Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Is an Yamaha R6 a good beginner bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is an Yamaha R6 a good beginner bike?

Is an Yamaha R6 a good beginner bike?
Old 09-25-2003, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Is an Yamaha R6 a good beginner bike? (aznfab)

I strongly suggest that you take an MSF course first before deciding on which beginner bike will best suit you. People will always have mixed feelings on which bike is good for a beginner. Only you can make that decision(depending on how fast you can pick up things). Learn the fundamentals first before venturing off in to the open roads. It's only as fast as your right wrist allows it to be.

Four rules to the riding enjoyment: 1)respect the bike 2) no your limits 3)look where you're going 4)Have faith
Old 09-25-2003, 06:27 AM

Great starter bike. It was my starter bike, but like todacspec says, take the riding course first. Great place to learn, they will teach you a lot.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:56 AM

I started on a GSXR750, bad idea. Got a Ninja 250R, and I thought that was the perfect starter bike. It doesn't have any power, but I could go into the canyons with all my 600cc+ friends and stay with them. Now I got an R6, and I'm not really sure if it's a good beginner bike. It's easy to do stupid stuff with it like wheelies and stoppies.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (red02r6)

The R6 was my first bike but I agree with Frito, highly suggest you take the CC Rider course first because will help you out a lot in the streets
Old 09-25-2003, 04:05 PM

Default Re: (big pete)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by big pete &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The R6 was my first bike but I agree with Frito, highly suggest you take the CC Rider course first because will help you out a lot in the streets</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-25-2003, 04:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznfab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is an Yamaha R6 a good beginner bike?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is a Viper a good car to learn to drive on?

Just because it's only a 600 doesn't make it any less dangerous.

MSF course first

Used bike that you're going to drop

GEAR GEAR GEAR GEAR GEAR GEAR GEAR

Did I mention <U>GEAR?????</U>
Old 09-25-2003, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznfab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is an Yamaha R6 a good beginner bike?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. I don't understand what all these other responses are doing here. No a Yamaha yzf R6 is not a good beginner bike. Some may be able to make do with it but then again some people half *** everything
Old 09-26-2003, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is an Yamaha R6 a good beginner bike? (tonydatyga)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonydatyga &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No. I don't understand what all these other responses are doing here. No a Yamaha yzf R6 is not a good beginner bike. Some may be able to make do with it but then again some people half *** everything</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly, it is not a bike you should start on. trust me, if you haven't ridden before get something more forgiving. they aren't for beginners.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I say no. They are a bit "twitchy" and unforgiving in my opinion. Go get something a little easier to ride, and after a year you will be a lot more prepared for the R6!
Old 09-27-2003, 04:27 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is an Yamaha R6 a good beginner bike? (LoudLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LoudLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I say no. They are a bit "twitchy" and unforgiving in my opinion. Go get something a little easier to ride, and after a year you will be a lot more prepared for the R6! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Going way off-topic here, but what do you mean by twitchy? I've only had a chance to ride an R6 around a parking lot and didn't really get to see what the twitchiness is about. I'm looking for a bike myself and was reading nothing but great reviews about the R6. Great all around bike. And most importantly it's lightweight and small enough for me. I took my buddies new '03 Honda 600RR out the other night... Soooo silky, soooo smooth...very, very stable.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Default Re: Is an Yamaha R6 a good beginner bike? (len)

I think he was talking about the throttle response. A lot of people that are new to riding get themselfs into trouble by giving what they feel is a little throttle while in a turn, and infact that small twist gives them lots of power. Now if you put yourself on Ninja 250 it's almost impossible to give it too much gas
Old 09-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Oracle of GDD

Default Re: Is an Yamaha R6 a good beginner bike? (len)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by len &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've only had a chance to ride an R6 around a parking lot and didn't really get to see what the twitchiness is about. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You've already answered your own question.

I'm a total novice, but I will say the R6 would be a bad beginner bike.

I learned on a 125cc standard, and I was still intimidated at first. Enough torque to pull a wheelie, and I went down hard. Do you really want to bring down your new R6?

Get an underpowered bike that you can muscle around and learn the limits of. Then migrate to more power if you want.