i drive a honda Click the image to open in full size. . jump the ecu and check the code, and check for loose wires or something. im pretty sure that tercels have kinda shitty electrical systems.
blackeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 04:09 AM   #10
Jay J
Prince of Zamunda
1999 Lexus GS
My Garage

Default Re: 1.5L Toyota SOHC toyota tercel check engine light problem (blackeg)

So just plug in a OBDI code reader and then check what's the prob
Old 11-29-2003, 05:14 AM   #11
Robster Craw
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to Robster Craw Send a message via AIM to Robster Craw

it's almost always likely to be an o2 sensor or a bad wire somewhere

f'n toyota Click the image to open in full size.

i know this is stupid *puts flame suit on* but the Uhaul way of fixing a check e light is to just disconnect the battery and let the ECU reset.

FLATBLK IS A F'N FLAKER.
Robster Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 05:23 AM   #12
Jay J
Prince of Zamunda
1999 Lexus GS
My Garage

Default Re: 1.5L Toyota SOHC toyota tercel check engine light problem (404PageNotFound Yo!)

Negative terminal only right
Old 11-29-2003, 07:24 AM   #13
PatrickGSR94
Honda-Tech Member
1994 Acura Integra

iTrader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to PatrickGSR94

Well first of all, the car is actually DOHC... Toyota hasn't made a SOHC engine in probably 20 years. Click the image to open in full size. Now I used to be able to check for codes on my old 89 Camry in a similar way as it is done on OBD1 Hondas, are you sure yours isn't the same way. You should see if you can check that before doing anything else.

H-T OG member #8927 class of '02 ● Koni + GC InstallHID retrofit club
member #0001
PatrickGSR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 08:58 AM   #14
Jay J
Prince of Zamunda
1999 Lexus GS
My Garage

Default Re: 1.5L Toyota SOHC toyota tercel check engine light problem (PatrickGSR94)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Well first of all, the car is actually DOHC... Toyota hasn't made a SOHC engine in probably 20 years. Click the image to open in full size. Now I used to be able to check for codes on my old 89 Camry in a similar way as it is done on OBD1 Hondas, are you sure yours isn't the same way. You should see if you can check that before doing anything else.
It's acutually a 12valve SOHC a 3e I have pics it says SOHC on the sticker too.... BTW toyota put in SOHC's in their pickups (4cyl) from 95-80. This engine is very comparable to the one's on the HF (D15) but with a bit more power.

submit to reddit

Tags
175000, 1995, 91, 95, check, driving, engine, fuel, immediately, leaks, light, miles, pressure, regulator, rough, tercel, vacum