Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Vehicle Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle Not Starting

Hello,

My 1999 Honda Accord LX 4Cyl will not start. I have done extensive research and tests but I cannot pin point my problem. Here is what has happened so far:

2 Months Ago (last oil change) - Got word the radiator thermostat was going bad but still okay.

Sunday - Car overheated on the interstate. Pulled off to the side and let engine cool down. Put water in radiator after cooled down and car had a little trouble starting. Kept overheating, but I kept stopping and letting it cool down/put cold water in radiator after cooled down.

Monday - Changed the radiator thermostat, and car would not start after
that. Engine turns, but will fuel will not combust.

Tuesday - Bought a new battery because my crank amps were too low. Still would not start, with same symptoms.

Wednesday - Filled radiator with water and when car cranked, checked to see if water spewed out of the top, it did not (checking for blown head gasket)

Thursday (tonight)
-Checked spark plug tubes for spark - got it.
-Checked main relay for broken solder joint - perfectly fine.
-Put ear to gas tank and when car was cranked, the electric buzzing sound was there (testing fuel pump)

I am at a complete stand still. Can anybody help me out? I really need to get this figured out soon. Car sounds like it is trying to fire, it just won't turn over and I am getting no combustion.

~Thanks
Old 08-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Vehicle Not Starting

Do a proper compression test (well at least with a compression gauge since the proper way would be with the engine warm) especially after repeatedly overheating. When you say spark plug tubes, what are you referring to exactly? Is it possible you unplugged something while replacing the thermostat? I'm also curious as to how the shop knew your thermostat was going bad during an oil change
Old 08-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stop using just water. How hot did you let the engine get, all the way too red mark? An how many times.. There could be alot of things that could go wrong when this happens. Sometimes easy fix sometimes not...

Well for starters check and see if theirs coolant in your oil. Also the block could be cracked, and the head might be warped and/or cracked too. Hopefully this isnt the case... Or your piston rings to the could be dunzo'd an/or welded its self to the cylinder walls.

Does your car even turn over or just clicks?

Maybe check your starter hit it with something metal a couple times and see if it turns over. Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95accordCE6
Do a proper compression test (well at least with a compression gauge since the proper way would be with the engine warm) especially after repeatedly overheating. When you say spark plug tubes, what are you referring to exactly? Is it possible you unplugged something while replacing the thermostat? I'm also curious as to how the shop knew your thermostat was going bad during an oil change
I absolutely agree! Op, putting cold water in a hot motor is never a good idea. Also agree with spooley.... check for water in oil and oil in water. Comp test.... you can borrow a compression test kit at your local parts store...... good luck..
Old 08-29-2014, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so I don't know how the people at the shop determined it was my thermostat. When I first took the thermostat out, there was hardly anything wet in that tank on the back of the thermostat. After changing it and trying to start it, I took it out to look and the water was getting through the thermostat, so I know that at least solved one problem. But how they determined it was the thermostat, I don't know, I just went on their word because I assumed they knew what they were talking about.

The spark plug tubes I pulled out was the black tubes that connect through the valve cover that sit right on top of the plugs themself. I don't think I disconnected anything while changing the thermostat, but I don't know what I couldv'e done. For the thermostat, all I removed was the big black air tube, disconnected a hose from the top of the value cover and unplug the 2 wires from around the thermostat housing.

I don't usually JUST water, I normally mix a little water with coolant. I cannot remember the exact ratio of the top of me head, but I saw somewhere how to mix a little water with coolant and use that instead of just water. Also, this past weekend, the car was running perfectly then all the suddent the tempurature gauge started jumping up and down then finally it hit the top. It would rise, drop, rise, drop. It would rise in low speeds through the city, but as soon as I hit the interstate, it dropped. IDK.

Also, I did not mix cold water with a hot engine. I waited until it completely cooled down. It took a while, but I did wait.

I also did another check I forgot to mention, on Sunday when I had to pull over to let the car cool down, after adding water, I did not see any white smoke coming from the tail pipe. Also, I did not see anything unusual of the oil stick so I don't think there is coolant mixed with fuel or oil. But I am still learning.

What else? I cannot afford to put this car in the shop. I cannot even afford to have it towed to a shop. Im still in college living away from home (parents can't afford it either) and I have made it this far with do-it-yourself-fixes and I know I can do this. Please dont give up on me!!!!!
Old 08-29-2014, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok. I would take the plugs out and inspect them, you may have spark at the plug wires but if the plugs were fouled from coolant (if there is a head gasket problem) or flooded with gas you would have really weak spark and a potential no-start situation. I would check all the basics like wiring because its an odd coincidence that the car wouldn't start after simply changing the thermostat
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The "tubes" on top of the valva cover that connect to the spark plugs arent tubes.... they are wires. Is it possible when checking for spark you reconnected then backwards? When you hit the freeway and your engine cools down.... it is being cooled by the wind... so you have a cooling system issue... check for leaks... upper and lower radiator hoses.... heater hoses (located behind engine and connected at the firewall) there are also other hoses behind and under the intake manifold. Check on the ground for leaking coolant.... (dont run ac while doing these checks..... drips. Off condensation)
Old 08-29-2014, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mike_1212
The "tubes" on top of the valva cover that connect to the spark plugs arent tubes.... they are wires. Is it possible when checking for spark you reconnected then backwards? When you hit the freeway and your engine cools down.... it is being cooled by the wind... so you have a cooling system issue... check for leaks... upper and lower radiator hoses.... heater hoses (located behind engine and connected at the firewall) there are also other hoses behind and under the intake manifold. Check on the ground for leaking coolant.... (dont run ac while doing these checks..... drips. Off condensation)
Just to expand on this, a failing water pump could cause the temp fluctuation as well...has it ever been changed? Not saying thats the issue but its another good thing to look into.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^^^
and a broken timing belt will cause ur car to not start. remove oil cap and look for a brown milky-like mess. if no then not head gasket. u also might want to LOW-PRESSURE wash ur radiator or replace it.

cooling system: water pump, thermostat, radiator (plus various sensors)
Old 08-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A broken timing belt is a pretty recognizable sound, it would help alot if we could hear the car turning over. The milky mess can be mistaken for normal oil/condensation build up from moisture that naturally boils in the system and accumulates on the bottom of the fill cap
Old 08-29-2014, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94 accord typeR
^^^
and a broken timing belt will cause ur car to not start. remove oil cap and look for a brown milky-like mess. if no then not head gasket. u also might want to LOW-PRESSURE wash ur radiator or replace it.

cooling system: water pump, thermostat, radiator (plus various sensors)
I dont think timing belt is broken.... dizzy is turning and producing spark.... however possible that it could have jumped a tooth.... but not consistant with overheating issues...
Old 08-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Test compression as stated before.... cooling issues can be better diagnosed after the engine is running.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay this is good.

I have taken the spark plugs out and everything is fine with them. They were dry at both ends and I even cleaned off the end that goes into the head (from black residue). How could I have put them in backwards? The plugs only fit one way and the wires that connect to them all have different lengths so there is no way I could put them in backwards.

The timing belt was replaced 40k miles ago and it looks brand new. No holes/pieces shredding off. I think the timing belt is fine.

As far as the compression test goes...I assume that is the cylinder compression test? I cannot do this because my car does not run. Every thing I found for a comp test says to start the engine and let it get to normal tempurature. My car DOES NOT start.

I really appreciate all the feedback.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try your starter... is you car just clicking when you turn the key??
Old 08-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your engine doesnt need to start just needs to turn over with the starter.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No clicking, there is no combustion. The engine tries to turn over but won't because there is no combustion.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It wont be as accurate, but as mike said it can be done cold. Leave all the plugs out and keep the throttle plate wide open and turn it over for about 3 seconds.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turning over is when it cranks, i understand what you mean, it turns over but doesnt start
Old 08-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you talking about the compression test?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes. It can be done cold but wont be 100% accurate
Old 08-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After doing a compression test. (Provided you have good compression) next thing to check will b whether or not you have enough fuel pressure. Dont just open the check port see fuel and assume you have enough pressure. Borrow a fuel pressure guage kit too... it should have instructions on how to set it up... or "google" it.... let us know what your compression numbers are. And we will go from there.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OKAY so all the local auto shops will not let me borrow any equipment. They said they would be happy to check my stuff for free if I bring my vehicle up there. And it won't start. So.......

Today I noticed that one of the spark wires was not connected/broken off the distributor cap. I must have accidentally pulled on it when I changed the thermostat. I did a temporary repair and when I plugged it back in, the engine turned over once, then crapped out. Also, I just pulled all my wires and spark plugs out and had the wife crank it up. Needless to say, I got soaked in gas, so I think the fuel pressure is there. However, after plugging the spark plugs back in, and cranking again, I don't think I am getting sparks to all my plugs. I saw sparks coming off 1 wire and the one on the dist cap itself.

Any thoughts?? I am thinking that sparks not getting to the other wires is from a possible bad connection with the coil in the dist cap. I checked for spark a few days ago and I thought each wire had a spark, but maybe I was seeing things. I did that test during the day, and I just did this test at night. Maybe I have some bad spark plug wires?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Was the wire broken? Or the dizzy cap? I would replace both... as well as the rotor.. and while your at it the plugs too....
Old 08-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mike_1212
Was the wire broken? Or the dizzy cap? I would replace both... as well as the rotor.. and while your at it the plugs too....
Auto shops arent going to let you borrow anything... but a parts store will... some ask for a cash "retainer" etc but will refund when you return the kit... you should still check compression....
Old 09-03-2014, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so the local parts stores are not going to let me borrow anything, even with a "security deposit" or something of insurance.

Here is the latest, my spark plug wire are all good and all my spark plugs are good. I have tested each of them with a circuit tester and verified that the distributor cap is getting spark to the cylinders.

When I attempted to fire up the engine, without the sparkplugs being installed, cylinder 2 spout out some fuel, but it appeared to be mixed with water. The other cylinders had fuel mist blowing out of the cylinders and so did this one, but it spout out liquid that appeared to be fuel mixed with water. While I cranked up the car, I had a friend tell me what was happening and he is not engine savvy. But maybe the car won't turn on because there is water mixed with fuel......blown head gasket??

Quick Reply: Vehicle Not Starting