Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

82 Civic DX

Old 07-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 Civic DX

Picked up this 1982 Honda Civic for my girl last fall, got a smoking deal on it here in Denver off of Craigslist. Think we originally paid $450 for it, and drove it home! It was in really sad shape, a decent dent on the passenger quarter, trashed interior, owner must have had a dog with them everyday in this thing because I am still removing dog hair from it! Seats were trashed, door panel was missing vinyl, rear view was broken, switches barely worked, the list goes on...

Shortly after bringing it home:

Dent on passenger quarter, before and after:

Not perfect but better!

Exhaust system was rotten, found the mid pipe on Rock Auto, got the muffler from the junkyard as i couldnt find a new one anywhere! Gave it a coat of rustoleum black to help preserve it.

Wheel bearings, also sourced from Rock Auto:

Everything looked great inside the drums, even replaced fuel filters:

Was having issues with the headlights and couldnt clean the switches well enough so I replaced the headlight/high beam switchy with one from an 82 Accord. Everything was the same except for one wire color:

The interior was trashed, so I replaced the front seats and pulled the rear. The ronts came out of a 2000 Accord, and i think they are close enough in color. Made myself a storage compartment for tools and fluids for those emergency roadside repairs. Still need to carpet it, thinking outdoor carpeting from home depot will do the trick:

Finally made myself some rear speaker pods from the existing cubby holes:

Since the Civic is an auto and we both hate driving autos, especially one with a 30 yr old transmission we are converting it to manual in the future, so I sourced the necessary pieces for most of the conversion, including the badges and a matching passenger door panel! Just trying to figure out if we want to keep it stock or do a swap, and swaps in these arent the easiest. She want fuel injection, I want more power, so its a win win if we do end up swapping.

Picked up a set of 87? prelude? wheels. Just need summer treads for them as they had studded snow tires on!

Emissions test day. Here in the city of Denver they test your emissions, must have Cat and everything required for emissions that was originally on the vehicle. I have a friend with a wagon that installed a weber and passed, but the test guys were under his hood for a good 20 mins making sure everything was hooked up. (Which it isnt, shhh!) We passed that day, these cvcc engines ran clean for the day:

Well, that is where I am at with this little hatch. We have been driving it since October and have put a good 5k miles on it. Odometer is currently at 211,000 and still running strong! Not sure what I have planned for this car, but we will see where it goes!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 82 Civic DX

For what you have done with it it looks great. I don't have the option of removing the back seat on my 86 civic si. The rear seat is occupied by three rambunctious kids most of the time, but what you did with the plywood gives me an idea for a new cover for the spare tire.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice work,

u have found a good condition car and done good necessary changes. wood work is solid, whats about its parts availability.......
coz here in Pakistan, these cars are getting lesser by numbers and gradually ending up
chopped down................
Old 08-25-2014, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job! Especially the contour accuracy with the plywood in the back.

I think that emissions testing on a 25+ year old car are outrageous though...
Old 09-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, emissions is a pain in the butt! It is an '82, which is the first year they require the stricter emissions testing here in CO. And finding parts is definitely becoming more and more difficult. I have a few online sources and am always scrounging the salvage yards when they get one of these in stock.

Slight update, was given a front lip from a first gen CRX. They fit beautifully and only require a little trimming. Love the sportier look.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work... Suggest that you hold on to the original 13" wheels. I'm going to keep in mind the lip from the CRX!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, the original steelies are in my garage, the ones installed in the pic are from a 3rd gen. Had to do a little modding to the centercaps to get them to fit, and they are still arent perfect, lost one recently. Plan is to have two sets of wheels, summer and winter.

I had a D16A1 i was planning on dropping in, but decided to go a different route and find a more common engine. Currently searching for a salvage 92-95 Civic EX to source a D16Z6 from. Will be updating when it happens
Old 10-20-2014, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you do proceed with an engine swap, (which I don't recommend), I might be interested in the 1500 core...
Old 10-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Minus the bike rack, the car looks great.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, love the roof rack too.