Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

87 2.0 SI Auto , Idle/Surge/Shake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 2.0 SI Auto , Idle/Surge/Shake Issue

New Member And Owner Of a 87 Prelude 2.0 SI Automatic , It has a Shake/surge at idle , Previous owner said it was a Vacuum issue and it is a simple fix , never owned a B20A or really any honda that I actually worked on minus oil changes / slight tune ups , Just wondering if anybody has had a similar or same issue on the B20A motor , Thanks in Advance ! .
Old 08-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 87 2.0 SI Auto , Idle/Surge/Shake Issue

Well , I was told today by a Guy I work with that it could be the IAC , TPS and or a Vacuum issue , Going to try and see if its a vacuum issue before I start buying and throwing parts on it , any other advice, need to know info , etc is Greatly Appreciated ! .
Old 08-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here Are a Few Pics of the Prelude currently , Figured I would add them to maybe help get some attention to the thread lol .

Oh , And these are pics of the previous owners yard before I bought the car lol .
Old 08-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well come to find out , This car has the A20A3 motor , not the B20A as I thought it was , It killed a set of plugs today while trying to get the idle to smooth out , just curious , is the distributor Fixed , or can it be adjusted for timing advance or retard ? , I really should buy a manual for this thing , which is the best , Haynes / Chilton ?? , Any advice is more than welcomed .. also , I noticed its getting condensation on the oil cap on valve cover , almost enough to make me think it has a head gasket issue ?? . Any help or advice is welcomed !.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My 87 si manual has the same problem. It runs amazingly other than the surges. My car also idles high sometimes at 2k. I have fixed all the noticeable problems. nothing seems to work. haven't found any vacuum leaks. Its really hard to find another person with an old prelude. But even when you do. Answers are still not found. I have heard that the distributor on the 87 is know for randomly "blowing up" and the car dying unexpectedly on the side of the road. same with the timing belt. Also of you ever need to find the fuel pump it is not in the tank! I was misled by other people that it was but its actually on the frame! To the left of the back tire.