Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

FAQ: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (56k Goodbye)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an old thread, but I thought I would give my input on the head swap. There is an oil jet between #2 and #3 pistons that does need to be removed due to the fact that the jet is located in the head on the VTEC motors. Also when I did the head swap on my friend's d15b7, I noticed the connecting pipe from the water pump to the thermostat on the d15b7 has two outlets and the d16z6 has one and is routed differently. What needs to be done is the extra plug on the d15 needs plugged off and to route the coolant lines like the d16z6 has them.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-31-2003, 12:49 AM
Trial User

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (BauleyCivic)

hot **** buddy! keep up the good werk!
Old 07-31-2003, 09:52 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (toyzbus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toyzbus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is an old thread, but I thought I would give my input on the head swap. There is an oil jet between #2 and #3 pistons that does need to be removed due to the fact that the jet is located in the head on the VTEC motors. Also when I did the head swap on my friend's d15b7, I noticed the connecting pipe from the water pump to the thermostat on the d15b7 has two outlets and the d16z6 has one and is routed differently. What needs to be done is the extra plug on the d15 needs plugged off and to route the coolant lines like the d16z6 has them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is the oil jet they talk about-

this is a picture of my car with the head off-

i don't see the oil jey or anywhere that it could be...i don't remember doing anything with an oil jet when i did my mini-me, so who knows...
Old 08-06-2003, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

I may end up going the mini me route, I am getting a bit restless waiting to piece together and build the z6 block. That crappy d15 is starting to annoy me.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good write up.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:46 PM

1.6 is d16 and d15 is 1.5 is that right? I think MY del sol is 1.5 since is a type S del sol. How can I find out how much my car weights?
Old 08-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Risky Business

Default Re: (1.5 Del slow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1.5 Del slow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.6 is d16 and d15 is 1.5 is that right? I think MY del sol is 1.5 since is a type S del sol. How can I find out how much my car weights?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well each character in an engine code has a meaning

IE d16z6

D = D-series
16 = 1.6 liters
z6 = Head Type

Look in your engine bay on your block stamp...you have a D15B7 which means you have a 1.5 Liter D series with a B7 head. To check your cars weight go to http://www.edmunds.com . They have every specification on every car made in the last 15 years.

So...to save you some time...

1995 Honda Civic del Sol
2 Dr S Coupe
Curb Weight: 2295 lbs
Old 08-31-2003, 05:52 PM

I SHALL CALL HIM....MINI-ME....

Might as well get the whole block as stated as before...
Old 09-01-2003, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are u at all considering adding a z6 crank to bump it up to a 1.6ltr? ive hear that throwing in the d16z6 crank will jump it to a 1.6ltr which would help with the torq and especialy later on down the road if u turbo it.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:28 AM
Risky Business

Default Re: (bmcc72)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SignNameHere &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I SHALL CALL HIM....MINI-ME....

Might as well get the whole block as stated as before...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah real smart...because the whole point of a mini-me is to take advantage of the flat top d15b7 pistons and the reduced piston to deck height...therefore bumping compression...just swapping in a d16z6 would totally defeat this purpose...the reason the d16z6 is quicker (in theory) than the mini-me is because of its shorter gearing

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmcc72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are u at all considering adding a z6 crank to bump it up to a 1.6ltr? ive hear that throwing in the d16z6 crank will jump it to a 1.6ltr which would help with the torq and especialy later on down the road if u turbo it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

possibly...if I did anything I would just buy a d16 block and build it with p29 pistons and stronger rods. For now, I dont really have the budget for anything major, i'm thinkin about an Exospeed Street SV cam for 200 bucks and then down the road a SRR 4.7 Final Drive (the transmission is what is really killing the power on this car...my 2nd ends at 70)
Old 09-01-2003, 09:34 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (bmcc72)

1.6L crank won't fit into a 1.5L block.

1.6L crank has 55 mm main journals
1.5L crank has 45 mm main journals
Old 09-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (Sucka Free)

Old 09-01-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah real smart...because the whole point of a mini-me is to take advantage of the flat top d15b7 pistons and the reduced piston to deck height...therefore bumping compression...just swapping in a d16z6 would totally defeat this purpose...the reason the d16z6 is quicker (in theory) than the mini-me is because of its shorter gearing

possibly...if I did anything I would just buy a d16 block and build it with p29 pistons and stronger rods. For now, I dont really have the budget for anything major, i'm thinkin about an Exospeed Street SV cam for 200 bucks and then down the road a SRR 4.7 Final Drive (the transmission is what is really killing the power on this car...my 2nd ends at 70)</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you got a slightly higher comp ratio then a stock D16Z6. Should be enough to add about 4hp if your lucky. Now, not only did it cost a lot, but you are still left with a 1.5l engine and will most likely make less then a D16Z6 does in the first place. I am sure the blocks are not identical and that the Z6 shares many structual design improvments to help it last under the additional stress... You know you can buy complete Z6 longblocks for almost nothing right? In fact, I just sold mine to a friend for $150. It had 60k miles on it and ran fine when it was pulled. I wasn't looking for top dollar, just needed to move it. If you look, deals are out there. In my opinion, "mini-me" swaps are a waste of time.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:09 PM
Risky Business

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So you got a slightly higher comp ratio then a stock D16Z6. Should be enough to add about 4hp if your lucky. Now, not only did it cost a lot, but you are still left with a 1.5l engine and will most likely make less then a D16Z6 does in the first place. I am sure the blocks are not identical and that the Z6 shares many structual design improvments to help it last under the additional stress... You know you can buy complete Z6 longblocks for almost nothing right? In fact, I just sold mine to a friend for $150. It had 60k miles on it and ran fine when it was pulled. I wasn't looking for top dollar, just needed to move it. If you look, deals are out there. In my opinion, "mini-me" swaps are a waste of time.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow...what an informative post dipshit. I guess you didnt read half of my original post. If you say you can get "d16z6 longblocks for $150," then I should have been able to find a d16z6 head for less than $100 right? Now heres the funny part, a d16z6 longblock with a **** DX transmission would be completely equal to or slower than the setup I have now, which would make buying the whole longblock a complete waste of time and money. Now, with what I did, not only was I able to bump the compression up and add a few horses, but I was able to replace my timing belt, water pump, head gasket, distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, plugs, and other **** for around the same price as a complete d16z6 swap. And if I felt like making my car significantly faster than a stock Z6, i could just find a z6 tranny for $150 and throw that in. However, I recently had to rip apart my transmission for a bad bearing...which is a common failure in D-series trannies, and i'm going to keep the one I have because I dont feel like replacing the same bearing in another transmission. A SRR 4.7 final drive will do nicely in my car, putting my tranny close to the ratios in DOHC VTEC B-series motors.

So no, mini-me's are not a "waste of time."
Old 09-01-2003, 02:43 PM
2.7(p/t)

BauleyCivic is really right Hybrid93Eg, you also have to consider that he did a full 150,000 mile check up also...and it was a whole lot easier than a swap in my opinion. (didnt have to take anything out above the head!)

dustin ownz j00

-sander
Old 09-01-2003, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jazzyfoo)

some people can just swap an engine when they feel like it also. look at the mini-me as an alternative to an engine swap. when everyone is swappin for dual cams i think its fun to be different and stick with the 1.5 to make some power. GO D15
Old 09-01-2003, 05:45 PM

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (Sucka Free)

I plan on doing the same head swap as you into my car, I hear with the z6 tranny the power can be really felt.

hey civic dx your car looks exactly like mine, PM me a pic of it, I want to see it :-p

D15 POWA

Modified by Jeice at 8:24 PM 9/1/2003
Old 09-07-2003, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (Jeice)

we did a mini me and the z6 timing belt is the way to go. We ghetto fied it by using b7 wires and a b7 distributor!
Old 09-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Risky Business

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (EF9_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF9_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we did a mini me and the z6 timing belt is the way to go. We ghetto fied it by using b7 wires and a b7 distributor!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used the B7 wires at first...they fit, but dont fit well at all. I could tell because the Z6 ones clicked right in and the B7 ones had to be stuffed in and I couldnt even hear a click.

B7 Wires:

Z6 Wires (Much smaller in diameter):

I didn't know that you could use a b7 distributor. I read that the key to the cam doesnt line up or something like that...I know the ignition coils are interchangable because I used my B7 one in the Z6.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I used the B7 wires at first...they fit, but dont fit well at all. I could tell because the Z6 ones clicked right in and the B7 ones had to be stuffed in and I couldnt even hear a click.

I didn't know that you could use a b7 distributor. I read that the key to the cam doesnt line up or something like that...I know the ignition coils are interchangable because I used my B7 one in the Z6.</TD></TR></TABLE>With the b7 wires you have to trim the inside of the grommet. Also, with the B7 dist, it lines up on the cam just not out side on the brackets. I know to get the top bolt to go in you have to widen the opening in the dist. Im not sure how he got the other to fit. I will post pics when I get up there again.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sweet write up man! I love D's
Old 09-07-2003, 07:04 PM

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (SOHC_MShue)

this is what i want to do, when i get my next car! haha
Old 09-10-2003, 07:27 AM

good write up and thanks for the updates too, very helpful..
Old 09-10-2003, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AnotherGSR)

Nice catch Blanco Niņo, too bad you got saaaaaaaaaaaaaaacked.

JK, excellent writeup. Good info.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:47 AM

does anyone know if this swap is worth doing on a VX? will i gain anything? thanks

Quick Reply: FAQ: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (56k Goodbye)