Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Tech/Misc
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 01-27-2003, 10:54 PM   #1
sjracer
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to sjracer
Default Can Z rated tires be patched or plugged and still be safe?

my friend had a flat tire today...he had his Z rated Bridgstone Potenzas (sorry for the bad spelling) that came stock on his '01 IS300 plugged...

i remebered reading a post on this board that Z and Z+ ratted tires should never be plugged or patched because it is unsafe...is that correct?

something about the tire compound being too soft...

of course it's not the sidewall that got repaired but the tread of the tire...

I did a search and nothing came yup...thanks
sjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 05:23 AM   #2
JimBlake
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Can Z rated tires be patched or plugged and still be safe? (sjracer)

I believe if the tire is repaired, it loses its "Z" rating. I guess if your friend goes 150mph & the tire blows up, Bridgestone has an excuse for not honoring their warranty?

'03 Accord & '07 Civic
'01 Saab 9 & '05 9x

TECHNICAL(?) quote...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ??
some guy told me that I could set the torque wrench that I have to 100 ft/lbs and then torque it, when it clicks torque it again at 81/ft lbs to have the torque add up to 181 ft/lbs
JimBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:19 AM   #3
smokin rubber
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Can Z rated tires be patched or plugged and still be safe? (JimBlake)

Quote:
I believe if the tire is repaired, it loses its "Z" rating. I guess if your friend goes 150mph & the tire blows up, Bridgestone has an excuse for not honoring their warranty?
Correct, the tire can be plugged, but the it no longer has a high speed rating.
Karl, 1990 Accord #31, 06-08 H4 + 09 H2 SEHC Champion
sponsored by John's Honda Recycling 803.206.7119 and dmzs.com
smokin rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:39 AM   #4
BROOD
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Can Z rated tires be patched or plugged and still be safe? (smokin rubber)

Always patch repair....internal patch.
Never use plugs to repair a tire.....I'd only plug tires if it were temporary and the only available option at the time. Plugs eventually cause more problems than you started with.

Never perform any repair (inculding internal patch) on the sidewall, only replair the tread/crown area.

[Modified by SLPR, 7:52 AM 1/28/2003]
Old 01-28-2003, 08:33 AM   #5
TheOne
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Can Z rated tires be patched or plugged and still be safe? (SLPR)

just curious but how many of ya'll that just posted, work for discount tire or have worked for discount tire?
2001 type r 01-1094 - sold
TheOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:29 AM   #6
T04-Terror
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Can Z rated tires be patched or plugged and still be safe? (sjracer)

i dont work for discount tire but i do work for national tire and battery. the best type of patch is a patch/plug. it patches the hole from the inside while at the same time plugs it up. works great and is guaranteed to hold for the life of the tire. also the speed rating mainly describes the thickness of the sidewall. putting a patch in the tire wont lower the speed rating.
T04-Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:43 AM   #7
sjracer
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to sjracer
Default Re: Can Z rated tires be patched or plugged and still be safe? (T04-Terror)

okaie...from what i'm understanding is your guy's general consensus...a Z or Z+ rated tire can be repaired on the tread but it will lose its speed rating...

plugs should only be temporary and patches should be used for a some what permanent fix...

is this correct?
sjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:53 AM   #8
BROOD
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
okaie...from what i'm understanding is your guy's general consensus...a Z or Z+ rated tire can be repaired on the tread but it will lose its speed rating...

plugs should only be temporary and patches should be used for a some what permanent fix...

is this correct?
Yep, that sounds about right. Although I have internally patched quite a few track tires that took alot of punishment without any problems after being repaired. I can think of a set of Kumho Victors on a Camero SS that ran tracktime on patched tires and he had no problems. Hmmm

[Modified by SLPR, 12:54 PM 1/28/2003]

submit to reddit

Tags
blowout, chance, patch, patched, patches, patching, plug, plugged, rated, repair, repaired, safe, tire, tires, years