Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes
View Poll Results: How do you tighten tappet locknuts & valve cover acorn nuts?
Use a torque wrench to torque to spec
50.00%
Use a regular wrench and tighten by feel
50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Valve Adjustment Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Valve Adjustment Questions

Hey guys. Wondering about 2 things.

1.) How many of you guys use a torque wrench to torque the locknuts to spec... and the valve cover acorn nuts, and how many just do it by feel?

2.) In several write ups, as well as a youtube video all for this same procedure, the valve clearance is being measured by sliding the feeler under the tappet screw. I have a copy of the Honda service manual, not a Helms or other 3rd party service manual, but the ones that Honda technicians use. In that manual, they show the clearance being measured in between the cam lobe and rocker arm. Does anyone else do it this way?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:13 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Valve Adjustment Questions

Originally Posted by HiGhGuY
Hey guys. Wondering about 2 things.

1.) How many of you guys use a torque wrench to torque the locknuts to spec... and the valve cover acorn nuts, and how many just do it by feel?

2.) In several write ups, as well as a youtube video all for this same procedure, the valve clearance is being measured by sliding the feeler under the tappet screw. I have a copy of the Honda service manual, not a Helms or other 3rd party service manual, but the ones that Honda technicians use. In that manual, they show the clearance being measured in between the cam lobe and rocker arm. Does anyone else do it this way?
I am a technician by trade so i have a pretty good feel for things that ive done 1000 times. but I would always recommend someone to use the proper torque.

the ONLY way to measure the clearance is between the cam lobe and the rocker pad. no other way will give you a reading on the clearance, you have misunderstood.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ditto
Old 08-02-2014, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98vtec
the ONLY way to measure the clearance is between the cam lobe and the rocker pad. no other way will give you a reading on the clearance, you have misunderstood.
Haha, I think you are the one who misunderstood... my original post. The way I thought I was supposed to be doing it, and the way I did it in the past on my 4th gen, IS in between the cam lobe and rocker pad.

I was just saying that in several write-up's I've seen on various websites/forums, and a YouTube video, the people were using their feeler gauge under the tappet screw, NOT in between the cam lobe and rocker pad. That struck me as odd, considering that in the Honda service manual for 5th gen preludes, it clearly depicts it being done in between the cam lobe and rocker pad.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Helms makes the actual Honda service manuals.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think whoever is measuring under the screw might have a screw loose haha.

AS for the torques, I am with Blake, and have developed a good hand for those guys, but would recommend a torque wrench if not sure. Especially the acorn nuts, they strip out so easily if over-torqued.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want piece of mind use the correct torque, I know in the manual it says tighten with a wrench while holding the adjustment screw in place, but I've never had a problem with the adjustment screw over-tightening when torquing the locknut, of course always double check.

I think the videos you have been watching where the feeler gauge is used directly under the adjustment screw may be of an OHV engine

hint: the manual will say something like 0.003-0.004... it means you want the 0.003 to fit but not the 0.004 feeler gauge to fit or else you'll still be 0.004-0.005

hint 2: it's easier to insert the feeler gauge from the opposite end of the cam nose (the manual shows a feeler gauge being inserted on the nose side)

hint 3: removing the spark plugs makes it a lot easier to crank the engine since it doesn't need to compress, DO NOT rotate the engine clockwise at all, crank counter-clockwise only
Old 08-08-2014, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why is this even a question. If you have to ask these kinds of questions, you clearly cannot work on cars very well. Use a torque wrench and save your ***.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For many things outside of the engine I torque by feel. For anything internal I always use a torque wrench.