Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Question about exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about exhaust

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. I have been searching around the internet but nothing has come up with what I am trying to figure out. I live in Washington state where I double checked with the emissions office (license tabs) and the WA state emissions website. Even though my car is a CA emissions standard, it does not have to conform to CA emissions standards in the state of Washington.

I have CD5 and I recently bought a 2 piece DC Sports Header. My car being a CA Emissions standard car (Conforms to EPA and CA standards), the mid pipe (pre-converter / post downpipe) and the converter itself show to be 3 bolt configurations (triangle). The DC header that I bought and was recommended from DC Sports is a 2 bolt configuration at the downpipe connecting to the mid-pipe. I also bought a Magnaflow Converter (49 state emissions), yeah I didn't double check before I'm dumb, that also comes in a 2 bolt configuration to the mid-pipe and the pipe leading to the exhaust. I have also checked the CA emissions conveter from Magnaflow and it has a 2 bolt (up front) and 3 bolt (in the back) configurations. The difference between the piping post converter on a 49 state and CA emissions accord is that the CA emissions piping is shorter post converter because the mid-pipe and converter are a bit longer where as a the 49 state emissions piping is longer due to the mid-pipe and converter being shorter.

On to my question now. Since the DC Header downpipe has the 2 bolt configuration connecting to the mid-pipe. I will be going with 49 state emissions equipment. I will most likely be buying the Apex'i WS2 Cat-Back Exhaust system. Will the piping be long enough to reach the converter or will I have to add some extra piping to be able to reach it? All of the parts are bolt on so I would like to refrain from welding unless necessary. If you need refence on what I'm talking about please go to any honda parts website and input 1995 Honda Accord LX and it will show both 49 / CA emissions exhaust diagrams. Exhaust Pipe (2) = 49 State.

This was probably a wall of text but I need to know before jumping the gun and buying the exhaust system. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Question about exhaust

the ex models are 4-2-1 while the lx/dx models are 4-1 ...also the ex models have the oxygen sensor hole in the downpipe while the lx/dx models have the oxygen sensor hole in the exhaust manifold
Old 08-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The header that I bought from DC Sports (HHC5012) was the one that fit my LX on the website. That one has the O2 sensor on the downpipe and it's a 2 bolt flange at the end, the only one that'll fit my Accord. I appreciate that, but, my question was regarding post converter exhaust length.

Since the 49 state emissions mid-pipe and converter are a bit shorter than the CA emissions mid-pipe and converter I was wondering if the Apex'i WS2 would fit the 49 state emissions hardware or if I would have to add some additional custom piping to make it connect to the converter.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:48 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

*le sigh*

There are no 'California' exhaust system.
There is the EX B1 system, LX/DX B2 system, and the Special Edition system.

Plenty of choices for the B1 or B2 cars.
If you have an S.E. and want to modify it, don't waste your money. Sell the S.E. and get a EX or LX/DX.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He's not getting it, mike.