Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch master / Brake master Cyl Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch master / Brake master Cyl Questions

I just finished my gsr swap.. now Before I had done this.. clutch pedal and brakes where fine.. after swap.. I noticed my brakes will work if pumped... But if I drive for awhile without touching brakes they'll go almost to the floor, untill pumped again and they work again, No leaks on any end of car. Nothing was done with brakes other than swung aside to take axles in and out.

Also, clutch feels like its engaging low.. and when pumped works better, but isnt much of an issue after that. I checked where the pedal hooks to clutch master cylinder at firewall inside of car noticed a small ammount of black gunk where the shaft goes into the clutch master... But it doesnt grind and clutch works all the time..Would you suggest replacement of clutch AND brake master cylinder? Or just try bleeding the clutch at the slave.. and replacing brake MC?

OH, I tried the whole.. pump the brake up and then hold with firm pressure with key off and the brake pedal does not sink slowly... I heard a few of my friend say they went to replace the master.. to find out booster was bad. Is this a good sign its the booster and not MC? Im not loosing much if any fluid at all, out of either reservoir ..

Thanks for reading, I did a bunch of searches.. but couldnt find anything that suggested with certainty that it was booster or Brake MC. Could this have been a oncoming problem but not noticed till the gsr swap? Also Can you bleed Clutch by just removing the top to the clutch master and pump and letting bubbles pop up? or MUST it be done at the slave cylinder with that impossible bleeder?

Thanks again!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:25 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Clutch master / Brake master Cyl Questions

Check that your axle nut is tight. Should be like 130-150 lb-ft of torque, IIRC. Also check your caliper slide pins.

Your clutch pedal probably needs adjustment or the system needs to be bled. You need to do it via the nipple on the slave cyl. Impossible bleeder? It's right there.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Check that your axle nut is tight. Should be like 130-150 lb-ft of torque, IIRC.

Your clutch pedal probably needs adjustment or the system needs to be bled.
Hmm really, axle nut? will do, about to drive it down to my garage, could you elaborate how this effects the brakes? just for future knowledge. And ty for quick reply, Also I figured the clutch just needed to be bleed... Ive seen bad bad clutch masters and liquid is leaking on to carpet.. Mine kinda looks like a build up of grease or junk..I see nothing blatantly running. thanks again.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 AM

If the axle nut is loose, the hub can shift or move around. Not a bad idea to check the pins while you're down there also.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bled the clutch, works much much better! ty! I found a kink in the front driver side caliper... twisted it back into stock position... brakes still will go to floor if not pumped before use... so can I assume this is MC? almost axle nuts are good and I never took the pins apart when i did the work, and were not stuck prior... just wired them calipers up to the side... no leaks on any corner of the car...worked perfect before the swap.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:15 AM

You should check the pins. You probably compressed the caliper while removing/installing. Don't assume. It's easier than checking or replacing the MC.