Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Anybody with evap system knowledge or repair manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody with evap system knowledge or repair manual

Long story short i have a 98 gsr. Throwing code p1457 evap system leak. Clear code and it comes back every 100 miles on the dot. I noticed evap canister had a crack in it so i replaced it along with the sensor mounted to the top of it. Now i get p1457 every 50 miles on the dot. I know there are multiple solenoids, valves etc involved in this system. Where do i go next before a leak test? If anyone has a manual with the troubleshooting info for this system and can scan it and send to me that would be awesome. Or if anyone knows anything that can help me i appreciate it as my inspection is up and i wont pass. Thank you
Old 08-11-2014, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anybody with evap system knowledge or repair manual

Take a look at the collection of Honda documents here:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/evap-diag/

I compiled this list on account of the prevalence of EVAP problems with Honda vehicles.

This list includes the TSBs and HSN articles that were available at the time.

The Service Manual did not anticipate the special problems that Honda caused with their questionable decision to locate the EVAP canister and its solenoids underneath the rear of the car. That location resulted in the rust and other corrosion that has led to these EVAP problems.

Last edited by TheRealTegger; 08-11-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Add mention of TSBs, etc.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

http://www.spooledupracing.com/downl...als/FSM/Honda/
Old 08-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheRealTegger
Take a look at the collection of Honda documents here:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/evap-diag/

I compiled this list on account of the prevalence of EVAP problems with Honda vehicles.

This list includes the TSBs and HSN articles that were available at the time.

The Service Manual did not anticipate the special problems that Honda caused with their questionable decision to locate the EVAP canister and its solenoids underneath the rear of the car. That location resulted in the rust and other corrosion that has led to these EVAP problems.
There is a ton of awesome info there, but not one of those mentions 98 integra as the vehicle affected.???
Old 08-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by migsr01
There is a ton of awesome info there, but not one of those mentions 98 integra as the vehicle affected.???
The TSBs may not be for the '98, but they do serve as an indicator of the sorts of things that can go wrong. The diagnostics procedures can be used on your car.

The Honda docs, plus the service manual that Tamboo pointed to, can be used in conjunction to help solve EVAP problems.

I've been told that OBD-II EVAP problems can be very difficult to solve without a smoke machine and an advanced scanner that is capable of turning solenoids on and off. I usually tell people that it's not worth the effort trying to fix EVAP codes if they don't have to.

How many not-ready monitors are you permitted? Many jurisdictions allow at least one. That may be your ace-in-the-hole, here.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont care if the system works or doesnt work. But i have had a cel light for this since the day after i bought car. I would love to be able to drive the car for one day without it coming back on. And i tried clearing it amd getting inspected but the dmv computer still picks it up even when my lights is off. I will be able to get a smoke test if it comes down to it but if theres something i can replace myself to fix it i would rather that first. I just dont want to keep replacing things that are not the problem like i did with the canister. Im leaning towards whatever piece of the system is located near the gas tank is going to be the problem or my ecu is shot.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/p1456-p1457-codes-2951234/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/fault-code-p1457-p0137-2889688/

Search on YouTube for P1457 there's a lot of videos as well
Old 08-12-2014, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can someone explain to me the different valves/ solenoids involved in this system and where they are located on an integra. I know where tje canister is and the sensor attached to the top is the vent shut valve? Then theres another piece of the puzzle attached to the firewall. Then another black box looking thing over by my brake fluid reservoir. What is the name of the part located near my gas tank that is prone to failure from corrosion? After reading all the above info i am so confused because things are in different locations in the different cars those bulletins are for.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The HT links you posted involve files that are already in my list.

Your first link repeats the text of TSB 03-001.pdf, which covers corrosion as being one cause of a P1547, and it DOES cover the 1998 Integra.
Your second link repeats the text of Honda Service News article A020400.pdf.
Both of these are in my list.

How come nobody actually reads the stuff I post? 03-001 clearly covers the '98, and somehow the OP missed that. Is everybody using cell phones to read and post to HT?
Old 08-12-2014, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im leaning towards whatever piece of the system is located near the gas tank
That IS the canister and its solenoids.

The primary problem is corrosion caused by salty water. Honda made a bad decision when they place the EVAP system under the rear of the vehicle, where it's wettest and saltiest.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can someone explain to me the different valves/ solenoids involved in this system and where they are located on an integra.
Reposting Tamboo's link:
http://www.spooledupracing.com/downl...als/FSM/Honda/

It's all in there.

Troubleshooting is not going to be easy.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheRealTegger
That IS the canister and its solenoids.

The primary problem is corrosion caused by salty water. Honda made a bad decision when they place the EVAP system under the rear of the vehicle, where it's wettest and saltiest.
The actual evap canister is not near the gas tank on the integra it is under the hood below the battery.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"How come nobody actually reads the stuff I post? 03-001 clearly covers the '98, and somehow the OP missed that. Is everybody using cell phones to read and post to HT?"

If you read 03-001 it clearly does not say 98 integra, it says 99-01. I did read what you posted and appreciate it very much. My problem is there is SO much info and i think im overwhelmed by it. And im still not quite sure what components of the system are where and what they are called
Old 08-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you read 03-001 it clearly does not say 98 integra, it says 99-01.
Right you are. Sorry about that. Maybe I was looking at the listing for the 2.3CL.

I did read what you posted and appreciate it very much. My problem is there is SO much info and i think im overwhelmed by it.
It is very complicated, unfortunately. But there's nothing for it but to slog through the data and learn what you're troubleshooting. This is why I usually tell people to ignore any EVAP codes if they can, as annoying as the light is. If you don't have to pass smog, or can use an allowable not-ready, it's not really worth the effort to fix.

And im still not quite sure what components of the system are where and what they are called
Go get that shop manual that Tamboo referenced. It's all explained in there.

Component locations are on pages 11-4 through 11-10.
Diags start on 11-135.

The links supplied by Parts Hero have good hands-on information as well, so read them, too.

And, it looks like the canister is in fact under the hood. It didn't move to under the car until AFTER the 2000 MY. So my bad there, too; I should have checked before shooting my mouth off.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for being honest. A lot of people may have tried to start arguments thinking they know everything. I read those things a few times just to make sure i wasnt wrong.
Unfortunately i do need to fix this in order to pass inspection so i cant ignore it. Plus the cel drives me friggin nuts. And then if i have any other problems i wouldnt know as my cel is already on. I plan to print out this info and really go through it good. I also have a mechanic researching this with me before i start throwing money at it for nothing. I personally dont have the knowledge or equipment to diagnose this myself. Im convinced my problem is either whatever part is located near the gas tank as i do live in a snow and salt area or i may have burned out the ecu since this has been a problem for me for a good 3 months. I have another ecu i can try which is free. I appreciate all the info. I WILL beat this cel! Lol
Old 08-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

[IMG]

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab152/yebabee/14574_zps4daeece3.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by HondaPartsHero; 08-12-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update. Still need help. So far have changed evap canister, sensor attached to the top of it, two way valve and bypass solenoid. Also located a bad wiring connection under the rear seats so cleaned and fixed it along with some dielectric grease. Also had system smoke tested with no leaks. Car is still throwing the same code. Where do i go from here?
Old 09-18-2014, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any help? Could it be the ecu has gone bad from driving the car so long with the light on and not being able to fix it?
Old 09-23-2014, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So sick of looking at this CEL!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any help? Could it be the ecu has gone bad from driving the car so long with the light on and not being able to fix it?
HondaPartsHero posted actual pages from the manual.
I posted links to some other Honda troubleshooting docs.

If you've followed all of the documents posted and have had no success, then maybe it's time to pay a garage to do the work. You can thank Congress and your federal EPA for this headache. Remember that at the next election.