Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

CAI and warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI and warranty?

Hi there,

New guy with a new guy question. Does a Cold Air Intake affect the warranty on a new Honda? I like the idea of one, but not at the cost of losing my warranty.

Thank you.

John
Old 07-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: CAI and warranty?

Unless the CAI caused whatever damage was done, no it does not affect the warranty. Honda can't claim your CAI caused the A/C compressor, or transmission to go out, in other words. Who knows what they could claim your CAI did to the engine, if something goes wrong with it. Personally, I don't see the need, but it's your car.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks BLKFLSH,

There is no CAI, no damage, no claims. I was just wondering if it voided any warranty. I should have worded that better when I asked.

Thanks.

John
Old 07-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm just saying there is always that chance. Something will go wrong with the engine, and they can always claim the CAI caused it, and deny warranty coverage. Then you would be in a bind trying to prove the CAI didn't cause it. All an intake will do is make noise IMO anyway, so why take any chances. I'm sure those with a CAI will have a different opinion.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Valid points, thank you.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe this is just me being an old fart, but CAI isn't worth it in any way, in my opinion. You'll get tired of the noise, you won't see a whole lot of performance increase, and you're opening yourself up to liability as BLKFLSH mentioned.

I had a CAI on my Accord when I first purchased it, and it was constantly causing CEL's. I ended up replacing it with the stock intake and couldn't be happier about that.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a specific bulleting written by Honda on the Acura side that address the use of K&N filter. Many CAI system use K&N I would think this would apply.

I've used K&N on my OEM box and CAI, and SR. No problems. One car has 206K miles.

Anyhow....The letter is for the dealer to inform customers that it will "void" warranty.

Yes, Honda can push you around. Are you going to challenge it? If your car is out of service, they got the upper hand.

I would not shy away from it. I'm using it (in one car), and would recommend it.

But like anything, use it at your own risk. And know that if something goes wrong, you are on your own.

However, (if you don't over oil it), I don't believe it will cause you any problems.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't find the actual pdf with a quick serach. You can look for it if you wish. But there is the text. Honda Service Note b050400

Cold air intake systems and low-restriction air filters are hot aftermarket accessories. Popular among the import tuner crowd, these items may improve engine performance by letting the engine breathe more deeply, reducing the intake air temperature, and cutting down on weight. And for that all-important sound when you wind up the engine, cold air intake systems help produce a deep, throaty tone. Stock air intake systems are designed to clean the intake air, minimize intake noise, and keep water from getting into the intake tract, all the while putting out the most horsepower and torque. Although cold air intake systems and low restriction air filters kick up engine performance a notch, they also have their dark side. They can really mess up the engine, and that’s not covered by warranty!

With cold air intake systems, you run the risk of engine damage from hydrolocking if you drive in wet weather or plow through standing water. These systems are usually designed to draw air from the bottom of the engine compartment or from the front of the radiator where the air is cold and dense. The air filter used in these systems doesn’t sit in an air box, so water that gets sucked into the filter gets sucked right into the engine. When enough water gets into the engine, the piston can’t fully compress the air/fuel mixture (water doesn’t compress) so it stops before reaching top dead center (TDC). Even though the piston stops, the crankshaft just keeps turning from inertia. As a result, the connecting rod bends and gets shorter. With each compression and power stroke, the connecting rod flexes until it eventually fails from metal fatigue.

With low-restriction air filters, you run the risk of premature engine wear and contamination. Many of these filters just don’t work as well as stock air filters do. Microscopic debris can get past the filter causing premature wear of the pistons, piston rings, cylinders, and valves. It can also foul up the throttle body, and the components of the intake manifold runner control (IMRC), intake manifold tuning (IMT), and idle air control (IAC) systems.

So what’s the bottom line here? Tell your clients they’re taking a really big risk if they run the vehicle with a cold air intake system or a low restriction air filter. Engine damage caused by these items isn’t covered by warranty, and that could take a big bite out of their pocketbook.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboyupnort
Hi there,

New guy with a new guy question. Does a Cold Air Intake affect the warranty on a new Honda?
John
Yes.

It is not considered an OEM or equivalent replacement.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks very much for the information guys. I need the warranty more than I need an extra 7 hp (or whatever it is).

I will leave it stock.

John