Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Road Racing/Autocross & Time Attack
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 12-02-2002, 05:22 AM   #1
MechE00
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Slightly OT: Thinking about Building Autocross gokart -> SCCA Rules help?

Argh! I have a fairly real chance to get a 500cc engine and sequential off a dirt bike for a "hard to turn down" price. I've always had this fantasy of building a buggy/kart that I could use to go off-roading (independent front suspension, swing arm rear, roll cage) on ATV trails and do my own 'rallycross' on a plot of private property a friend's family owns, as well as (much more realistically) using it at SCCA and other autocrosses.

So the question becomes, does anyone know of any informational resources, experiences, third-party horror stories, etc. pertaining to building a gokart with a motorcycle engine for autocross use? I'm specifically interested in tracking down exactly what construction rules/safeguards I would need to adhere to to have the greatest chance of the safety steward letting me on the autocross course?

The price is "hard to turn down" _only_ if I can actually build and run it.. I don't want to throw away that money acquiring garage clutter.

I'd really appreciate anyone who can provide/point me to an authoritative resource in a readable/comprehensible format.. _hopefully_ on the web.. but any advice will be appreciated.
MechE00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 05:55 AM   #2
Crack Monkey
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Slightly OT: Thinking about Building Autocross gokart -> SCCA Rules help? (MechE00)

The last time I checked, the SCCA allows go-karts that meet any of the WKA or other kart club rules. And the only kart class recognized at nationals is F125 (125cc shifters).

With a 500cc bike engine, you would be better off building an A-Mod car. Do a search on Formula SAE (FSAE) for ideas on small, purposed builts. FSAE is the Society of Automotive Engineers contest for university sponsored mini-formula cars. Most FSAE cars are A-Mod legal.
Crack Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 06:34 AM   #3
b_tone
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Slightly OT: Thinking about Building Autocross gokart -> SCCA Rules help? (MechE00)

It's called building an FSAE car. I have built 6 and been team captain for 2 different schools.

http://www.fsae.com

I have lots of experience in this PM me if you are serious.
b_tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 06:45 AM   #4
Vracer111
Honda-Tech Member
2013 Scion FR-S
My Garage

A MOD - where the main rules are a minimum weight of 600 lbs and minimum wheelbase of 60".....

I have a dream of building an A-Mod car one day two - but it involve two high torque electric motors driving the rear wheel. The motors would be powered by a gas powered generator. And I'm thinking of a dual axis gas pedal for independant control of the two motors for "LSD" application; First axis being the same as a normal gas pedal - just press and release. The second axis is where you can rock the pedal left or right. Or maybe I could set it up like an aircraft with yaw pedals....Then I could have an accelerator lever and brake lever mounted to the steering wheel F1 paddle shifter style... mmm, the possibilities!

[Modified by Vracer111, 9:56 AM 12/2/2002]
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
amod, autocross, autocrossing, buggy, build, car, fsae, hbx, kart, mod, nitro, rallycross, rc, rules, scca