Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement

Old 04-13-2003, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement

How To: Replace Valves, Valve Springs, and Retainers

First Off I would like to say how great Skunk2’s customer service is. I received my set of titanium retainers with two missing. I called up Skunk2 immediately and had the problem resolved right then and there. He didn’t even give me a hard time, he just sent me out two retainers over night and I had them by 9:45am the next morning

Parts used:

Skunk2 High Compression Stock size Valves
Skunk2 Dual Valve Springs
Skunk2 Titanium Retainers

Tools Used:

Snap-On Universal Valve Spring Compressor

Extendable Pen-Magnet
Masking Tape
Needle Nose Pliers

Here is a Top and Bottom View of a stock B18C cylinder head:

Step 1:

Mount Snap-On Valve Spring Compressor as shown below (pictured with half of new parts already installed)

Step 2:

Position the handle of the snap-on compressor so that the groove is under the bar and place the extendable pen-magnet inside of the compressor. I found it easiest to use this setup with the compressor, all though you can adjust the positioning of each component to your needs. Once you have found your desired setting you can begin to press down on the top of the valve retainer as shown. Make sure you have that pen-magnet over top of the retainer clips or else they might go flying around your garage and you will lose them….

Step 3:

In my case, this step is basically observing the damage I caused while drag racing at Englishtown Raceway on 3/29. I bent 3 of the exhaust valves as you can see.

Here are the new and old components side by side. In case you were wondering, stock JDM B18C (not sure about other motors) intake valves use dual valve springs.

Here is what your head should look like once you have removed all the old stuff.

Step 4:

This is where it gets tricky…putting in the new stuff. I can tell you right now that those retainer clips (if you managed not to lose any) are a pain in the *** to install. After trying several methods, Dustin (BauleyCivic) and I found it easiest to assemble the spring, retainer, and retainer clips on the floor and then place 3-4 strips of masking tape over top to prevent the clips from coming out while compressing the spring. Also, to prevent the valves from falling out while doing this, place a bunched-up towel underneath the valves that you are working on at the time. The force of you pushing down on the spring compressor plus the towel under the valves will keep the valve in place and only the valve spring will compress, making it even easier to get the clips to go into place.

Step 5:

Woo Hoo!! You’re all done!! Now go have a beer and enjoy your new stuff!
(pictured halfway through install)

Thanks to:

BauleyCivic for lending me a hand (Look at his dumbass….I am trusting him with my head!)

JDMHondaParts.com for selling me the stuff
Skunk2 Racing for making it and for having A+ Customer Service

If I left anything out or if you are confused PM me and I will try and help you out.

Last edited by smnowell; 01-12-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:35 PM

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (b16a ferio)

Nice write up but some of the pics aren't working. This one is going in the notepad.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (Nine)

Dont forget to "shock" your retainers with an appropriate tool (socket and hammer if push comes to shove) to fully seat the keys.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (tonyXcom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dont forget to "shock" your retainers with an appropriate tool (socket and hammer if push comes to shove) to fully seat the keys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, forgot to mention that...but you are right
Old 04-14-2003, 12:08 AM

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (b16a ferio)

How much is the snap on valve spring compressor?
Old 04-14-2003, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (vivid02)

I believe the Snap-on valve spring compressor is around $120 from Snap-on. I borrowed my friends, so it cost me $0
Old 04-14-2003, 05:46 AM

nice write-up, i just installed some crower titanium retainers and valve springs using the same tool, except i had to do it by myself, having two people would have been nice. I think i yelled at the keys a little too much when they wouldn't go in. I didn't use your tape method, I just compressed the spring and placed the key in and would work it around to the other side with my finger then put the other key in the open hole, but im sure as you know, the valve would sometimes fall a little bit or the spring would bend in a way where you could only get one key in.....but looks good, gluck with it.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (DarkSubRosa)

nice how-to and great pics! thanks
Old 04-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (DarkSubRosa)

A good way to prevent the valves from falling back out is to stick a bunched-up towel under the valves you are currently working on. This way when you push down on the compressor, the weight of the head plus your force pushing down will push the valve into the bunched up towel and the valve won't drop
Old 04-14-2003, 06:08 AM

good TECH right up. we need more of these in this forum. This would also be a good time to replace the valve stem seals!
Old 04-14-2003, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Those retainer clips are called keepers, just so you know. I think the Haynes manual shows putting a small dab of grease on them to help facilitate installation onto the valves.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (PatrickGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those retainer clips are called keepers, just so you know. I think the Haynes manual shows putting a small dab of grease on them to help facilitate installation onto the valves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I know they are called keepers, but I call them retainer clips just to make it easier and more understandable for people. And as far as that grease method, my friend had mentioned using some silicone RTV sealant, but i just used my method with the tape and it worked fine
Old 04-14-2003, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I did my valve seals a week ago I just placed the keepers around the valve and then compressed the spring and they fell right into place.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:32 AM

What kind of valve job did you go with? I wouldn't use RTV silicone.......................use lithium grease.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (PatrickGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those retainer clips are called keepers, just so you know. I think the Haynes manual shows putting a small dab of grease on them to help facilitate installation onto the valves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some sticky grease works well for me. The tape method may be interesting to try next time. Good write up
Old 04-14-2003, 10:22 AM

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (SLPR)

I just use my finger to keep the keepers in place as the valve stem comes through.

Of course, when I take valves out I do it on a bench with a neumatic spring compressor
Old 04-14-2003, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (SLPR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLPR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some sticky grease works well for me. The tape method may be interesting to try next time. Good write up </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep
Old 04-14-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (tonyXcom)

I have a homemade valve spring compressor. Its pretty cool and it cost me absolutely nothing.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (EF9_SiR)

Correct me if i'm wrong but.....Shoulden't you lap new valves in a used head? How do you know the sealing surface of the valve and the head are touching all the way around? It could cause a couple of problems that i can think of; first - bad compression, second - valve cooling problems, one of the ways the valve cools is by transfering heat to the head via the sealing surface. If it does not make good contact the valves could burn. I hope you lapped those babies. peace
Old 05-14-2003, 08:37 PM
2.7(p/t)

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (EF9_SiR)

GOOD lord, look at that garage floor!, its soo clean!
and that cool integra in the backround of the last pic!

sike good write up fool.
-sander
Old 05-14-2003, 08:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (jazzyfoo)

good write up....now do it while the head is on the block and in the car....yes it can be done and i have done it before!! tons easier when head is off the block...but doable when on....just harder
Old 05-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (chad)

how can you replace the valves when the head is on the block in the car

springs and retainers maybe, but not valves
Old 05-14-2003, 09:34 PM

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (BauleyCivic)

Good write-up, especially since I have a whole valvetrain, cams, cam gears, and skunk2 IM sitting in my room waiting to be installed in my 94 B18C.

For the people who cannot afford the Snap-On valve spring compressor, here is a similar tool at a cheaper price: Valve spring compressor

For all the people who have installed springs and retainers while the head is still on the car, what method did you use to keep the valves from falling in? I have heard that I can used compressed air, but I am not sure what max PSI to pump into the cylinder.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:37 PM

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (93SSPHatch)

Vaseline for the valve keepers...
Old 05-14-2003, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement (Nameless EJ6)

great tech!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW-TO: DOHC VTEC Valve, Valve Spring, and Retainer Replacement