Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 civic EX having several electrical problems :(

Old 04-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 civic EX having several electrical problems :(

ok so here is the deal I recently purchased a 98 civic ex and wanting to keep it so I want it to have absolutely no issues. Iīll go one by one traying to explain in the most detailed way each problem.

1.- light flickering: I noticed about 2 weeks after getting the car that the lights at night are flickering, absolutely all of them. Iīve been checking for several days after and same issue is happening during daytime as well. Iīve checked throughout the net and saw somewhere it could be the ELD. Called local dealer to get the ELD and they said they donīt carry it because itīs part of the fuse box. So my question is what if I change the alternator assuming itīs the voltage regulator box and this doesnīt help. What else could it be? The guy from the dealer also stated he had same problem he had his service team check and they changed the alternator and problem solved. Whatīs your experience with this problem.

2.- Rear Left window not working properly: My RR LT window isnīt working as it should. It goes down perfectly although it doesnīt go up at all. Took the motor out and tried putting direct neg/pos into it and it worked fine both ways. I assumed it was the switch so I pulled it out took it apart cleaned and said ok problem fixed, nothing happened window stayed the same so I tried that switch on my RR RT window and it went down and up perfectly. At this point assumed it was the master control so I took it apart cleaned it out put it back in and it problem still existed. So I went to a junk yard got the master control and put the new one in. Long story short it still has the same problem. Only thing left to try is taking both doors apart and check each wire for a possible cut somewhere. Before doing this does anybody have any idea what else it could be?

3.- brake light: ok so when iīm driving and start off too fast the brake light turns on. Iīve checked hand brake and itīs in normal position off. Checked brake fluid and thatīs ok, although I havenīt changed it donīt know if that has anything to do with it. What can it be?

4.- exhaust system: my car sounds like if it has a performance muffler, looked at it and itīs standard factory nothing special in it. so I thought it must be broken or cracked somewhere, put the car on lifts clogged the back and there is no pressure on it, went under the car and canīt find any leak...Any idea what it could be? Donīt get me wrong I love the sound it makes making me believe I have the fastest civic out there and that it has every performance part there could be in it... but itīs completely factory so itīs driving me crazy.

Itīs a 98 civic EX, have no idea what type of engine it carries only know itīs automatic.

Please assist.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Trial User

Default Re: having several electrical problems :(

1 - Check your battery connections, ensure that you have all your grounds between engine and body (3 I believe). Test your alternator and battery, 3 options:
Take your car to the dealer, they should be able to test your alternator and battery for free or very little
OR
Remove both those items and take them to a parts store....most have a way to bench test
OR
Google "battery and alternator" testing; if you have a voltmeter you can test it, but it is not as thorough of a test (doesn't pick up dead cells in battery, or shitty diodes in alternator)
2) Try silicon lubing the track. take off the door skin and back probe the wires going to the connector, make sure it's getting power. Often the wiring harness between the door and body breaks
3) Take off your brake fluid cap a nd double check; if your fluid is good, then it's just a switch sticking by the sounds of it
4) You have an exhaust leak. Jack up car, start it, have a friend hole a rag over the tail pipe. Also check the exhaust manifold, they usually crack in the middle at the o2 bung. It can be welded prettty cheap
Old 04-09-2014, 03:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: having several electrical problems :(

1. Could be several things. Start with checking your alternator. Buy a multi-meter and learn how to use it.

2. This is part of the wiring that goes into the driver's side door for the window controls. You need a multi-meter to continuity check the lines in and out of the doors.

3. Pull it apart and look for a short somewhere. The alternative is in the switch for the brake pedal that tells the lights to turn on. Again, you need a multi-meter. Noticing a trend here?

4. Start the car, pop your hood and slowly pass your hand over your exhaust manifold and in front of it towards the ground. If you feel pulses of warm air, you leak is right there, the next place to look is where the header goes into the cat. Do the same thing, start it and hold your hand around it to feel the warm air.

There, start by picking up a multi-meter and learning how to use it. You don't need a fancy one. I most often use the Innova 3320 with great success. It does everything I need a tool box multi-meter to do, and it was cheap enough to not really worry about it breaking, plus it has replaceable batteries. After that I know there are some DIY articles in the FAQ section that lead you to solving your issues.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: 98 civic EX having several electrical problems :(

Where is your brake fluid level at?

Does the window switch on the actual door work?

Double check your engine harness and make sure those dead plugs in the back are not melting from the heat behind the intake manifold.