Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Speedometer showing half of actual speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer showing half of actual speed

My car has done this ever since I bought it so I've learned to live with it. But I would like to do something about it.

My speedometer always shows half of the actual speed I am going. I doubt it is the speed sensor because that would just work or not work. Any help appreciated
Old 01-28-2003, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Speedometer showing half of actual speed (WuWarrior)

Bump
Old 01-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Speedometer showing half of actual speed (WuWarrior)

I take it that you have a 95 Accord from your sig... I really haven't seen your prolem before but there are only a few things that I see it could be... Even tho you don't think it is the VSS I would still test it... Pull it out and hook it up to a multimeter... You should get 4 5VDC pulses for every one revolution... If you say that ur speedo is only registering half of how fast you are really going then you my see that for some reason you are only getting 2 pulses for one revolution.. If that's the case then something is just wrong with you VSS.. Like i said i haven't seen your problem before so I'm not sure... If that checks out good then check both gears on the VSS itself and the speedo gear mounted on the diff... The easiest way to do so would be to jack up the car and have someone hold the clutch in while you have two other ppl rotate both wheels... It sounds like kind of a pain in the *** but you won't really be able to rotate the actual diff gear without atleast havin a person on each wheel... A person holding the clutch in just gets rid of the extra friction from the tranny fluid... If both gears look good then I would see the problem most likely being in the cluster or the wiring from the VSS to the cluster... If you have some way to check the pulses up at the cluster that would also be good... If the signal looks good all the way up to the connectors then I'm kinda leaning towards thinking that your cluster is just messed up... This is about all i can think of for now so Good Luck.... Lemme know if you get it fixed.. Peace