Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

My Gas Milage Is Horrible

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Gas Milage Is Horrible

Hi,

I drive a 2014 Honda CRV 2WD LX and my current gas milage is 20.6 mpg. I have researched online and asked around, but no one has been able to really helped me out.

My current milage is 4300 and I do not drive like a maniac. There is not that many hills in my area, at least enough to have my milage that low. Someone informed to turn off the ECON button and see how that affects my milage. I have only turned it off for a day so far.

When I bought my car in December 2013, they filled my tank 3/4 full and the milage was horrible. I was getting 14 mpg. After that gas ran out and I filled it up with Costco gas, it went up to 20.5 mpg.

I really want my milage to improve, but I do not know what I have to do fhr that to improve. Can anyone help?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Gas Milage Is Horrible

does it have a bad alignment?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:47 AM
DixielandImports Please

Tire Pressure?
Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just researched on what you meant by a bad alignment and no, I do not have that issue either. The tire pressure is fine, but I do not understand why I am having this issue with my milage. :/

I do not want to waste my time going to the dealer and asking if they really won't be able to help me out. When I bought my car, the dealer did not even know what the ECON button was.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you going off the vehicles mileage reading?

have you manually calculated your gas mileage? take (miles driven)/(gallons added) between fill up

looking it seems like 23mpg is your city average. if you don't do any highway driving I would assume you're going to get in that range. do you have a lot of stop and go driving or extended periods where the vehicle isn't movie with the engine running?

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/noframes/34227.shtml
Old 07-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A lot of city driving and having the a/c on, really kills your MPG.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My work is 10 minutes away and my school is 15 minutes away. I do not drive that much to be honest. I have had my car for 7 months and it only has 4300 miles. There is stops in between my home and work/school, but thats normal in any area?

I took ECON off 2 days ago and my mpg went from 20.6 to 20.7 today..

I do drive freeway from time to time, but not daily and not a lot when I do so. Also, I hear most people get betwen 23-26 mpg. I want to get that amount. I understand I drive an SUV and its going to waste more gas than a sedan, but I did not think my gas milage was going to be this bad.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

city driving with your AC on = lower gas mileage.

get used to it man. its just going to happen. and you're doing all city driving.

Stop going by the IN DASH MPG calculation as the word of god.

do this at next fillup. clear trip a. then upon the next fillup take those miles driven / gallons added

if you take longer drives on freeways/interstates you'd notice a significant increase in MPG but you do city driving which is going to have your MPG suffer

no offense but you bought a brand new car and are complaining about it getting 2 mpg under the rating it has for city driving and you do only city driving.
Nothing sounds wrong with your brand new car, you're getting about the estimated rating. If you have frequent stopsigns/redlights/periods where you're at a stop and the engine is running, you're going to use much more fuel. it's not the stop that costs you fuel it's the acceleration back to whatever speed you were previously.
they probably don't calculate that rating with your AC on which I'm assuming unless you're in Alaska you're driving with your ac on right now.

If it's that big of a deal you might want to consider trading it in on something more fuel efficient. no SUV is going to give you great numbers.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dogbiscuit
city driving with your AC on = lower gas mileage.

get used to it man. its just going to happen. and you're doing all city driving.

Stop going by the IN DASH MPG calculation as the word of god.

do this at next fillup. clear trip a. then upon the next fillup take those miles driven / gallons added

if you take longer drives on freeways/interstates you'd notice a significant increase in MPG but you do city driving which is going to have your MPG suffer

no offense but you bought a brand new car and are complaining about it getting 2 mpg under the rating it has for city driving and you do only city driving.
Nothing sounds wrong with your brand new car, you're getting about the estimated rating. If you have frequent stopsigns/redlights/periods where you're at a stop and the engine is running, you're going to use much more fuel. it's not the stop that costs you fuel it's the acceleration back to whatever speed you were previously.
they probably don't calculate that rating with your AC on which I'm assuming unless you're in Alaska you're driving with your ac on right now.

If it's that big of a deal you might want to consider trading it in on something more fuel efficient. no SUV is going to give you great numbers.
I understand that, yes. But every mpg counts in my opinion. I was just concerned on why I was not getting the mpg that it states on the car and on their website.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's brand new, I'd take it to the dealer for a check up. They should not charge you anything as you should still have full warranty. It might be a pain to go there, but at least the full inspection will give you some reassurance.
As other have mentioned, suv + all city driving = bad mpg. Get a civic, if 1-3 mpg makes a difference to you. Those are probably cheaper too.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So you bought a SUV for gas mileage and warm climate? Interesting perspective. Just because you "don't drive like a maniac" doesn't mean you are driving right. I see people floor it just to get to the speed limit and go slow. Get a different vehicle or learn to driver better or even hypermile. Most dealerships around here charge $75 inspection fee if nothing is found. Keeps the rift raft out.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging but how little you drive and how much of that is city driving I would say your millage is normal.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also if you are only driving for 15 minutes at a time the engine will never get up to proper temperature where it will be at its most efficient.