Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic 95 LX Special Prop Valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Civic 95 LX Special Prop Valve

Hey, I'm new to this forum, so hopefully this post is in the right place. I own a CDM 1995 Civic LX "Special Edition". Recently, I've had problems with very squishy brakes. I bled them, and for a time they were better, but after a few weeks they were just as bad as before. I took it to the local dealership, and they suspect that my proportioning valve has a leak. They wanted to charge me $200 for a new one, but I'm not so sure that it would be worth it. So my question is, is there any way I can pressure test the proportioning valve myself to try to find if it is leaking? Another option is to go to the local junkyard and rip a proportioning valve out of a similar EG Civic Si, but I've held off under the assumption that it would not match my car due to the Si's four wheel discs, and my Civic's front discs, rear drums.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:36 PM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Civic 95 LX Special Prop Valve

Originally Posted by Gavin Ward
Hey, I'm new to this forum, so hopefully this post is in the right place. I own a CDM 1995 Civic LX "Special Edition". Recently, I've had problems with very squishy brakes. I bled them, and for a time they were better, but after a few weeks they were just as bad as before. I took it to the local dealership, and they suspect that my proportioning valve has a leak. They wanted to charge me $200 for a new one, but I'm not so sure that it would be worth it. So my question is, is there any way I can pressure test the proportioning valve myself to try to find if it is leaking? Another option is to go to the local junkyard and rip a proportioning valve out of a similar EG Civic Si, but I've held off under the assumption that it would not match my car due to the Si's four wheel discs, and my Civic's front discs, rear drums.
EDIT: I didn't see the CDM. I'm not sure about Canada, but you should have access to an online OEM parts source.

Not saying the dealership didn't identify the problem, but why don't you look at the prop valve to see if it's actually leaking?

Some (USDM) LXs came with the "3040" prop valve that's in the (USDM) Si and (USDM) EX model. Put your VIN number into an online Honda parts store and see what other models share the same part number.

Example: www.hondapartscheap.com (Vehicle 1995 Civic Sedan LX)

eH.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a rear disc swap, 40/40 prop valve, and new brake m/c for under $200 so i'd stay far away from whoever quoted you that price..
Old 08-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Prop valve leaking? Well that is an odd part to malfunction. But, CANADIAN parts diagram says if yours is MT it will use the same prop valve as a 92-95 Si Hatchback. Check here: http://torontohondaparts.com/
Old 08-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

safe for the prop valve not being the problem.... it may be the MC.

is fluid level staying the same or has it dropped? have you checked for leaks at all the wheel cyl?

I once had a car that would do the same thing. it was the MC. the leak was small and leaked rite into the booster. it took some head scratching until the fluid munched the diaphragm in the booster and I had very stiff yet squishy brakes.

just throwing it out there...

-chris
Old 08-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

^ Good post. Yes, a much more likely culprit.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eHMxhACk: It doesn't look like there's any fluid around the prop valve, but I'll double check. I'm not even sure where to specifically look for it coming out. Could it be possible that air would be getting in without fluid getting out?

JDM_SOHC: Haha I'm not looking for a whole brake build or anything, I'm actually just trying to fix this car so I can sell it. But wow, I'm surprised, parts must be pretty cheap where you are!

deschlong: Unfortunately, it's an automatic (part of the reason I'm looking to sell), so taking the one from the junkyard is probably out of the question.

stupidhard: I was thinking that it might be the master cylinder, yeah. I did a couple tests of it in my shop class, and I think we ruled out the master cylinder, but who knows. I think the fluid level is the same, but the car barely gets driven so I'll have to double check. I did check the wheel cylinder, it was completely dry and normal.