Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Help with timing belt.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with timing belt.

Okay I have a few questions first what will happen if the timing belt goes while driving in my H23A1? Will it destroy my whole engine or just the head? Anyway to tell if its going bad? Is there an easy way to get the cover off so I can inspect the belt? I tried to get the cover off before but it seemed like a process.

The reason im worried is its been at least 50,000 miles since the belt was changed and the serpentine belt and other belts look like they have seen better days (starting to dry rot and crack) so that makes me think the timing belt might look similar. And what else would you recommend gets replaced when i do the timing belt? Water pump maybe?
Old 11-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with timing belt.

You need to remove the valve cover or timing covers to view the belt. Easier for the valve cover. Just pull plugs and a couple nuts and its off.

If you are are unsure of the condition or did not change it yourself then its best to replace it.

When in there its best to change out the water pump and tensioner pulley. You can generally get kits for this from the parts stores.

When I do the T-belt I always replace valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube gaskets seeing as you pull the valve cover off at the same time.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I suggest you buy valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, cam seals, cam cap, distributor seals, front main seal, balance shaft seal, balance shaft seal retainer (tsb part, you need the part number-google it or look on here,) all from Honda. You can get away with non Honda timing belt and waterpump.

If belts are worn, take a good look at your coolant hoses and water pipe that runs at the backside of the block. It corrodes on the ends. There are a bunch of smaller ones that go around the thermostat housing and surrounding area. Take my word for it, if you loosen a 20+ year old rubber hose and put it back, it will crack at the end where the clamp goes on, from the twisting motion it takes to get it off. Just buy new ones if you plan to loosen any. Some you will have to buy from Honda, as they are pre-molded, some auto stores may have pre molded hoses close to what's needed. The little ones with slight bends can just be cut from a roll. I am speaking from experience. Changing a coolant hose in the middle of winter is no fun.

Check valve lash while you have the cover off.

Gl
Old 11-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

#06923-P0A-306

Change the pcv valve too.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quit playing around and just change the timing belt, it has become easier for the average daily enthusiast to do, and with friends who have access to tools and such you can get that done in about 2-3 hrs as long as things go right.

Once you snap that belt, its a head rebuild.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:45 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

timing belt replacement interval is 90k miles. it is not uncommon for the v-belts to look bad as they are exposed to the open air and everything, plus they usually are driving accessories that spin faster than the engine without teeth to to assist. I would say that I replace the accessory belts 1-2 times between timing belt changes.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Every 100k kilometers you change a timing belt, not 90k miles. That equals almost 145k kilometers which is far passed the limit.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1funryd
Quit playing around and just change the timing belt, it has become easier for the average daily enthusiast to do, and with friends who have access to tools and such you can get that done in about 2-3 hrs as long as things go right.

Once you snap that belt, its a head rebuild.
I know right what is the big deal here? If ya gotta ask if u should change ur belt, u prolly should. Lol

Save yourself some time and have a shop crack the crank bolt loose, then retorque it to 120 ft lbs or so. Drive home slowly, and the hardest part will be pretty much done already with the quick yank of a 19mm 1/2" socket and cheater bar.