Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Intermittent starting issue...

Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent starting issue...

Yes I have done my research!! Lol.
So I have been having an issue with my car starting ever once in a while. (2-3 times a week) it just clicks without cranking over. But if I "bump" the starter by putting it in gear, rolling the car slightly and dropping the clutch the car starts right up under the power of the starter. I have replace the main ground to the transmission, the valve cover ground, the battery cables, cleaned all electrical connections and thermostat ground. I Replaced the starter and tried a couple different main relays. I'm getting the signal to the start wire every time, but sometimes it just clicks till I "bump" it... Any other input would be greatly appreciated. My car is already ugly, I don't want to look like even more of a loser having to put my foot out the car to make it fire up...
Old 07-28-2014, 02:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you put a new starter in ? If it starts when push started and you always get battery power on the small wire that connects to the starter solenoid when you turn the key to the start position the issue must be the starter.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intermittent starting issue...

New starter, old one did the exact same thing. I don't have to push start it to get it to start. I hold the key in the start position roll the car a little and let off the clutch. This causes the starter to turn because it's engaged into the flywheel. Once u brake the starter free it starts the car all on its own.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I am about to run this damn thing off a cliff!! I replaced the battery cables, all grounds, put a new connector onto the thermostat ground and still no starting. The solenoid kicks out but the starter wont turn!! I can still bump the car to get it started ( not push starting it, just bump the flywheel while the key is in the start position and the starter turns and starts the car). I even tried to just bump the engine thinking it was the flywheel but it still wont start unless I hold the key in the start position while I bump the car. PLEASE HELP THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS
Old 08-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

clean all battery terminals. makes sure its tight as well. also wont hurt to get the battery checked at autozone for free.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
and you always get battery power on the small wire that connects to the starter solenoid when you turn the key to the start position
Old 08-16-2014, 06:27 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts

Sounds like an old weak battery to me. Doesn't have the Cold Cranking Amps it used to so as to be able to crank the motor.

Another thought is possibly the Neutral Safety Switch on your clutch pedal is slightly out of adjustment (carpet has compressed over time throwing the depth off). When it doesn't start, try turning the key to the on position, hold it and then depress the clutch so it travels through the sweet spot on the switch. If that works then it's the switch out of adjustment.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will have the battery checked out, but even with a jump start it won't work. And once the starter is "broke loose" it turns the car over without hesitation. Also the neutral safety switch has been disabled and u don't need to push the clutch to make it start. And the solenoid always kicks out so I'm pretty sure the relays and switches are all working correctly.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I think I got it! The starter was getting the signal from the start relay, but the relay couldn't provide enough current to push the solenoid all the way out. I took apart the starter relay and cleaned all the contacts and whala!! The car starts every time without hesitation. Thanks for all the help!!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Honestly, I find it hard to believe that "cleaning the contacts" fixed the relay, thereby fixing your issue. I don't mean that in a bad way.

It's likely your ignition switch is bad, but if it is indeed fixed that's good to hear. If the issue comes back, feel free to update us.