Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY - LED panel retrofit into Del Sol bumper reflector housing

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DIY - LED panel retrofit into Del Sol bumper reflector housing

Hey guys,

So I was able to retrofit an LED light panel into the housing of the OEM reflector in the front bumper of my Canadian-market (made in Japan) 1996 Del Sol VTEC (EG2).

I did this because I couldn't find a sidemarker from another model of Honda that fit into this space instead of the reflector. Yes, I know...I could have purchased JDM/EDM fenders that have sidemarkers built in, but this costs a lot of money (fenders + sidemarkers + wiring + paint)

If you own a CDM/USDM Del Sol, feel free to try it yourself. The whole process took about an hour and a half. Here is how I did it...

Here is the reflector I am talking about. I actually tinted mine about 2 months ago to be slightly darker than factory using black VHT Nite-Shades spray.

I bought two of these LED dome light panels off of eBay, one for each side of the bumper:

I removed the reflectors from the bumper, and cut into the back of them with a dremel + cutting disc attachment:

I made sure the hole that I cut was just large enough to wedge the LED panel into it snugly. I wanted to test how snug it was, and even after banging on it pretty hard, I was unable to knock the LED panel free from the housing:

I sealed the back with duct tape (temporarily) to ensure no moisture or other debris was allowed to make its way into them. You may think this looks bad, but remember...nobody sees this side!

I wired it so that it only comes on with the turn signal and the hazard (not when I turn on the headlights). To do this, wire the red wire from the LED panel to the green wire of your turn signal (NOT the red wire, which would have turned on the LED panel when I flipped on the headlights). Then, wire the black wire from the LED panel to the black wire of the turn signal.

If I could change one thing about this, I would have put in 2 LED panels into each housing, instead of 1 like I did. This way, the light would go all the way across the lens of the reflector housing.

It is very hard to take a picture of the final product because the light creates glare...but just trust me when I say it turned out pretty good!

Questions or comments welcome. I know the Del Sol isn't very common, and that likely nobody else will try this, but I figured I'd create this thread just in case.

Last edited by andoxviii; 08-14-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY - LED panel retrofit into Del Sol bumper reflector housing

bravo. I might have done it different but im not tryin to criticize ya. good work!

-chris
Old 08-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate the kind words. I just tested it at night and it looks even better. I wish I could capture it well on video or in a picture.

what would you do different? A better way to seal it perhaps? Different type of light? Depending on what you have in mind, I may be able to apply it to mine. It is simple to remove and modify.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

I agree with you, two led's may look more complete. But hindsight is 20/20 lol. Cool idea though.

The only thing I would have done different is in the sealing. That duct tape is not gonna keep moisture out lol. Maybe, buy some permatex gasket sealer or something and seal where needed? Just a thought
Old 08-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have cut out the entire area behind the lens. then I would have cut a plexy mirror to shape and cap the back side of the housing and fit a radial firing led cluster in there some how. it doesn't look as though there is a lot of space between the inside of the lens and the back of the housing, it may require a riser or spacer to have clearance for a bulb/cluster.

the led plate you used was a great idea. even if you were to make a riser/spacer and get some space between the light source and the lens I think that would diffuse the light enough or let it flood the cavity giving the appearance of an oem style light.

sound logical? just my O

-chris
Old 08-14-2014, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate criticism, especially of the constructive type.

Because it is a turn signal, I didn't want to make it too bright. These LED panels are surprisingly bright, and having two of them may be too much behind one lens.

That duct tape is temporary until I have a better idea (which is hopefully where more h-t members come in like you guys! ) but for now, it is sealing it.

The way I did it is more of a "proof of concept" type of install. This is in no way a final product. I wanted to get some opinions from you guys before deciding what else to do. I haven't even soldered the wires yet lol

Changes I still may make are:
- 2 panels instead of 1 per side
- a different way to spread the light across the entire lens (using 1 LED panel, not 2 as mentioned above)

Changes I will definitely make:
- better way to seal the backside
- make it permanent with solder

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks again guys
Old 08-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work. Try taking photos at night, or just before dark from a distance.

Well, you've got me wanting to do it. BUT, I'd like to figure out an install using junkyard parts... Like the prelude side marker grumblemarc suggested.

It's on the to do list!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I suspect one light panel might be enough with some type of reflective backing - I think that it's more subtle with less light. I'm all for subtle!
Old 08-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could also scavenge the back side of a bumper light from a cd6 accord. in the rear bumper is the same type of light... it may not be the same shape, but you could still cut the dome out of the back and transplant it to your lens.