Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

ATTS worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTS worth it??

for thoes with 5th gen sh preludes, what have been your experiences with ATTS? noticably better handling? too heavy? what?

also, if anyone has ever also driven an awd car, would you say that you get better traction around corners with atts or awd? (my wreck involved taking a corner too fast, so i am interested in this )
Old 02-21-2003, 12:58 PM

Default Re: ATTS worth it?? (Buttcrack)

Buttcrack?!?!?!? anyway my atts works fine. do you know what the atts does anyway? it does help turning alot, i have fucked around through turns and it just sticks and whips through them, kinda feels like the *** end kicks out(just feels like it, doesnt actually) so its pretty cool. A few time i was scared and thought i was definately gonna make the car understeer but it whipped thorugh the turn, i am happy with it.......unless of course it is true about not being able to turbo it because the turbo with mess with the atts making it worthless, in which case i am pissed!!!!!
atts = fun
good luck on your purchase
oh yeah the sh's are like 80 or so lbs heavier........so just eat less
Old 02-21-2003, 02:18 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ATTS is great for auto-x, not for drag racing. it work wonders on corners and twisties. the SH is made to be a fun daily driving car, not a 1/4 car.

The "double joint" suspension is adopted in the American SH and Japanese S coupe models in order to take full advantage of the greater steering feel, linearity and tremendous cornering power offered by ATTS.

RAD Sugiyama sees a promising future for the ATTS; its adaptation to a rear-wheel-drive, or even a mid-engine, rear-drive super car, like Honda's own NSX, as well as the all-wheel-drive version which Honda has already developed

Honda calls it the Active Torque Transfer System (ATTS), and it seems likely to take front-drive performance cars another step closer to parity with their rear-drive competitors in terms of absolute handling. ATTS distinguishes the standard Prelude from the SH model, our test subject.

Here's how it works. When a front-drive car hustles around a corner, its front tires have to perform an extra function--power transfer--that the front tires on a rear-driver don't. That's why even very good-handling front-drive cars like the Prelude are more prone to understeer than their rear-drive counterparts.

Understeer describes a car's resistance to turn-in. The faster the entry speed to a given corner, the more the car wants to go straight ahead.

ATTS addresses this trait through a clever set of mechanical functions that automatically transfers available engine torque--as much as 80%--to the outside front wheel, and also increases its rotational speed by as much as 15%.

Putting the extra power into the outside front wheel, which typically bears the heaviest load in hard cornering, compensates for the extra load and restores balance.

It's a typical Honda solution to a problem no one else has really managed to solve--and it works.

This is a slightly bigger Prelude. The wheelbase has been stretched almost an inch and a half, overall length has increased by 3.2 inches, height by an inch. It's also a smidge heavier, partly because of the dimensional increases, partly because Honda's chassis engineers have gone through the platform from stem to stern to increase overall rigidity. Dramatically.

[Modified by StickyTires, 6:19 PM 2/21/2003]
Old 02-21-2003, 02:44 PM

Default Re: ATTS worth it?? (StickyTires)

Great info...Cliff notes Autocross'n = FI and Drag racing get the Base if you want to do that...
Old 02-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ATTS worth it?? (LostLude)

Ive owned both a base and SH, and you really can feel a difference when driving both, the SH feeels more steardy(dont know if i spelled that right), ANd the base feels more flimsy, still though the handling is truely superior on the SH. Handling=SH
1/4 mi. Car=Base'

thats how i see it
Old 02-22-2003, 01:36 AM
space cadet

Default Re: ATTS worth it?? (BolivianFuego)

i love my SH. AWD is better, but i take almost every corner my buddie takes in his wrx at the same speed as him. i dont have the guts to take a 45mph corner at anything more than 110. but the tires didnt even squeel at that speed. so i am happy.

Doug
Old 02-22-2003, 03:32 AM

Default Re: ATTS worth it?? (shakes)

uh lets say gotta choose between an base and SH, If u have money for LSD for base ( a couple of g's ) get base, if you dont $$$, get SH
Old 02-22-2003, 09:46 AM

Default Re: ATTS worth it?? (StickyTires)

couple of sh luders i've talked to at auto-x didnt like the atts. they said it wasnt "up to the task" especially on extreme conditions. but great on street/fun driving.

i'd like to drive sh thru auto-x and decide for myself though.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:52 AM

Default Re: ATTS worth it?? (Tekwon-V)

you can beat on mine if im ever down that way

alil on topic still.......so is it true that the atts wont work if you boost the lude?!?
Old 02-22-2003, 10:01 AM

Default Re: ATTS worth it?? (POSlude97)

tell me you dont have some gay *** avatar from a RPG game POS?????
Old 02-22-2003, 10:03 AM

Default Re: ATTS worth it?? (2k1_ITR_0736)

dude, its old school shinobi arcade screen
like 1983 or some ****
you gotta remember that
its not gay....... its old school, know your roots!!!!!!!!!! gotta keep it real
Old 02-22-2003, 02:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ATTS worth it?? (POSlude97)

I've driven both and the SH holds in a curve like it's on rails. Outstanding handles, only other Japanese cars I've been in that handled better were an S2000 and a FD35.

OT, but: Oddly enough though, my best friend totaled his '99 SH in Feb of 2001, and they thought the ATTS actually contributed to the crash. He had been drinking, and as always thought the ATTS made him invincible. He was coming through a semi- sharp sweeper bearing to the left at way way too fast for the conditions, like about 100 mph or so. He hit what they think was a long patch of black ice under the outside front wheel.

Apparently, the ATTS sensed the wheel losing traction and started sending it more and more power, so when he suddenly was back on dry pavement, all the now unneeded power that was on that wheel made the car get squirrely and somehow the investigators thought that from the odd pattern/position of the skid marks that the car broke in half before it hit the guard rail. He said he looked in his right sideview mirror and it looked like the right fender was twisting outwards (but that may have just been the Bacardi talking). Either way, afterwards the car was in 2 pieces and the block was cracked and it went bye-bye, so he bought a S2000.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:16 PM

Default Re: ATTS worth it?? (FinalFlash)

thankyou all for the great input. can anyone confirm the posts about a turbo not working with ATTS? also, am I correct in saying that AWD offers better handling than ATTS? thankyou
Old 02-23-2003, 12:48 PM
space cadet

everything i have read (do s search) leads to ATTS cutting out at 280whp. i would love to know if prospeed can reprogram the ecu to make it work?

Doug
Old 02-23-2003, 12:54 PM

atts makes a big differance in handleing around turns. ive driven both sh and non and you can feel the differance
Old 02-23-2003, 01:10 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can anyone confirm the posts about a turbo not working with ATTS? also, am I correct in saying that AWD offers better handling than ATTS? thankyou
turbo will burn out the ATTS system after a while. also, i found a site that stated they recieved an ATTS error on the first day of auto-x. AWD is the best, then comes RWD, than comes FWD w/ ATTS.

i guess the type SH is made for fun daily driving and not extreme driving.
there is a way to disconnect it but it'll be 80lb of dead weight. if you want turbo, go with the base model.