Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 Civic Si. Performance Upgrade Help..

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 00 Civic Si. Performance Upgrade Help..

Originally Posted by Diceman1
I have a 2000 Honda Civic Si. Real EM1. Before you comment I have a preference. I will not be changing the Engine or Trans, nor installing a Turbo.
My buddy is going to be holding my hand through all of this lol. But what we may be doing as far as engine is build the head of the B16A and add a turbo. Cams, valves, springs, retainers, etc etc.. Then later on changing the bottom end. (Possibly a B20, thats what a few people have suggested to me).
Old 08-19-2014, 05:56 AM
Swaggylicious

Guys let's be honest,

He's going to get an intake from Pepboys, some HIDs, ebay type r lip and coilover sleeves and dump it on some hubcaps

that's it
Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know....you could buy a 06-11 Civic Si. Those are quick as-is and have a good base for actual performance. You can pick them up for like $7500ish. Sell your EM1 for most of the price of that.

Or...you know....throw a bunch of money that you'll never get back at an EM1 which would sell for a premium if it were left stock.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well...you could buy a 06-11 Civic Si. Those are quick as-is and have a good base for actual performance. You can pick them up for like $7500ish. Sell your EM1 for most of the price of that.

Or...you know....throw a bunch of money that you'll never get back at an EM1 which would sell for a premium if it were left stock.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TracerAcer2.2L
I really don't get the deal about EM1's though, what's the big deal? Their heavy, and not as aesthetic as their pre-facelift counterpart
You shut your ***** mouth!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TracerAcer2.2L
Ah ok, that's what I figured you meant. Glad I'm an EM1 hater then

I really don't get the deal about EM1's though, what's the big deal? Their heavy, and not as aesthetic as their pre-facelift counterpart
Because they were sent from Jesus, that's the big deal!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wahski
lmao
Old 08-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
EM1's are special in a nostalgic kind of way. They're not fast. They're hard to make fast. But you can have fun driving them. My suggestion was to do just that. Handling, braking, tires, driving experience. Those are the most effective areas for a car built for no particular purpose.

I'd rather have a stock EM1 than a 400hp EX.
Exactly!!! I just picked up a '00 EBP EM1 and my intentions are to derice/defuk it, since the previous owners were all dbags and took absolutely horrible care of the engine... I just don't get why people don't get familiar with the vehicle and add only parts that make the driving experience better.

OP you should remove the AC system, remove the PS system, slammm it for those "stance" points, get the loudest - most obnoxious ehxaust system from ebay, some purple hid'zzzz and some stickers and you will be all set. Then you can give me all your oem parts
Old 08-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im confused by this thread, OP wants to make his car faster but at the same time wants to keep it stock? :headscratch: bolt on are point less you would spend $1000's for like 10 whp gain tops, just keep the car stock til you're ready to turbo it.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

But he also said he's not changing the engine, but is looking for a b16 head to rebuild.......I really don't like people who are so indecisive.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id keep it stock. put it in a garage and slowly restore it and throw a cover on it.. But thats just me.

These EM1's will most likely become a collectors item if its unmolested and in good condition. Just like 50 years ago, the muscle cars back in the 60-70's are going for 50k. I bet back then they didnt think they were woth anything.
While this generationn doesnt think about **** like this. But it could very well be a retirement plan when your older.

Too many EM1's have fallen to the hands of inexperienced kids who think they have a racecar or try to make it one.

If you must turbo it. theres really good kits out there. Keep all your old parts incase you want to bring it back to its former glory.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
Id keep it stock. put it in a garage and slowly restore it and throw a cover on it.. But thats just me.

These EM1's will most likely become a collectors item if its unmolested and in good condition. Just like 50 years ago, the muscle cars back in the 60-70's are going for 50k. I bet back then they didnt think they were woth anything.
While this generationn doesnt think about **** like this. But it could very well be a retirement plan when your older.

Too many EM1's have fallen to the hands of inexperienced kids who think they have a racecar or try to make it one.

If you must turbo it. theres really good kits out there. Keep all your old parts incase you want to bring it back to its former glory.

X2! Do only things that can easily be undone and maintain the vehicle.

My father was/is a hardcore aircooled vw guy and he had countless beetles in the 50's, 60's and 70's, then like out of nowhere, they started getting more difficult to find in good condition. Now try to find an early(pre 56), unmolested beetle for anything less than 10g's, good luck.

Keep the car in tiptop shape. Add only tasteful bolt-ons and enjoy the ride. If you want more horsepower, please switch to a different, less desirable model. I'm sure somebody will pay top dollar for a clean em1 that hasn't been fucked with.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had to study more in order to change my mind. I also wasn't changing the motor but i learned a little more and change my mind on that too. The turbo and the swap arnt happening right away that why at first i wasnt asking about it. People were trying to scare me out of it(turbo. Damn, so much hostility.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know what, I can understand that. Im glad im not going to be doing anything for awhile so i have more time to think. So if I do the turbo I could return it to its original self as you said sounds like a good idea. What would you say to rebuilding the stock B16A2 then? To much of a drastic change you think? Getting it machined and what not?
Old 08-19-2014, 04:13 PM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

Originally Posted by Wahski
Bahahahaha!
It's just the headlights, I don't think they look as good.
This is just like in the case of Abercrombie&Fitch or something. You pay for the name, but it's nothing special in reality.

But I agree with everyone else, you should either

1. keep it stock and restore it to perfection, and buy a cheaper car to mod or

2. swap/turbo it, but keep ALL of the stock parts in storage for later.

Because I'm sure that a few years down the road, when you're old and you see these going for $30k+, you'll be crying if you don't
Old 08-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

Yes getting the block machined is too much
Old 08-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Fish Twig

You know what, I can understand that. Im glad im not going to be doing anything for awhile so i have more time to think. So if I do the turbo I could return it to its original self as you said sounds like a good idea. What would you say to rebuilding the stock B16A2 then? To much of a drastic change you think? Getting it machined and what not?
You must not be afraid to mod once you already have begun. All I can say is you should do some research, ask around (sometimes you won't be able to find the answer but at least you know you tried, or hear what you want to hear), following other builds and slightly modify it to your taste.

You can enjoy boosting but that depends on how you go about doing it, boosting a stock current engine safely, boosting a rebuilt engine capable of handling the abuse you know you are about to throw down. You pick and choose. Its just stupid to come on the forum and ask "what would you do" or "what should I do" because I can tell you to suck it and go buy a fiat.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FIAT = Fix It Again Tony

I shouldnt say that. Fiat won an award for best engine design. Beat out Lamborghini too.

If the engine was beat on and it doesnt have the compression it should or a leakdown isnt in spec.. then yes. A rebuild is in order. But if everything is in spec, leave it alone.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:54 AM
Fish Twig

FIAT = Fix It Again Tony

I shouldnt say that. Fiat won an award for best engine design. Beat out Lamborghini too.

If the engine was beat on and it doesnt have the compression it should or a leakdown isnt in spec.. then yes. A rebuild is in order. But if everything is in spec, leave it alone.
Thats why I said buy a fiat.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I own a 00 EM1 also. speaking from experience the b16 is not worth any engine mods. keep the engine stock since you're undecided what your goals are and just keep up with your maintenance. invest in suspension. and please dont get them ugly ebay lip kits. the more "stock" it is the more it'll appreciate itself.

if you decide to swap later down the road, dont swap a b18 you wont be anymore satisfied than you are right now with the b16. I ended up doing a b20vtec(requires a lot of research and do it right!!) the h2b is a good route but you wont have ac/ps although I hear you can customize a bracket for it. kseries can get quite costly but is the revolution of honda engines.

before you proceed with modifications it's important to set goals first. it saves you time and money.