Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Tech/Misc
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 03-24-2003, 05:00 AM   #1
Dc5-Power
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default What is the normal price to have a catalytic converter welded on?

I don't really trust some of these people who work at muffler shops. It seems like they are constantly trying to rip people off when they get the chance. About how much would it cost to have one welded onto my straight-pipe? Thanks.
Dc5-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:53 AM   #2
Nameless RB26
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: What is the normal price to have a catalytic converter welded on? (kimchee_power)

I think you might have a hard time finding a shop to do that because it's illegal to modify/alter emission system parts.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:00 AM   #3
LS-hatch
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: What is the normal price to have a catalytic converter welded on? (Nameless)

Are you welding on an aftermarket or a stock one? If its another stock one or one with a carb sticker, I dont see why they wouldnt do it.

I am so smart, I am so smart, S-M-R-T...I mean S-M-A-R-T.

Und Keine Eier

WTB: (1) passenger side clear corner for a 92-95 civic 2 or 3 door (stock style not euro)
LS-hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:30 AM   #4
mikikanazawa
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: What is the normal price to have a catalytic converter welded on? (kimchee_power)

From a functional standpoint, the catalyst must be mounted as close to the exhaust ports as possible for it to stay within operating temp.

Cars w/ close-mounted cats will pass emissions checks more easily because they'll stay hot after the car is shut off.

Don't know about other states, but it's illegal to replace a stock catalytic unless the original has been "damaged" or "stolen." Strictly legally speaking, it's illegal to remove a catalytic from a car even if it's for export, without prior permission from the EPA.
mikikanazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:11 AM   #5
Sh4d
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Sh4d

Go to any "lower class" muffler shop thats not run by a bigger company and they most likely will do anything you want. As long as they don't put a flange on it should only be like $10. If you want a flange welded on so you can take it on and off, it will be around $30.

random quote "owning a honda and being "OG" is an oxymoron"
Sh4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 01:00 PM   #6
slowdx
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to slowdx
Default Re: What is the normal price to have a catalytic converter welded on? (1337 91 EF)

Most any muffler shop will do it for 10-39 bucks like said above... Does anyone know of a place online where you can buy flanges, the 2 muffler shops around here dont sell flanges.
slowdx is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
catalitic, catalyic, catalytic, catilyc, converter, converters, cost, flanges, normal, price, put, shop, weld, welded, welding