Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Owning an R worth the hassle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 09:28 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Willard)

what hassle? i drive this car like i drove my other previous cars (except of course much slower at corners ), if it did get stolen, then it would be some sorta sign to move on.
i don't love the car, but i love driving it.

but i hope this doesn't jynx it!

Old 08-07-2003, 09:45 AM
New User

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (zk11)

Yes its worth it
Old 08-07-2003, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Daly)

Worth it to drive? yes.
Worth it to daily drive? no.
Worth it to own? if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

I don't think STi is any safer to own than an R. Give it another year before STi gets on the theft list.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:06 AM

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (H-PIMP)

i had to pick cobra, out of those choices, its the one i'd pick. although i'd turn right around and sell it and buy a real car.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:11 AM
.RJ

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Spoon1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoon1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i seen the STI go as $35k and not a lot of options of what color you wanted it unless is pre- order since they dont stock the car . an if they do is mainly one </TD></TR></TABLE>

They can be had for sticker, $30,900. Just need to shop around.

The WRX isnt on the theft hit-list after two years. I wouldnt worry much about the STi at all.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Cosworth)

If you are just really carfull about it, it won't be a problem. Get a good alarm system and a club, park it in a garage at night. Don't take it to malls or unfamiler areas. I've had mine for a little more than a year and it does stand out. Even if it wasn't an R it would be a target. I never take it to an unfamilar area. I rarley take it to a mall, never at night. I usually am never out of eyesight from my car. When I eat at a restaurant I make sure I can see it. I can see it all day at work. I can see it when I am getting my hair cut even. I was only extremely paranoid the first couple months I had it. Now its just routine, like breathing. I don't think about it, I just do it automatically. If you can bring yourself to do this kind of stuff, then it is deffinatly worth it. A friend of mine has had his 97 since 97 and it is done up in a big way and the only thing he's ever had is someone keying it a little on the drivers door. He used to drive it everywhere.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:48 AM

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (DOSPOWND)

I just bought a 10lb locking wheel boot that I clamp on my car's wheel in addition to the club and auto-lock. Its about dealing with the hassle like its second nature and being smart like not parking the car anywhere for an extended amount of time (&gt;30 minutes). I think anyone with an R should have atleast a locking wheel boot. The only way they are taking your car is if if they jack it up, defeat your wheel locks, and switch wheels, and then defeat your clutch lock, then finally drive away.

When you do park your car, park it in such a way as it would be impossible for a tow truck to squeeze in or get in the proper position to tow it.

I plan to have my R forever. It takes me 1 minute to secure it every time I get out, I search for good parking spots that are inaccessible by tow trucks, and I only drive the car for fun, and I based my apartment choice on the whether the complex had a secured gated entry or not.

Aamir
Old 08-07-2003, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (AamirCWITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AamirCWITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just bought a 10lb locking wheel boot that I clamp on my car's wheel </TD></TR></TABLE>
Where did you get it from?
Old 08-07-2003, 12:00 PM

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (SMZ GSR)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi...07846

Old 08-07-2003, 12:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-PIMP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My point exactly!

Why not get an STI that gives you damn near Turbo Porsche performance, for not much more that the price of an ITR? And nowhere near the theft hassles...</TD></TR></TABLE>

just wait till base impreza owners want "STi" crap for there cars, just like civic owners wanted the "type-r" crap for there cars
Old 08-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is totally worth it IMO..

The feeling from going to absolute paranoia (while sprinting through the parking lot to make sure it is safe) , to a **** eating grin on your face (after driving..) IS priceless.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I want one... but i refuse to own a car thats only safe in my own neighborhood and I cant drive further than the grocery store. If you cant enjoy it, there's no point in owning it. My mind may change depending on where I end up working, i.e. if i'm working where the parking lot is covered by big guys with guns, i might buy one.

RJ - looking for a cheap hatch or miata for track duty</TD></TR></TABLE>

come work where I am
Old 08-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I drive the hell out of mine and will as long as I own it. I won't get another one though. The car is great, the people are great, but using it as a daily driver is too much to handle sometimes. On the plus side, I don't let it stop me from doing anything. Even if you have the car, but you still don't drive it, the thieves have won.

Modified by SoCal ITR at 1:52 PM 8/7/2003
Old 08-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (SoCal ITR)

i agree with SoCal ITR, i drive mine hard everyday and enjoy it while i can. I've had mine for over 2 years and I think it is worth the "hassle." It's an awesome daily driver, just have to be careful where you park it.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (TypeR 599)

I wonder if STi's are as easy to swipe as Hondas. That may be a deciding factor, along with the fact that an STi engine swap may not be as simple as a B18C swap, what with the different differentials, transmission, etc. But who knows? As for the EVO...that seems safe. Convert a Lancer Rally Edition to EVO status? I don't think so...
Old 08-07-2003, 01:06 PM
.RJ

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (DOSPOWND)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOSPOWND &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't take it to malls or unfamiler areas. I've had mine for a little more than a year and it does stand out. Even if it wasn't an R it would be a target. I never take it to an unfamilar area. I rarley take it to a mall, never at night. I usually am never out of eyesight from my car. When I eat at a restaurant I make sure I can see it. I can see it all day at work. I can see it when I am getting my hair cut even. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is exactly what defines "not worth it" for me.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:07 PM
.RJ

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (sscguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sscguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wonder if STi's are as easy to swipe as Hondas</TD></TR></TABLE>

The market just isnt there, from what i've seen. There arent that many base model subarus sold to enthusiasts... and not many wrx's sold.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

garaging the r is really the way to go (if you can do it). i have made sure that in the last 4 places I've lived each one had a garage (yes, thats 4 places in two years ). ..I actually include the garage fee into my rent (own one house still) and make sure I can do both. I would never get an apartment/house without considering it first!
Old 08-07-2003, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know how you feel. I drive my R everyday and there's not a minute that doesn't go by that I hope it's still where I parked it. The paranoia is a pain in the *** and trying to explain to friends that have no clue what the value of an R is, is even more of a pain.

but there's so much fun and joy w/ the R when taking it to the level of what it's made for...on the track..sigh
Old 08-07-2003, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (R1366)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R1366 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
but there's so much fun and joy w/ the R when taking it to the level of what it's made for...on the track..sigh </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, the car is extremely capable in stock form. I wish I could join you guys in some HPDE's sometime soon.

I'm really impressed how so many faithful R owners feel about their cars. And to be honest I'd love to keep my car, but I'm not exactly sure if its worth keeping.

I mean, it's not a track *****. It's a garage queen, and because I've presereved it for so many years I wanna keep it that way. But circumstances dont really let me enjoy the car as much as I would like to. I mean this is my 2nd R, my first one a 98 I put 33K HARD miles on in 12 months and then turned around and got what I paid for it. Not to mention all the fun I've had owning 4 hybrids in the past. So maybe I am ready to step into an STI/EVO or maybe a Cobra. Because the bottom line is, that to me it's really all about the speed.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-PIMP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, the car is extremely capable in stock form. I wish I could join you guys in some HPDE's sometime soon.

I'm really impressed how so many faithful R owners feel about their cars. And to be honest I'd love to keep my car, but I'm not exactly sure if its worth keeping.

I mean, it's not a track *****. It's a garage queen, and because I've presereved it for so many years I wanna keep it that way. But circumstances dont really let me enjoy the car as much as I would like to. I mean this is my 2nd R, my first one a 98 I put 33K HARD miles on in 12 months and then turned around and got what I paid for it. Not to mention all the fun I've had owning 4 hybrids in the past. So maybe I am ready to step into an STI/EVO or maybe a Cobra. Because the bottom line is, that to me it's really all about the speed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I couldn't agree with you more. I've have my R since day one and I'm just becoming more and more paranoid about leaving it anywhere. Even though it's a fun ride and a very capable car on the track, there are lots of other cars out there that perform just as well on the track, while being just as much fun. It's just the thought of parting with something that I've loved so much for so many years, is what's keeping me from selling it right now.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cosworth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't think STi is any safer to own than an R. Give it another year before STi gets on the theft list. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I disagree completely.

Go STi and don't look back. I wished I could've held out and saved for the STi myself. I loved my ITR and I do miss it...but I don't miss the paranoia and hype of owning one. I got tired of worrying about my $25k car like it was a Ferrari or some ****.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Yellow Dragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Yellow Dragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I disagree completely.

Go STi and don't look back. I wished I could've held out and saved for the STi myself. I loved my ITR and I do miss it...but I don't miss the paranoia and hype of owning one. I got tired of worrying about my $25k car like it was a Ferrari or some ****. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, the thought of a crispy new STI in GANGSTA EDITION BLACK with the gold BBS's would heal the wound of missing my R quite nicely. I mean after all, 0-60 in 4 seconds, 13 flat 1/4, 150+ top speed and the brakes & chassis to back it is pretty damn nice for thirty grand.

As great as the ITR is, it's no longer the yardstick by which sport compacts are measured by. I think lots of people fail to realize how brutally fast and capable the STI & EVO really are. It's bang for the buck like nothing we've ever seen before with Japanese sports cars.

An STI is a boost controller and hi-flo air filter away from the 12's the second you drive it off the lot. Thats pretty f*cking sick if you ask me. The Cobra although in a different category altogether is probably the king of speed under $50K with the EVO & STI trailing a close 2nd and 3rd respectively.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:33 PM

I wonder how many 4 second launches that tranny is good for though....
Old 08-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Rob :190:)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rob :190: &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wonder how many 4 second launches that tranny is good for though....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably a whole bunch. STI's are indestructible, a bit more burly than the evo. Subaru didn't skimp on the STI driveline.

Quick Reply: Owning an R worth the hassle?