Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

starting issues on my 1997 Acura 3.2 TL, just hit 200,000 trying to keep her going

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issues on my 1997 Acura 3.2 TL, just hit 200,000 trying to keep her going

So the other day my car went crazy. Went to check why it would'nt start this time.

Within the last 3 Years
-replaced the starter twice! (2011)
-Brand new Main relay (2012)
-Brand new battery (2014)

It starts clicking again. Go to diagnose it, click click click, starts up. turn the engine off....the starter is still trying to start the car, cranking it over with out me.
I take the key out of the ignition, starter is cranking my engine like a bat out of Hell! Key is out of the ignition. I am running to get a wrench to disconnect my battery. come back, it had already stopped going crazy.

On that note
-Brand new ignition switch (few days ago)

Just started again yesterday, the "CLICKING" is back. I'm wondering if my 3 year old Denso Re-manufactured Starter has already gone bad?!?! any ideas you guys can think of? Very appreciative of any Help. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starting issues on my 1997 Acura 3.2 TL, just hit 200,000 trying to keep her goin

ok from what I have researched extensively is that. the Solenoid will eventually be the first to go on the majority of starters....in which the the solenoid starts to "stick" (weather it be the clicking and not engaging,
or getting stuck in gear and trying to start itself without the key in the ignition. Hence the "sticking"(either getting stuck and not engaging, or engaging fully and not dis-engaging)

Last time this happened, when I would get really stuck, and it would just click, I use to be able to do a light tapping on my Starter for it to "unstick" itself and it seemed to work everytime.

Can anyone else remotely confirm this information? Apparently it is common for Starters to act this way when they have a bad Solenoid?
Old 08-09-2014, 02:22 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: starting issues on my 1997 Acura 3.2 TL, just hit 200,000 trying to keep her goin

light tapping on my Starter for it to "unstick" itself and it seemed to work everytime
IV had to beat on em with a hammer before. IV never had one that said "screw you i'ma keep spinnin!!". But IV gotten cars to start by beating em with a hammer before
Old 08-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turns out being a faulty starter! 3rd starters the charm (atleast this one is a new one and not a remanufactured starter like my last 2) its fun changing the starters on these 3.2 first gen TL's.

gotta remove the axle and once you have that out...... you need about a 24" extension composed of wobble extensions (3-4) and a swivel tip with a 14mm, just to get to the top bolt (follow the exhaust and you will find it)

if you dont fully tighten the top bolt before you tighten the bottom bolt all the way, you'll be screwed. That Top bolt has to tighten before the bottom bolt. should have done a DIY with this 3rd one while I was changing it....oh well.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

See my post on
Acura TL starter problem!? please help!
Old 01-18-2019, 06:11 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by big-cat
So the other day my car went crazy. Went to check why it would'nt start this time.

Within the last 3 Years
-replaced the starter twice! (2011)
-Brand new Main relay (2012)
-Brand new battery (2014)

It starts clicking again. Go to diagnose it, click click click, starts up. turn the engine off....the starter is still trying to start the car, cranking it over with out me.
I take the key out of the ignition, starter is cranking my engine like a bat out of Hell! Key is out of the ignition. I am running to get a wrench to disconnect my battery. come back, it had already stopped going crazy.

On that note
-Brand new ignition switch (few days ago)

Just started again yesterday, the "CLICKING" is back. I'm wondering if my 3 year old Denso Re-manufactured Starter has already gone bad?!?! any ideas you guys can think of? Very appreciative of any Help. Thank you!
hey, what's up man my names zach an yes i know exactly what's wrong with it my suburban had the same issues follow the wires connected to the starter an follow them back somewhere you will find a wire that's grounding out . Its probably decently expensive to have a perfesional fix and rewire the wiring harness but its far easier faster and cheaper to.
follow the wire fined where its weathered exposed or ground out if the copper looks good you might be lucky and temporarily use electrical tape around it to creat a solid connection again or fix it like me. Its solid good as new no issues.
Cut out the bad segment of wire.
Take it to local hardware store, get the same gauge electrical wire and one able to handle elements and high heat.
heat shrink and (good connectors or twist wires weaved in together) so they will NOT wiggle loose.
last step go enjoy all the money you saved!!!!
Also make sure battery cables are tight an no corrosion.(brush with water and baking soda use toothbrush)
Check all fuses
and it will be good for years to come.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found that the same issue is with the auto gear shift box, by moving the auto gear handle around while in park and over and back plus pushing down on it seems to release the problem and the car starts.
Apparently apparently there is a switch to do with the auto shut off down in the box somewhere but I can't be bothered pulling the box apart to find it when this works for me my car is a 1996 with 348000 km and is 22 years old and just keeps going.only real problem I've had is the ABS where I got a new accumulator put in and that fix that problem.
Good luck folks.