Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 swap...rumors or truth

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 01:21 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default H22 swap...rumors or truth

Ok, I'm sick of looking at every single thread in this forum and having people say..." H22 is too heavy and you'll understeer a lot". Ok, lets hear your reasoning. I want people with the swap to list why you like it and why you don't. I personally don't have one in my car, but my brother does and I drive it whenever I want.

Here's what I do not like about it.
1. Axle issue. Easily solved with custom axles though. We're running 91 Integra axles right now-tight fit.
2. Cable shifter. The feel isn't as good as rod assembly, but you just got to get the feel for it.
3. Toque. I can't drive in the rain with the 6 puck clutch cause there's no middle ground to get traction.
4. Traction itself. On the strip, you NEED slicks.

Ok, those are the "cons" of the swap as I see it. As far as the weight issue, yeah sure it weighs more than my D16Z6 or a B18C5, but it's not like dropping 4 50 pound sand bags in your engine bay. With the right suspension setup, you will have no problems. Also with the H22 swap, you can't be sittin TOO low due to the ground clearance issues.

I love the engine. The sound, the feel, the power, and the close tranny. Mounts are lifetime warranty and are very stiff. If done right, there should be no regrets. It's just different and takes a lot more work than bolting in the new engine and tranny.

This is NOT supposed to be a H22 vs B series thread. I would like this thread to involve people familiar with the swap to share their experiences and their likes/dislikes for others to look upon. This way people don't write down uneducated comments trying to prove points.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (Emerica)

Well for one if you are doing it yourself its a bitch and a half. I was lucky enough to have most of the parts lying around from my Accord which made the transition a little easier..

98 JDM Type S with LSD, need I say more

Dislikes:

Having the Type S engine made me have to buy a whole new tranny bracket
because the S-type one wouldnt work with HCP mounkit.

Still having issues with DSS axles because I dont think they measured them correctly but we are working on the problem

Drinks gas like a fish, but I will be diagnosing that soon enough

And that is all. Car drives fine, pulls hard. And I am not even using the p13 its currently being chipped which is another story in itself..

Overall I am happy with the swap, but I still have a lot of work to do until I am completely satisfied.. But then again I went all out and tried to get everything done at once instead of doing it half assed..

Setup:
98 JDM h22a
HCP mounkit
MSD Digital 6 ingition
DSS Stage III axles
ACT Extreme Clutch
CM Lightened flywheel
Greddy Headers modded to fit
AGX struts with Skunk 2 coils set to (3)
Itr Rear sway with Beak's kit and tie bar
Old 12-18-2002, 08:39 AM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (Jason kiDD)

Yeah I agree that swapping the motor in yourself is kinda of a bitch. It was a really great learning experience for me though.

I actually like the feel of the shifter. It feels nice and crisp and the throw between gears is really tight. If Im hurrying I'll get it in 5th instead of 3rd sometimes. I also like how short the stock shifter is, kinda like I have a shortshifter...heh.

I like the torque that the h22 has. It helps my car stop too. lol. Seriously though, I can be in 5th gear and just let off the throttle. The torque of the motor will slow my car down. I'm used to just shifting into 4th with my stock motor and coasting everywhere.

I did notice a difference in handling with the extra weight up front. The car still handles great, but i can feel the car kinda pulling to the outside of the turns. I don't have any sway bars though since my car is a cx. I think a rear sway bar would correct this. With the weight up front, my car seems to brake better too. I dunno why, but the car feels alot more stable.

My header and oil pan do hange pretty low, but I raised my car up and so far I don't scrap them on anything.

With the axles, I had to go with custom ones from Upgrade Engineering. When I was using the 90-93 accord halfshaft and 90-91 integra axles, my passenger side axle would just pop right out. At first I just put in a custom passenger side axle, but when I would shift or engage the clutch anytime, my car would shudder and shake violently. At first I thought it was just clutch chatter from my 6 puck, but I got worse and worse. Finally I switched back to the prelude halfshaft and put the custom driverside axle in and the violent shaking and shuddering while shifting and launching the car went away. I don't know why this axle combo didn't work for me, because alot of people on this board run the combo w/o any problems. So far my custom axles work great. They do not bind or pop. We'll see how long they last though.

Driving in the rain wasn't too bad w/ my 6 puck. I had to do it two days ago when I was pouring like crazy over here in so cali. I never really lost traction while taking off or shifting. My azenis worked surprisingly well in the heavy rain.

The one thing that I don't like is all the vibration. The mounts are really stiff and the car vibrates ALOT! At idle, if I let go of my steering wheel, I can see it shaking and when the clutch chatters, my whole dash shakes. Also, if I try to accelerate in too high of a gear for the speed I am going, the motor kinda bogs, and the entire car vibrates and rattles everything. I guess all this vibration would be similar to a b-series motor with inserts, but I have not driven a car like that, so I dunno.

Other than that, I love the car now.

[Modified by laugHin22CX, 4:16 AM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-19-2002, 05:39 PM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (laugHin22CX)

I would like to hear more about this....

H22 people keep posting!!

All I have been hearing is that H22's are hard to tune.... sleeves are bad.....

I have even heard that the H22 is honda's **** motor??

is this true?? any personal experience??
Old 12-19-2002, 07:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (Emerica)

Ok, I'm sick of looking at every single thread in this forum and having people say..." H22 is too heavy and you'll understeer a lot". Ok, lets hear your reasoning. I want people with the swap to list why you like it and why you don't. I personally don't have one in my car, but my brother does and I drive it whenever I want.

Here's what I do not like about it.
1. Axle issue. Easily solved with custom axles though. We're running 91 Integra axles right now-tight fit.
2. Cable shifter. The feel isn't as good as rod assembly, but you just got to get the feel for it.
3. Toque. I can't drive in the rain with the 6 puck clutch cause there's no middle ground to get traction.
4. Traction itself. On the strip, you NEED slicks.

Ok, those are the "cons" of the swap as I see it. As far as the weight issue, yeah sure it weighs more than my D16Z6 or a B18C5, but it's not like dropping 4 50 pound sand bags in your engine bay. With the right suspension setup, you will have no problems. Also with the H22 swap, you can't be sittin TOO low due to the ground clearance issues.

I love the engine. The sound, the feel, the power, and the close tranny. Mounts are lifetime warranty and are very stiff. If done right, there should be no regrets. It's just different and takes a lot more work than bolting in the new engine and tranny.

This is NOT supposed to be a H22 vs B series thread. I would like this thread to involve people familiar with the swap to share their experiences and their likes/dislikes for others to look upon. This way people don't write down uneducated comments trying to prove points.

1 axels will not break unless you slam the car....lower no more than 1 inch you won't have problems....
2 if you understeer friggin get some high spring rate springs....
3 traction....in the rain...haven't driven one in the rain
4 mad tq....that is what gets you going...and has more hp than a b18c5 right stock for stock!!!!!!!! and TQ
only 75 more than a b series..... people that talk crap JUSST DON"T KNOW!!!!

if i had 3k i would have one in my car!!! plain an simple!!
Old 12-19-2002, 07:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (Chad)

ps....shifter issues....i personally like it cause you can place it where you want it!!

Old 12-19-2002, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (degooser)

I would like to hear more about this....

H22 people keep posting!!

All I have been hearing is that H22's are hard to tune.... sleeves are bad.....

I have even heard that the H22 is honda's **** motor??

is this true?? any personal experience??
that's rumors buddy...
Old 12-19-2002, 08:16 PM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (Chad)

I have had nothing but good things from my h22 swap. I love every bit of it and driving it everday.

the torque is awesome, the axles i have is DSS stage 1 using prelude mid shaft and I love the axles. 0 problems with everything so far :knock on wood:

I actually like the shifting, it's very accurate with selecting gears, and no matter how fast i shift, it NEVER grinded.

With my previous rod shifter, if i shift too fast it grinds.

I love absolutely EVERYTHING about the swap, and handling is least of my concerns. I am getting suspension that will be of no problem to it, and actually setting up the car for endurance/auto cross/road racing.

The ONLY thing i don't really like about it is the fact it has the EGR system, and the p13 (both usdm and jdm) having the EGR code randomly. it's not a big deal, but everything else is awesome and if i HAVE to complain about something, it would be that.

but a chipped p28 or p30 will solve that problem.

other than that, torque with vtec is absolutely awesome..........especially it being a honda when alot of hondas don't have **** for torque.

And not to be a dick, but i also like bragging how I have just as much *torque* as some of my buddies do *horsepower* with their B series swaps
Old 12-19-2002, 09:04 PM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (poison)

For Jason kiDD

The Type S has LSD are you running a different tranny then the Type S? DId you use the ATTS I have a Type S motor sittin at my friend shop and from what I have been told ITs not LSD but I know when you look into the trannys axle hole its empty no bar in there. Also what axles did you use if it is the Type S tranny. The ATTS unit has a different Axle that runs into the tranny or are they the same as any normals H22 axle. I have done a lot of research and have came up with nothing nor has anyone did a true Type S swap. I have a 4th Gen Prelude I was going to stick it into before my car was stolen. Now I have a 96 hatch and the Type S motor sittin there and need more info on the swap the concern is mainly the tranny. Let me know all the info. Email me at bb6type_s@hotmail.com.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone have pics to share with the swap??
Old 12-19-2002, 09:28 PM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (laugHin22CX)

hey i'm in the proccess of buy a h22 too... i read a couple threads up about the shaking and vibrating and stuff, can that be fixxed...???
Old 12-19-2002, 09:49 PM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (prjctCIVIC)

many pics here of jdmdxturd(shawn)'s swap
i am not gonna speak for him but when i drive his car i love it.....handeling is the same if not better than before the swap(same suspension G/C with stock shocks)
the torque is something i had to get used to seeing that i just have a b-series
but over all i know i love his car and his setup and i know he is very happy with it also
Old 12-19-2002, 10:07 PM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (b16b hatch)

For Jason kiDD

The Type S has LSD are you running a different tranny then the Type S? DId you use the ATTS I have a Type S motor sittin at my friend shop and from what I have been told ITs not LSD but I know when you look into the trannys axle hole its empty no bar in there. Also what axles did you use if it is the Type S tranny. The ATTS unit has a different Axle that runs into the tranny or are they the same as any normals H22 axle. I have done a lot of research and have came up with nothing nor has anyone did a true Type S swap. I have a 4th Gen Prelude I was going to stick it into before my car was stolen. Now I have a 96 hatch and the Type S motor sittin there and need more info on the swap the concern is mainly the tranny. Let me know all the info. Email me at bb6type_s@hotmail.com.
jdm type s and atts are two COMPLETELY different things.

axle set up as for regular non-lsd and lsd equipped trannies are the same. for atts, it is a little different.

Type S is jdm with a Honda LSD where as the Type SH is LSD ATTS system and are 2 completely different things.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (b16b hatch)

I like my swap alot, around where I live not too many people have b series swap not to mention h series swaps. I drive my h22 hatch everyday to/from work 40miles total and the only dislike I have are the following.
1. vibration, not as bad as my b16 ef though so I'm kinda use to it.
2. constant CEL for the dam EGR.
3. loss of traction, I could be in 1st or 2nd and just floor it and it breaks lose.
4. I find my self speeding constantly. 0-100 1st..2nd...3rd....4th......(speed govenor)in about xx seconds.
5. while getting my dose of spirited driving my MPG take a ****.
6. at every meet I go to I find myself repeating everything about 30 times.

Now for what I do like.
1. its dam fast.
2. did I mention it's fast?
3. all the torque I could ever need.
4. I love the shifting alot better than the rod assembly, havent missed a shift yet.
5. handeling is not bad at all.
6. The look on peoples faces when I pop the hood.
7. quiter than my b16.
8. oh BTW it fast.

[Modified by fastwanabe, 7:54 AM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-19-2002, 10:47 PM

good post ... if I can ever get my engine back from the machine shop then I can let you know how mine handles! AAAAAARRRGGHHHH!!!!
Old 12-19-2002, 11:00 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (Hondaddict)

who's doing the machine work??

It's good to see that people are using this thread. The only reason I dislike the cable shifter assembly, is because I'm so used to the stiffness of the rod assembly in my car. I'm getting used to it now and I'm loving it more and more.

My brothers car has Place mounts-one has broken already though(got new one a week later). And with the 6 puck clutch and stiff mounts, it shakes a lot in lower RPM's, but that's avoidable with a street or stock clutch and softer mounts.

I'll list his mods for the fun of it...

Darton sleeves
Weisco 8.8 to 1 pistons
Eagle rods
balanced bottom end
ported/polished head
Ferra valves
Crower springs
Skunk2 retainers( I believe)
stock cams
ported intake manifold
125 shot of Zex- until revhard kit is affordable
chipped P28
Place mounts
Championship white
gunmetal 5 lug ITR brakes

With such low comp, this thing WAILS! I have yet to drive it with the nitrous, and I'm actually kinda scared. He wants to get a revhard kit and push about 15 daily and 20 track with some slicks.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (lilhibbs)

many pics here of jdmdxturd(shawn)'s swap
i am not gonna speak for him but when i drive his car i love it.....handeling is the same if not better than before the swap(same suspension G/C with stock shocks)
the torque is something i had to get used to seeing that i just have a b-series
but over all i know i love his car and his setup and i know he is very happy with it also
where can i find an RSR header for the H22A like this one? is there modifications needed to make it fit?
Old 12-19-2002, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (Downeybear1)

how much power are you guys putting down to the ground? i have a few friends with h22 swaps into eg's and they're all making around 192-197hp with bolt ons and tuning
Old 12-20-2002, 12:13 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (fastwanabe)

As for the vibrations? what type of mounts are you using? or would it really make a different with the type (brand)
Old 12-20-2002, 12:19 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (TKBLAZER)

really what type of i/h/e, ecu??

i seen mostly stock with bolt ons i/h/e to be in the low 180 to mid 180...
Old 12-20-2002, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (~~~InNeEdFoRsPeEd~~~)

really what type of i/h/e, ecu??

i seen mostly stock with bolt ons i/h/e to be in the low 180 to mid 180...
aem cai, dc header, greddy sp, test pipe, fpr, stock ecu with vafc used to tune.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:58 AM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (TKBLAZER)

how much power are you guys putting down to the ground? i have a few friends with h22 swaps into eg's and they're all making around 192-197hp with bolt ons and tuning

Daaamn!! I would be so happy to make those numbers. That's what I'm shooting for, but I would be happy with mid 180s
Old 12-20-2002, 02:56 AM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (s2kcord)

S2kcord, GO AWAY. You are the ruiner of a perfectly good thread. I have posted before on H22, specifically in an EK, all I have got is bashed. Mostly on the handling issues, but it doesnt seem ot be an issue. This thread is sex for an inmate good. Keep postin. THANK YOU ALL
Old 12-20-2002, 05:18 AM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (s2kcord)

s2kcord After you put in a h22 you wouldnt want to put anything else in your car. Its just that simple.. And let me clear up a few things about JDM engines. Yes the tru JDM TYPE S is a h22 with factory ATTS.. But then you also have the h22a SIR and S spec engines that both come with factory LSD and same 220ps or ~217hp..

That is why I dont really refer to the engine as a Type S, but as an S type engine. Does it really matter, no..

As for your situation b16 you may want to look into getting a LSD equipped tranny. Otherwise I have known a few people to use the ATTS trannies with few problems. They were all odb II engines though using the 96 ODB II ecu, which is very rare.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:20 AM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (prjctCIVIC)

Some swap pics can be found here::

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291440367

and here:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291712139

And yes I know the engine bay is dirty, but I was working in someone elses garage so I had to due with the time I had to spare.. Will clean everything up this coming year.

Quick Reply: H22 swap...rumors or truth